L train shutdown work already requiring double repairs-and it's not even done yet.

Lawrence St

The ‘L’ train shutdown was averted last year but now a new report suggests structural repairs along 14th Street could nearly double.

MTA documents project the work intended to be done during the now canceled shutdown of the "L" train, is being added to the additional costs of repairs.

The MTA documents say the costs could double from $43.8 million to $77.8 million.

Reports show that business plans scheduled to begin on MTA capital projects for May 2019 have been postponed to January 2020 to re-examine the scope for the work needed on the ‘L’ train tracks.

There is no timetable for when the bulk of repairs will begin or end.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2019/08/29/canceled-shutdown-causes--l--train-repairs-to-double?fbclid=IwAR1iLWHppvWB9C5rqosPHVd-v8qVkTJyepFjmzMXb88oDP3kfippyfGhLbU

Can we just shut all the tunnels down!?! This is ridiculous! 

I’ve read that article on Facebook yesterday and I just shook my head lol.

I still favor my proposal from that other thread in this site for both sides of the 14th Street Tube to be shut down every weekend until everything inside is completely replaced like the Montague Street Tube. Weekday and weekday overnight (L) service runs as is. During this time, the (M) runs into Midtown at all times except weekday overnights.

If there’s any weekend GOs requiring the Cranberry Street Tube to be closed, then they can instead shut down the (A) and (C) in both directions between Canal Street and Jay Street, with the (A) making local stops in Brooklyn replacing the (C), which would be cut back to WTC (E) platform. This way, 6th Avenue in general can still have 18 tph with the combined (D)(F)(M) all without cutting one of them to fit the (A)(C).

What more can I say lol.

1 hour ago, Jemorie said:

I’ve read that article on Facebook yesterday and I just shook my head lol.

I still favor my proposal from that other thread in this site for both sides of the 14th Street Tube to be shut down every weekend until everything inside is completely replaced like the Montague Street Tube. Weekday and weekday overnight (L) service runs as is. During this time, the (M) runs into Midtown at all times except weekday overnights.

If there’s any weekend GOs requiring the Cranberry Street Tube to be closed, then they can instead shut down the (A) and (C) in both directions between Canal Street and Jay Street, with the (A) making local stops in Brooklyn replacing the (C), which would be cut back to WTC (E) platform. This way, 6th Avenue in general can still have 18 tph with the combined (D)(F)(M) all without cutting one of them to fit the (A)(C).

What more can I say lol.

Clark and Cran. was closed weekends not Montague, but instead of the E platform why not the A and C chambers platform like last time

Edited by nightmare402

56 minutes ago, nightmare402 said:

Clark and Cran. was closed weekends not Montague, but instead of the E platform why not the A and C chambers platform like last time

I know that...I was making a generalized statement. I never said that the Montague Street Tubes were closed every weekend. I said that, while the 14th Street Tubes are closed every weekend for four years straight under my proposal, everything inside would be replaced just like how everything inside the Montague Street Tubes were replaced during its 13-month and a half closure.

As for your question, the (E) is officially scheduled to come every 12 minutes (5 trains an hour) on weekends. The (C) on weekends often gets its headways reduced from 10 minutes (6 trains an hour) to 12 minutes (one less train an hour) whenever it has to merge together with both the (A) & (E) on 8th Avenue, or both the (A) & (D) on Central Park West.  Come this November, the (C) on weekends will get its headways officially 12 minutes like the (E), (F), and (R) on weekends currently are. So WTC can turn both the (C) and (E) without a problem whenever a GO requires the Cranberry Tubes to shut down during the 14th Street Tube Closure under my proposal.

EDIT: But I'll let the (A) be by itself at Chambers instead of dropping out at Canal and relaying on that center track between Canal and Chambers.

Anyway, I think I'm getting a little carried away lol. So heading back to the main topic, I just hope the agency knows what they're doing with this current (L) project hehe.

Edited by Jemorie

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

My question is; is it to late to do the full shutdown that was originally proposed?

We already scrapped most of the RTS and D60's, we won't have enough buses to do the full shutdown like regularly planned 

They could just delay the retirements of the OG hybrids and use their replacements for the (L) shuttle.

3 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

A great, big “Told ya so!” to Governor Cuomo’s office is in order here.

Or actually to Cuomo's donors, who likely demanded this be done because of concerns a total shutdown could affect traffic to the point that THEIR employees who live in New Jersey would have severe difficulty getting to Manhattan and either can not or refuse to use public transportation (for whatever reasons in the latter case) because of extreme ripple effects in traffic.  Cuomo desperately wants the fourth term as Governor his father was denied in 1994 (in the eyes of some due to the baseball strike as many in NYC proper openly admitted they voted for Pataki to get back at Clinton for not issuing an Executive Order to end the baseball strike).   That along with Cuomo at the time the decision was made still mulling a Presidential bid for 2020 likely was why Cuomo did what he did.  

9 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

That’s what I’m saying. Of course Mr Big Shot Cuomo had to “show” everyone that the MTA can keep the (L) train running between Manhattan and Brooklyn while also doing repair. Now look what happened. Now they have to spend even more money to fix work that was already being done. Bad enough the (MTA) doesn’t have money to begin with so we should be expecting more cuts. This might not have happened if the  (MTA) had full access to the tunnels at all times. But of course everybody is trying to look good and push their own personal agendas and that’s why things are the way they are today. I can’t stand this agency anymore, because we just have a bunch of out of touch people who probably don’t even use transit running everything to the ground and we the riders suffer the most from this mismanagement. 

On 9/2/2019 at 7:19 PM, NewFlyer 230 said:

That’s what I’m saying. Of course Mr Big Shot Cuomo had to “show” everyone that the MTA can keep the (L) train running between Manhattan and Brooklyn while also doing repair. Now look what happened. Now they have to spend even more money to fix work that was already being done. Bad enough the (MTA) doesn’t have money to begin with so we should be expecting more cuts. This might not have happened if the  (MTA) had full access to the tunnels at all times. But of course everybody is trying to look good and push their own personal agendas and that’s why things are the way they are today. I can’t stand this agency anymore, because we just have a bunch of out of touch people who probably don’t even use transit running everything to the ground and we the riders suffer the most from this mismanagement. 

Or at least "show" his donors what THEY wanted to see. 

On 9/2/2019 at 6:20 PM, Wallyhorse said:

Or actually to Cuomo's donors, who likely demanded this be done because of concerns a total shutdown could affect traffic to the point that THEIR employees who live in New Jersey would have severe difficulty getting to Manhattan and either can not or refuse to use public transportation (for whatever reasons in the latter case) because of extreme ripple effects in traffic.  Cuomo desperately wants the fourth term as Governor his father was denied in 1994 (in the eyes of some due to the baseball strike as many in NYC proper openly admitted they voted for Pataki to get back at Clinton for not issuing an Executive Order to end the baseball strike).   That along with Cuomo at the time the decision was made still mulling a Presidential bid for 2020 likely was why Cuomo did what he did.  

Wrong...it goes to Cuomo, because said donors (if they even exist!) are not the ones who actually control the MTA and make the decisions whether or not to close tunnels full time. 

Sorry, but the rest of your post is completely ridiculous.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-mta-l-train-shutdown-construction-work-20190904-rycr5pso4zaz7c4wygrrn3exhe-story.html?fbclid=IwAR1u01pz4zfwsjtuLtVL69fNWhakWWk9Iw3mKj7YWFlmFVg_W96ZK8skzz8

On the weekend of September 13-15, the (L) will only run as a Shuttle to/from Broadway Junction.  Soon, next month weekends as well. 

Edited by Calvin

On 9/6/2019 at 7:12 AM, Eric B said:

The're saying it's because of the escalator addition at Union Sq. but it must be other stuff, for it to not go as far as Lorimer or Myrtle.

From Reddit

Sandy Canarsie tunnel rehab

Wilson Avenue work

Switch work south of 8th Ave

Union Square elevator

Platform component at Dekalb / Halsey, Morgan, Bushwick, Maspeth av and Harrison place substation

6th Avenue ADA

Operations planning general order service plan: B-41-66

4 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

You guys are talking as if there are never cost overruns and delays when the MTA does a full scale project LOL. This is business as usual

Perhaps you would have a point if we were talking about cost overruns and delays under a full closure.

This is anything but, and the MTA didn't even have much time to address how the "plan" foisted on everyone would impact the other work.