Bronx Redesign Draft Released

6 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

Tuskegee will operate the M125, with artics. There are no other changes to Manhattan depots.

West Farms

Bx6, 6 SBS, 8, 11, 17, 19, 21, 27, 31, 32, 33, 35, 36, 46

Kingsbridge

Bx1, 2, 3, 7, 9, 10, 13, 15, 18, 20, 28*, M100

*One round weekdays

Gun Hill

Bx4/A, Bx5, 12, 12 SBS, 16, 24, 25/26, 28/38, 29, 30, 34, 39, 40/42, 41 

So is the Bx22 still operating out of Gun Hill Depot under the new redesign?

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Yes it is. Seven prolly forgot to put it on the Gun Hill section: However, yes Bx22 still GH

Question for @SevenEleven  it may be too early to ask but with Tuskegee getting the M125, do they lose M31 to MQ (Downtown) and M35 (MCH) or only M31 is leaving? 

12 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Missed it, Gun Hill

8 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Yes it is. Seven prolly forgot to put it on the Gun Hill section: However, yes Bx22 still GH

Question for @SevenEleven  it may be too early to ask but with Tuskegee getting the M125, do they lose M31 to MQ (Downtown) and M35 (MCH) or only M31 is leaving? 

All Manhattan routes are staying at their depots

20 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

Tuskegee will operate the M125, with artics. There are no other changes to Manhattan depots.

West Farms

Bx6, 6 SBS, 8, 11, 17, 19, 21, 27, 31, 32, 33, 35, 36, 46

Kingsbridge

Bx1, 2, 3, 7, 9, 10, 13, 15, 18, 20, 28*, M100

*One round weekdays

Gun Hill

Bx4/A, Bx5, 12, 12 SBS, 16, 22, 24, 25/26, 28/38, 29, 30, 34, 39, 40/42, 41 

so i take the bx41 SBS is still at gunhill?

15 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Space seems kind of tight already with the M101/102/103, M15, M31, and half of the M35. Won't it burst at the seams with the M125 thrown in?

18 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Space seems kind of tight already with the M101/102/103, M15, M31, and half of the M35. Won't it burst at the seams with the M125 thrown in?

Possibility. Does OH have the same cap restrictions as OF on how many buses it could hold at the depot?

2 hours ago, Lex said:

The Bronx doesn't lend itself too well to much more than that.

I heard many of the complaints were from Co-op City, but I didn’t hear much more than that. I think they jJust want to get this through since it was approved, but it seems this was also done before their use of Remix, which would help them with the creation of new routes.

18 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

I heard many of the complaints were from Co-op City, but I didn’t hear much more than that. I think they jJust want to get this through since it was approved, but it seems this was also done before their use of Remix, which would help them with the creation of new routes.

Yes, I absolutely think they just wanted to get something through just so they can say they did "something". There were absolutely better/more thorough changes that could've been made that were simply brushed off. 

The same with Staten Island express. They list it as "Completed" but they didn't use the more thorough methodology of frequency vs. coverage, and they definitely didn't use Remix. (It really irks me when I hear MTA officials say that Staten Island is complete...the express could barely be considered complete, let alone the local)

19 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

There were complaints all over the borough and petitions started as well.  The residents that live in the borough were very clear. They did not want many of the changes that the (MTA) proposed, as many of them were not necessary and would've made service worse, not better, so it wasn't that they didn't want to make changes. They received a ton of pushback, on both the express and local side.  For example, the changes that they wanted to make in Country Club to the local bus line... The residents in Country Club would not tolerate it and the Community Board representing Country Club made it crystal clear to the then City Council rep. (Mark Gjonaj) that they did not approve of the proposal that the (MTA) wanted to make and so the line was kept more or less the same in Country Club as a result.  

There are other examples on the local bus side too.  One of the pluses was having the Bx29 run 24/7 to and from City Island and more frequent service on some other local lines.  The express... Again, people were very clear that they did not want the changes that were proposed, especially bus stop removals and so on, so at the end of the day, most of the changes reflect what the majority of Bronxites wanted, which is the way it should be since those are the people that take the service every day and depend on it.

What I did on my end was made sure that Bronxites knew about the changes that were proposed on the express side and told them to contact their elected officials if they didn't agree with them, and that is exactly what they did.  That's the way it should be too.  I'm doing the same thing with Queens and Brooklyn.  Let the riders know about the changes and it's up to them to provide feedback about the lines that they use.

For the record though, the plan was to do tweaks with the Bronx Redesign. The planner I spoke with before the pandemic said that they were looking to implement about 30% or so of changes. 70% of the network would remain as is in terms of the routes.  

Many of the lines are fine as they are especially on the express side and there aren't that many stops to begin with, so there were other ways to speed up service.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

4 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Yes, I absolutely think they just wanted to get something through just so they can say they did "something". There were absolutely better/more thorough changes that could've been made that were simply brushed off. 

The same with Staten Island express. They list it as "Completed" but they didn't use the more thorough methodology of frequency vs. coverage, and they definitely didn't use Remix. (It really irks me when I hear MTA officials say that Staten Island is complete...the express could barely be considered complete, let alone the local)

The only real significant changes were the route re-routes of some of the central Bronx routes (the 11, 36, 40/42) and pulling the Bx30 off Norwood. Other than that, the Bronx re-design is pretty much retaining the current system for better or worse. A lot of bus routes in my neck of the woods are still the same with only one or two stops cut off on some of them. As much as I wanted to see some streamlining or changes on some routes, I can understand why people would go against any proposed changes. Heck, the changes to the Bx28 & 34 were axed after the final plan was released to the public.

3 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

The only real significant changes were the route re-routes of some of the central Bronx routes (the 11, 36, 40/42) and pulling the Bx30 off Norwood. Other than that, the Bronx re-design is pretty much retaining the current system for better or worse. A lot of bus routes in my neck of the woods are still the same with only one or two stops cut off on some of them. As much as I wanted to see some streamlining or changes on some routes, I can understand why people would go against any proposed changes. Heck, the changes to the Bx28 & 34 were axed after the final plan was released to the public.

The problem is the planners working on the Bronx redesign don't think outside the box. They could've just as easily had a branch of the Bx10 cover Bainbridge/Valentine and left the Bx28/34 as proposed. 

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Mpn4179 said:

From the MTA website:

Here is the new Official Bronx Bus Map starting June 26

https://new.mta.info/document/11266

Note: The Bx18, Bx25, and M125 are in a new color.

Personally, brown is a color I would avoid when depicting anything. It's just not all that appealing. 

If they changed the Q50 to light blue/cyan, they could have used lime for the Bx25. 

The M125 could have also been light blue, if they changed the M35 to purple (which wouldn't conflict with anything). 

There was no reason to change the Bx18's color. In fact, that brown meshes with the red & purple on University Avenue (and not in a good way). The lime provided a contrast there.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

2 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

There was no reason to change the Bx18's color. In fact, that brown meshes with the red & purple on University Avenue (and not in a good way). The lime provided a contrast there.

That brown also mixes up with the yellow......

53 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

If anything, a new color should be added to replace light green. I often lose track of light green on the bus map when it's next to an express routes (in dark green).

How exactly do you lose track of them when the two contracts is supposed to create the opposite effect?