Exam 8006

sealteam1962

Loco, I went for orientation down at zereaga today. TA and mabstoa had their own room full of about 55 people mixed together. I was in the MTA bus room we had about 54 with 3 no shows. We were just fillng out our paper work and found out what depot we are going to train in. They are using all of the depots to train everyone so it doesent matter if your ta/oa or mta bus. I will be training in a ta depot in manhatten. Also their was a class that graduated today of about 60 people.

60 people? they started with 105 I think,June 24th class. Paperwork day for you 1 daysoon,8hrs of it,lol. Tomorrow you will get behind the wheel of the bus. Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you in 2 weeks. As far as I know,everybody who has ever posted on this forum has qualified during their training. Keep the streak alive! :tup:

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Loco, I went for orientation down at zereaga today. TA and mabstoa had their own room full of about 55 people mixed together. I was in the MTA bus room we had about 54 with 3 no shows. We were just fillng out our paper work and found out what depot we are going to train in. They are using all of the depots to train everyone so it doesent matter if your ta/oa or mta bus. I will be training in a ta depot in manhatten. Also their was a class that graduated today of about 60 people.

1daysoon, check out my thread with day by day coverage B)

we did start with just over 100 , and did end up with about 50-60 people

today was day 10 for some people, and i did see some walked out really mad. ( did not make it )

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11295&page=2

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11295&page=2

Good luck:tup: and keep us informed:)

If anybody is serious about getting pass the qualification process they should really consider getting their CDL first. Some of the other people that were training were taking forever on their pre-trips and air brake test. The people that I am training with all have their CDL's wich is to our advantage because we didnt waste too much time with the pre-trip so we were doing laps around the bronx, getting more training time. We blew threw the left and right turns (they werent really tight), bus stops, hook turns, highway driving and we drove in the city. I had a good time.

If anybody is serious about getting pass the qualification process they should really consider getting their CDL first. Some of the other people that were training were taking forever on their pre-trips and air brake test. The people that I am training with all have their CDL's wich is to our advantage because we didnt waste too much time with the pre-trip so we were doing laps around the bronx, getting more training time. We blew threw the left and right turns (they werent really tight), bus stops, hook turns, highway driving and we drove in the city. I had a good time.

I am glad to hear that your(1)st day went well. I've had my CDL license for a year, and it's true!!! it's best to get it first from a driving school. I took my road test in the Bronx and failed it the first time, but passed it the second time around. At least you and the others that already have the license won't have to deal with DMV as far as a state road test is conceren... just keep us informed of your progress!!!:cool:

I dont think that is a good idea

I have CDL and i know how to drive a truck / bus, BUT that is not MTA way, their way is different, teaching some one from scratch is easier, then taking some one and telling them to forget about how they drove and learn MTA way.

after 10 days of driving, there will be 2 or so more weeks of practice every one will get before going for their CDL DMV test, so every one will have plenty of time to get enough time behind the wheel to ace the DMV test

Question: someone was talking how they would rather drive a school bus because of all the time off. If the school bus is comparable pay, which with their union starts around 38K and I think they said it tops around $50K, would anyone want to drive a school bus instead of city bus? I know there is more chance for OT with the city but how do the benefits compare to a union school bus driver job?

Thanks

Question: someone was talking how they would rather drive a school bus because of all the time off. If the school bus is comparable pay, which with their union starts around 38K and I think they said it tops around $50K, would anyone want to drive a school bus instead of city bus? I know there is more chance for OT with the city but how do the benefits compare to a union school bus driver job?

Thanks

And deal with obnoxious kids? HELL NO! They could offer me $1,000,000 to drive a school bus,I will decline it. The stress levels that school bus drivers have is extremely high. Go to youtube and see how many school bus driver fights there are.

On a city bus the majority of your passengers are adults trying to get to and from work. Yeah,you have your school trippers but that is for a short time.

Fred,I asked that question a long time ago,DOB2RTO answered me. He said that it takes a long time to get a good run,it is all seniority based. Yes,you will make good money for working 4-5 hrs a day,weekends off. I believe he said ATU is the school bus union. If you want to drive a school bus give it a shot,just giving you my opinions.

I dont think that is a good idea

I have CDL and i know how to drive a truck / bus, BUT that is not MTA way, their way is different, teaching some one from scratch is easier, then taking some one and telling them to forget about how they drove and learn MTA way.

after 10 days of driving, there will be 2 or so more weeks of practice every one will get before going for their CDL DMV test, so every one will have plenty of time to get enough time behind the wheel to ace the DMV test

It is true what you said learning the MTA's way of driving there buses, because I heard that they want you to drive there way. It's basically a crash course for the people that already have there CDL licenses, and it's an advantage to them because they already have a knowledge of driving a commercial vehicle, and at the same time following the D.O.T. rules when it comes to being behind a wheel of a commercial vehicle. I'll tell you the truth a year ago I was taking a CDL course at driving school before taking the B/O exam learning how to drive a Class B bus. To me I feel it can be an advantage for some people to take a CDL driving course just to get a better idea what there dealing with. It's not that easy to have this license, and I've gone through a lot of trouble getting it.

Thanks

I rather drive a bus involving with the city!!! A school bus driver does not make a whole lot of money, and especially dealing with annoying kids driving you crazy!!!:confused:

me i`ll get the cdl on my own and drive for access a raide wait for the mta 2 call me

and i`m gonna go off topic a little does any one know when the bus roadeo is thanks so i`ll just get it on my own cdl and work 4 access a ride

I thought you were going to drive a school bus after getting your CDL? Stress-a-ride will hire you,good luck with that. :o

The Bus Roadeo is on Saturday July 25th and on Sunday July 26th. There is a thread about it on one of the other forums. Here it is Igor.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10962

I thought you were going to drive a school bus after getting your CDL? Stress-a-ride will hire you,good luck with that. :o

The Bus Roadeo is on Saturday July 25th and on Sunday July 26th. There is a thread about it on one of the other forums. Here it is Igor.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10962

I would like to check out the bus roadeo myself. I like to know where the location is so I can try to attend.

Yeah,you got to do what you got to do. How far are you in your CDL process?

lets see i have my permit with air brake passenger endorsment and i just added my school bus endorsment so i did take lessons but a need some more lessons and then a road test and then wait 7 day go to the dmv after 7 days and ammend my lincese

lets see i have my permit with air brake passenger endorsment and i just added my school bus endorsment so i did take lessons but a need some more lessons and then a road test and then wait 7 day go to the dmv after 7 days and ammend my lincese

Whenever you feel you are ready for the road test,there is a longer wait for road test appointments during the summer. If you know your pre-trip,especially the air brake tests you should be good. The driving part you get better with experience. I paid for 10 driving lessons but after my 3rd lesson i was getting the hang of it. Good luck!:tup:

Which driving school your taking your lessons @?

Archived