Nova Bus exiting US market

davemackey

Each and every customer of Nova's will still be able to order parts and such from them. Its a shame though, especially since they've finally managed to get into areas that were very New Flyer and/or Gillig heavy, like San Francisco, Portland, DC.

There will be somebody else to replace NovaBus. This isn’t the first time that NovaBus has exited the US Market. If you recalled in 2000 they built 2 Hybrid RTS buses 6360 & (6361) but never formally hit the streets because of NovaBus’ first exit. 

Wow, that leaves only New Flyer, Gillig and Protrerra for transit bus manufacturers. 

I guess different variations of the Excelsior buses will eventually dominate the MTA fleet like the RTS did at one point, every depot could possibly have New Flyer equipment. Unless the TA orders Proterras.

First Prevost, now Nova!

This is very disappointing news..

Edited by trainfan22

1 hour ago, FLX9304 said:

There will be somebody else to replace NovaBus. This isn’t the first time that NovaBus has exited the US Market. If you recalled in 2000 they built 2 Hybrid RTS buses 6360 & (6361) but never formally hit the streets because of NovaBus’ first exit. 

Nobody replaced Neoplan and NABI. Nobody replaced Prevost..

2 minutes ago, NBTA said:

Hopefully we get a new company to come in, I can’t roll around my house and see each X-series bus around. It’ll drive me crazy (don’t take this too serious).

Your post reminds me of the late 90s in Brooklyn when every NYCT bus was RTS's :lol: I was an 90s baby so RTSs was all I knew when it came to buses for local buses for a brief period.

Command Bus MCI classics were the only non RTS bus I saw until the C40s showed up. I still remember the first time I saw an Orion V (Green Lines)  on the Q35... 

What's crazy is I was bummed when the Orion Hybrids started to gradually shrink the RTS fleet lol

Damn, didn't see this one coming. This seems like it's only good news for New Flyer, which hasn't been too hot financially lately. The real money is going to go to whoever can figure out a serious electric bus line, especially with all the funds from the Infrastructure bill. I'd like to see Proterra succeed but they're a real mess on basic structural stuff right now, and New Flyer hasn't cracked it yet either.

Here we go again!

With Volvo leaving the picture again (I'm not only talking about Prevost, but also the last time Nova left the US) and some of the other players being far smaller or outright nonexistent (assuming they were even remotely close to qualification), who can the MTA turn to for new buses after next year that isn't NFI?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2023 at 8:35 PM, trainfan22 said:

Wow, that leaves only New Flyer, Gillig and Protrerra for transit bus manufacturers. 

I guess different variations of the Excelsior buses will eventually dominate the MTA fleet like the RTS did at one point, every depot could possibly have New Flyer equipment. Unless the TA orders Proterras.

First Prevost, now Nova!

This is very disappointing news..

Don't forget you have Eldorado and BYD here. Eldorado is on an upswing in California with it's CNG 40'Axcess bus.

4 hours ago, xD4nn said:

I doubt the MTA would go with BYD after the CRRC scandal.

One literally has nothing to do with the other. The issues the MTA would have to pay attention to are the issues BYD has experienced in the West Coast.

Plus, the MTA liked the two BYD demos they received. Never say never. The most recent one was driven along the Q44 route from Queens to The Bronx in range testing.

Edited by Cait Sith

• 2 months later...

I guess the company moving in to fill the void is Solaris, and no I'm not implying they're taking over from Nova Bus. But with the timing of Nova exiting the US market, taking over the Plattsburg plant could be an easy way in. 

https://www.solarisbus.com/en/press/tests-of-the-solaris-trollino-trolleybus-in-canada-2033

Edited by IAlam

On 9/15/2023 at 9:19 PM, IAlam said:

I guess the company moving in to fill the void is Solaris, and no I'm not implying they're taking over from Nova Bus. But with the timing of Nova exiting the US market, taking over the Plattsburg plant could be an easy way in. 

https://www.solarisbus.com/en/press/tests-of-the-solaris-trollino-trolleybus-in-canada-2033

That will depend if things go well for them in Canada. It will be quite a while before Solaris enters the US scene and I doubt they would want to go to MTA for orders as a new player in the market.

3 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

That will depend if things go well for them in Canada. It will be quite a while before Solaris enters the US scene and I doubt they would want to go to MTA for orders as a new player in the market.

Unless they do electric buses. 

6 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

6 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

Unless they do electric buses. 

Considering the MTA likes to split orders in order to get buses faster it's not out of the picture, but I do agree it would take a while before we could see a Solaris bus in NYC let alone the US.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2023 at 7:12 PM, FLX9304 said:

I always wondered what ever happened to those units. Where they scrapped?