NYCDOT moves forward with both, Jamaica Ave and Archer Ave Busways

N6 Limited

Lets see how this goes, they already ruined Merrick Blvd.

Thru Eastbound traffic will have to go to Hillside or Liberty Aves. So, they're pushing traffic to streets with school zone speed cameras (Unless that's part of the scheme). (York College, Hillcrest HS, etc)

https://queenseagle.com/all/electeds-bash-new-downtown-jamaica-busways

The Archer Avenue busway will run eastbound from 150th Street to 160th Street. On Jamaica Avenue, the lane for buses will run from Sutphin Boulevard to 168th Street in both directions.

Both will be enforced 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

https://qns.com/2021/09/southeast-queens-leaders-come-out-against-proposed-busways-in-downtown-jamaica/

The city is moving forward with its plans to bring two new busways through downtown Jamaica despite objections from southeast Queens elected officials.

https://www.qchron.com/editions/eastern/adams-opposes-lane-changes-on-archer-and-jamaica-avenues/article_df2ba95e-172e-11ec-83a2-07983510856f.html

On Archer Avenue, an eastbound busway will begin 150th Street and extend to 160th Street with the following elements: double bus lanes eastbound from 150th St to 160th St, with no trucks in bus lanes; no curbside access between 150th Street and 160th Street for any vehicles except buses; eastbound traffic restriction from 153rd St to 160th St (all of Archer Avenue eastbound traffic must turn left on 153rd Street); Jersey barriers installed to prevent illegal vans from entering a busway and busway regulations that are proposed for 24 hours a day, seven days a week, according to the DOT. 

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2021/09/30/dot-finally-moves-forward-with-jamaica-busway-announced-in-mid-2020/

The city has started installing a pair of long-delayed parallel busways in Downtown Jamaica, despite local pols’ objections that the agency is simultaneously doing too much and too little to help the neighborhood.

The Department of Transportation announced last week it has begun installing the two car-free stretches along Jamaica and Archer avenues as part of an “urgently” needed initiative announced by Mayor de Blasio last summer that included five car-free busways.

MERRICK BLVD:

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/transit/2021/09/22/new-bus-lane-queens-nyc-merrick-boulevard-warning-fines-coming

NEW YORK —  On his way to work Tuesday, a driver yelled his frustration out his car window about the bus lanes along Merrick Boulevard.

“One lane! It’s ridiculous!” the driver said.

But he is not alone; most other drivers had the same gripe. One woman said it doubled her commute time, and another said it had taken her about 30 minutes to travel three miles.

https://www.change.org/p/new-york-city-department-of-transportation-demand-rush-hour-only-bus-lanes-on-merrick-blvd

Many drivers now avoid Merrick Blvd altogether, and choose to drive through already congested, narrow and overburdened residential streets. Most importantly, it hurts our local businesses, as drivers are now avoiding one of our main commercial corridors at all costs.

I’m not a fan of making both Jamaica and Archer Ave a busway. Jamaica Ave has bus lanes that are not even enforced along with the bus stops. Some of the most congested and busy intersections don’t have any turn priority such as at Jamaica Ave & Sutphin Blvd. 
Archer Ave should be left alone when Jamaica Ave becomes a bus way. If anything I would shift a few routes like the Q44/Q20 and the Q24 over to Jamaica Ave in both directions. 

Edited by NewFlyer 230

8 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I’m not a fan of making both Jamaica and Archer Ave a busway. Jamaica Ave has bus lanes that are not even enforced along with the bus stops. Some of the most congested and busy intersections don’t have any turn priority such as at Jamaica Ave & Sutphin Blvd. 
Archer Ave should be left alone when Jamaica Ave becomes a bus way. If anything I would shift a few routes like the Q44/Q20 and the Q24 over to Jamaica Ave in both directions. 

I don't even think DOT painted new bus lanes along Jamaica Avenue as it is. Last I paid attention to them, they were almost nonexistent in some parts.

The issue with turn signal priority is...well...91st Avenue. That's a short block and there's a light on 91st(because of some vision zero "upgrades"), which won't help the buses at all unless they re-calibrate the signals to where the buses are able to get the green signals after the turn. And then comes the issue with vehicles turning onto Sutphin because that part of Jamaica Avenue will be a bus only space. It'll push all(or most) of the traffic onto Hillside Avenue.

Vision Zero really screwed that over for bus operations in a lot of parts of the city, most notably for me, Hillside between 165th and Merrick. Before Vision Zero, buses were able to turn onto Hillside from 165th and catch the green and keep going. Now, they turn from 165th onto Hillside and get the red at Merrick and wait, and all that did was pile on more traffic, and delayed other buses from being able to turn onto Hillside and have to wait for the next green.

What they really need to do is deal with these freaking cabs, they are all over Jamaica and cause problems on their own by swerving into lanes and curbs trying to get passengers. I can't go a day without walking through Sutphin Blvd and not hearing "CAB? CAB SIR!?" It's already bad enough that they pushed them over to the LIRR Station, and it only gets worse when they double park. It makes boarding the Q8 and Q41 a nightmare. The rogue ones at 91st are even worse(with their beat up Crown Vics and Town Cars, and the ones that yell SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX), because they will intentionally screw over the flow of traffic just to get their way.

Edited by Cait Sith

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

I don't even think DOT painted new bus lanes along Jamaica Avenue as it is. Last I paid attention to them, they were almost nonexistent in some parts.

The issue with turn signal priority is...well...91st Avenue. That's a short block and there's a light on 91st(because of some vision zero "upgrades"), which won't help the buses at all unless they re-calibrate the signals to where the buses are able to get the green signals after the turn. And then comes the issue with vehicles turning onto Sutphin because that part of Jamaica Avenue will be a bus only space. It'll push all(or most) of the traffic onto Hillside Avenue.

Vision Zero really screwed that over for bus operations in a lot of parts of the city, most notably for me, Hillside between 165th and Merrick. Before Vision Zero, buses were able to turn onto Hillside from 165th and catch the green and keep going. Now, they turn from 165th onto Hillside and get the red at Merrick and wait, and all that did was pile on more traffic, and delayed other buses from being able to turn onto Hillside and have to wait for the next green.

What they really need to do is deal with these freaking cabs, they are all over Jamaica and cause problems on their own by swerving into lanes and curbs trying to get passengers. I can't go a day without walking through Sutphin Blvd and not hearing "CAB? CAB SIR!?" It's already bad enough that they pushed them over to the LIRR Station, and it only gets worse when they double park. It makes boarding the Q8 and Q41 a nightmare. The rogue ones at 91st are even worse(with their beat up Crown Vics and Town Cars, and the ones that yell SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX), because they will intentionally screw over the flow of traffic just to get their way.

Those cabs are the worst, The $2 cabs be blocking the turn from parsons and Jamaica when the Q110/112 turns onto Jamaica Ave. It sucks and they barely do enforcement when it comes to these shitty cabs. 

7 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

The rogue ones at 91st are even worse(with their beat up Crown Vics and Town Cars, and the ones that yell SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX), because they will intentionally screw over the flow of traffic just to get their way.

Don't forget the Grand Marquis 🤣

7 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

And I hope making Jamaica Avenue a Busway will teach them cab drivers a lesson, because now, they won't be able to drive on Jamaica Avenue (or Archer Avenue) for more than a block (all cars won't), and now buses will be flying instead of crawling. They can complain all they want, but passengers who need to get to Brooklyn, the LIRR Station and even Nassau County will love it. Faster connections to the Hillside Avenue buses, too.

13 minutes ago, Transit Enthusiast said:

Yep, Mercury's Crown Vic ripoff.

Going off on a tangent here, but Mercury was meant to fill the (perceived) gap between the Ford and Lincoln lines. It was founded by Edsel Ford, the son of Henry Ford.

On topic, I'm a bit surprised that they didn't make them a one-way pair.

2 minutes ago, Lex said:

Going off on a tangent here, but Mercury was meant to fill the (perceived) gap between the Ford and Lincoln lines. It was founded by Edsel Ford, the son of Henry Ford.

Well, that's Jamaica's street grid for ya. Hillside is 2-way, Jamaica is 2-way and Archer is 2-way.

21 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Hell, Archer av. is going to get ridiculously nasty when they finally finish constructing those hotels around Sutphin/Archer... I can picture the gridlock in my head now.

13 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Minor note..... I know what it refers to now, but back when I didn't, it took years for me to figure just wtf that six six six shit meant... I would LMGDAO if a dollar cab driver here along Church went 35 35 35 35, along Utica went 46 46 46 46, etc..... At Kings Plaza back in the day, I will admit I used to like when they used to say "Yoooouuuuuutiiccaaa... Yoooouuuuuutiiccaaa" & "Flaaaatboosh... Flaaaatboosh (since the Flatbush vans & the Utica vans ended at Kings Plaza).... Church av cab drivers don't say shit -  all they do is point a finger in the direction they (think you) want... That the "sign" that they're in service, so to speak....

11 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Those cabs are the worst, The $2 cabs be blocking the turn from parsons and Jamaica when the Q110/112 turns onto Jamaica Ave. It sucks and they barely do enforcement when it comes to these shitty cabs. 

Compared to here in Brooklyn (where they're definitely not saints), what they get away with in Queens is crazy to me.... Not that I use the dollar cab/van services in Queens, but in passing, I have never seen one get at least get pulled over in Queens... Not once.

5 hours ago, Transit Enthusiast said:

And I hope making Jamaica Avenue a Busway will teach them cab drivers a lesson, because now, they won't be able to drive on Jamaica Avenue (or Archer Avenue) for more than a block (all cars won't), and now buses will be flying instead of crawling. They can complain all they want, but passengers who need to get to Brooklyn, the LIRR Station and even Nassau County will love it. Faster connections to the Hillside Avenue buses, too.

Outside of completely banning them from operating in the city, there is no teaching them a lesson.... They will find workarounds & commuters will follow suit in getting to them... It is funny though that commuters are lenient when it comes to when the dollar cabs/vans get shifted/diverted somewhere, but let there be a bus route that gets diverted (or an occurrence of a subway G.O.), man, forget it....

5 hours ago, Transit Enthusiast said:

The same goes for Archer Avenue, because those Dollar Vans also intentionally block the bus lane to try and get passengers. It'll really help the passengers going to The Mall (Q5 & Q85) & Freeport (N4). It'll also speed up Q44 SBS service.

Yeah, it's disgusting the way they do that.... Many moons ago, dollar vans used to do the same shit at Kings Plaza (block up the bus terminal/stops for the B2/9/41/46 on that long stretch); Flatbush av. side.... Now with what they done at Kings Plaza, zero chance of that shit happening :lol:

4 hours ago, Lex said:

As far as buses go, they (half-ass) did/tried that during the 90's... The former GBL's (Q6/8/9/41) & the Q30/31 were one way WB along Jamaica & one way EB along Archer... Same as the Q24, but it currently still does that anyway.... The Q54/56 were bi-directional along Jamaica like they still are & the Q20a/b & the Q44 are bidirectional along Archer like they still are...

I don't recall when & why they made the Q6/8/9/41 bi-directional along Jamaica, but they ended up truncating the Q30/31's stint along (more of) Archer, due to the construction of Archer Green (those apt's across from the Home Depot at Archer/168th)...

4 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Only the NICE buses will fly....

....when they show up.

6 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Compared to here in Brooklyn (where they're definitely not saints), what they get away with in Queens is crazy to me.... Not that I use the dollar cab/van services in Queens, but in passing, I have never seen one get at least get pulled over in Queens... Not once.

I've seen $2 dollar vans get pulled over in Queens. Primarily, on Merrick. Plus with the bus lanes installed there.. No difference.

On Linden cops come seldomly... unless you try to cross into Nassau County. 

25 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Hell, Archer av. is going to get ridiculously nasty when they finally finish constructing those hotels around Sutphin/Archer... I can picture the gridlock in my head now.

Minor note..... I know what it refers to now, but back when I didn't, it took years for me to figure just wtf that six six six shit meant... I would LMGDAO if a dollar cab driver here along Church went 35 35 35 35, along Utica went 46 46 46 46, etc..... At Kings Plaza back in the day, I will admit I used to like when they used to say "Yoooouuuuuutiiccaaa... Yoooouuuuuutiiccaaa" & "Flaaaatboosh... Flaaaatboosh (since the Flatbush vans & the Utica vans ended at Kings Plaza).... Church av cab drivers don't say shit -  all they do is point a finger in the direction they (think you) want... That the "sign" that they're in service, so to speak....

Thankfully, all of that construction is almost done. They finally restored the Archer Avenue Q44 stops as well.

And yeah, I figured it out myself a while back, nowadays they just yell SIX(numerous times) and then point south.

I remember taking the Flatbush dollar vans as a kid from the 2/5 station and then being dropped off at the Avenue U side of the mall. Those vans were unbearable, but it used to be funny hearing them scream FLATBUSH or KINGS PLAZA out the window🤣

16 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I've seen $2 dollar vans get pulled over in Queens. Primarily, on Merrick. Plus with the bus lanes installed there.. No difference.

On Linden cops come seldomly... unless you try to cross into Nassau County. 

Can confirm.

NYPD also has their own undercover dollar vans. It was wild seeing them pull over other vans.

25 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Thankfully, all of that construction is almost done. They finally restored the Archer Avenue Q44 stops as well.

And yeah, I figured it out myself a while back, nowadays they just yell SIX(numerous times) and then point south.

I remember taking the Flatbush dollar vans as a kid from the 2/5 station and then being dropped off at the Avenue U side of the mall. Those vans were unbearable, but it used to be funny hearing them scream FLATBUSH or KINGS PLAZA out the window🤣

How far down Sutphin do those dollar cabs even go?

Oh yeah, I forgot about when the Flatbush & Utica van drivers used to go "plaza, plaza, plaza, plaza......." The Flatbush drivers that used to go "no plaza, no plaza", I used to actually get annoyed at that, because you never knew where they were gonna short turn at... Forget about asking them, you would catch all sorts of attitude... Instead, they ask you how far you're going... If where you're going is too far (south) from where they're ending, they closed their doors & simply drove the f*** off.... Rude as shit.

Edited by B35 via Church

3 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about when the Flatbush & Utica van drivers used to go "plaza, plaza, plaza, plaza......." The Flatbush drivers that used to go "no plaza, no plaza", I used to actually get annoyed at that, because you never knew where they were gonna short turn at... Forget about asking them, you would catch all sorts of attitude... Instead, they ask you how far you go... If where you're going is too far (south) from where they're ending, they closed their doors & simply drove the f*** off.... Rude as shit.

Furthest I've seen them go is Rockaway tbh. Some don't even go past Linden Blvd. I think some go further down Rockaway.

25 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

NYPD also has their own undercover dollar vans. It was wild seeing them pull over other vans.

They have what the cab drivers dub "TLC" here in Brooklyn that the Church av dollar cabs are deftly afraid of... It's something to see them scurry like roaches, running along either Linden or Snyder, and pan no further west than Nostrand... The mornings when you saw little to no dollar cabs, was when you know "TLC" was out patrolling... There's been days I've been late to school (college & high school) because of it.

1 minute ago, Cait Sith said:

Furthest I've seen them go is Rockaway tbh. Some don't even go past Linden Blvd. I think some go further down Rockaway.

Good to know.

I'd like to see them try going inside the airport though.. That would be GOLD!

5, 10, 15 years ago I actually remember seeing undercover police Crown Victorias disguised as taxis.  People would hear a siren, turn their heads, and be surprised seeing a yellow cab with flashing lights gunning its engine down the left lane.

Turns out the gypsy cab drivers could sniff them out, though.  The actual Crown Vic taxis had an extended wheelbase, but the cop cars disguised as taxis apparently were standard wheelbase.  The other thing that gave it away was the fact that it'd usually be a husky, middle-aged Irish or Italian-looking dude driving the undercover cab around, with the pickup light for passengers permanently switched off.  Nobody's going to fall for that unless they're not paying attention. 

Edited by R10 2952

32 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

5, 10, 15 years ago I actually remember seeing undercover police Crown Victorias disguised as taxis.  People would hear a siren, turn their heads, and be surprised seeing a yellow cab with flashing lights gunning its engine down the left lane.

Turns out the gypsy cab drivers could sniff them out, though.  The actual Crown Vic taxis had an extended wheelbase, but the cop cars disguised as taxis apparently were standard wheelbase.  The other thing that gave it away was the fact that it'd usually be a husky, middle-aged Irish or Italian-looking dude driving the undercover cab around, with the pickup light for passengers permanently switched off.  Nobody's going to fall for that unless they're not paying attention. 

I've seen those same cars.

Now, they got actual TLC police cars. I've seen them in Manhattan primarily on the East Side.

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I blame (MTA) for letting these dollar vans get this insane in the first place, ever since the 2010 BKLYN cuts they let the dollar vans come in and wreak havoc on the discontinued bus lines.

The Dollar vans were causing havoc WAYYYYYYY before the 2010 cuts to Brooklyn bus service. 

Just that the (MTA) didn't have a proper game plan for the dollar vans since the 90's truthfully.

6 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about when the Flatbush & Utica van drivers used to go "plaza, plaza, plaza, plaza......." The Flatbush drivers that used to go "no plaza, no plaza", I used to actually get annoyed at that, because you never knew where they were gonna short turn at... Forget about asking them, you would catch all sorts of attitude... Instead, they ask you how far you're going... If where you're going is too far (south) from where they're ending, they closed their doors & simply drove the f*** off.... Rude as shit.

Most go to Rockaway Blvd and Baisley Blvd.. I've encountered some going to Farmers Blvd near Cargo area 78 for an extra fare...

12 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Only the NICE buses will fly, and maybe the ex-PBL (MTA) buses too. the NYCT buses are still gonna do 15mph in a 25mph zone no matter what 😄

The one thing I enjoyed about riding NICE bus is how quick the drivers are. Yet they still barely make timepoint. That is how tight some of the schedules are

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

The Dollar vans were causing havoc WAYYYYYYY before the 2010 cuts to Brooklyn bus service. 

Just that the (MTA) didn't have a proper game plan for the dollar vans since the 90's truthfully.

Still better than NJT's game plan which is cutting service until its irrelevant

Oh wait... I think the (MTA) is doing that too! B41 comes to mind

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I blame (MTA) for letting these dollar vans get this insane in the first place, ever since the 2010 BKLYN cuts they let the dollar vans come in and wreak havoc on the discontinued bus lines.

Dollar vans have been wreaking havoc well before the 2000s....

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Those short lived services you're referencing aren't the dollar cab/van services we're talking about....

Anyway, I'd say that the MTA facilitates the popularity of the historical (as in, having operated for decades now) & currently thriving dollar cab/van services the rest of us are talking about... It's extra "service" the MTA doesn't have to supply commuters....

2 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

Still better than NJT's game plan which is cutting service until its irrelevant

Oh wait... I think the (MTA) is doing that too! B41 comes to mind

Lol.... That is also the MTA's gameplan... Yeah, it's apparently being done on the B41, but I've watched routes like the old x29, B51, and B71 that had enough ridership to justify their existence steadily worsen over time, up until the point they got cut... The x29 was the most egregious one to me... Buses went from being SRO to barely anyone on them, right before they got cut....

Disgusting.

Edited by B35 via Church

11 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Lol.... That is also the MTA's gameplan... Yeah, it's apparently being done on the B41, but I've watched routes like the old x29, B51, and B71 that had enough ridership to justify their existence steadily worsen over time, up until the point they got cut... The x29 was the most egregious one to me... Buses went from being SRO to barely anyone on them, right before they got cut....

Disgusting.

Sadly, this is one of the oldest tricks in the book.  They did similar things with a number of ex-PBL express bus routes in Brooklyn and Queens after 2010.  The MTA also did the same (via LIRR) with the Lower Montauk Branch, and they're going to do the same with the Atlantic Branch. 

Not just the MTA though, honestly seen this strategy play out in other places and with other agencies, too. NJT, MBTA, SEPTA, CTA, Seattle, and so on.  Run a route as badly as possible, cut service, send ridership into a death-spiral, then eliminate said route due to "low ridership".  Rinse, wash, repeat.

This kind of underhanded sabotage wrapped in a cloak of plausible deniability is one of those situations where I think there should be lawyers suing the agencies' asses in court.