63rd Street Tunnel Shutdown Begins Last week in August.

RTOMan

11 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Are they going to turn trains at Union Turnpike?

That's one option the other will be CTL...

If anything it will be weekend work but the way they doing it as it was explained to me this morning hopefully that might not happen.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

That's one option the other will be CTL...

If anything it will be weekend work but the way they doing it as it was explained to me this morning hopefully that might not happen.

they'll terminate them at CTL if they decide to do it as a weekend GO. They did this years ago and had shuttle buses run between 71st and parsons and 179th. The shuttle buses were a disaster because the bus dispatchers were fulling up the buses instead of letting them go causing people at the stations between 75th and 169 and 75th and Jamaica van wyck to get bypassed due to the buses being crowded. Plus There were no buses on the eastern ends because all the buses were at CTL backing up traffic on queens blvd. 

DOB got scolded for this due to the complaints. So they might do something differnt. The (E)  line portion isn't getting CBTC so i think they might just have (E) trains run east of CTL if they can keep 2 tracks open between kew gardens and Van Wyck.

Edited by R32 3838

2 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

they'll terminate them at CTL if they decide to do it as a weekend GO. They did this years ago and had shuttle buses run between 71st and parsons and 179th. The shuttle buses were a disaster because the bus dispatchers were fulling up the buses instead of letting them go causing people at the stations between 75th and 169 and 75th and Jamaica van wyck to get bypassed due to the buses being crowded. Plus There were no buses on the eastern ends because all the buses were at CTL backing up traffic on queens blvd. 

DOB got scolded for this due to the complaints. So they might do something differnt. The (E)  line portion isn't getting CBTC so i think they might just have (E) trains run east of CTL if they can keep 2 tracks open between kew gardens and Van Wyck.

If both tracks are open, might as well just send the (F) to Jamaica Center along with the (E) (both routes on a 12 minute headway is manageable along Archer Av). Otherwise, terminate the (E)(F)(R) all at 71 Av and do the shuttle buses east of 71 Av

6 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

There is a reason even in the overnight normally the (F) is express and that is the very long route it takes.  That is also why we have the (M) running via 53rd and originally had the (V) when the (F) moved to 63rd.  

The (A) in the overnights when that is local I'm sure isn't exactly a picnic as that I believe is an even longer route than the (F).

Yes, I come up with some crazy route ideas but some of them are to split routes in two that make them shorter (my splitting the (R) into <R> and (W) for example with a "Yellow (V)" supplementing the (N) and having it handle those who actually use Montague to get to lower Manhattan). 

none of your changes make sense or would even remotely help folks affected by this GO.

give it a rest already 

2 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

If both tracks are open, might as well just send the (F) to Jamaica Center along with the (E) (both routes on a 12 minute headway is manageable along Archer Av). Otherwise, terminate the (E)(F)(R) all at 71 Av and do the shuttle buses east of 71 Av

That wouldn't work even with weekend service, Parsons can barely handle all the (E) trains as it is due to the switch placement between Supthin and Parsons.

They'll figure it out.

On 10/27/2023 at 2:22 PM, darkstar8983 said:

On 10/27/2023 at 4:43 PM, R32 3838 said:

That wouldn't work even with weekend service, Parsons can barely handle all the (E) trains as it is due to the switch placement between Supthin and Parsons.

They'll figure it out.

How about (E) to Jamaica Center and Shuttle buses between Jamaica Center and Jamaica Bus Terminal where people can connect to/from their bus?  That would greatly reduce resources needed.  (Or, Jamaica Center up to Parsons Blvd (F) , 169th, 179th.)
They could save money by allowing free transfers to the Q6, Q8, Q9, Q41, Q44, etc and maybe not even need shuttle buses.

1 hour ago, N6 Limited said:

How about (E) to Jamaica Center and Shuttle buses between Jamaica Center and Jamaica Bus Terminal where people can connect to/from their bus?  That would greatly reduce resources needed.  (Or, Jamaica Center up to Parsons Blvd (F) , 169th, 179th.)
They could save money by allowing free transfers to the Q6, Q8, Q9, Q41, Q44, etc and maybe not even need shuttle buses.

that has nothing to do with the 63rd st tunnel shutdown

On 10/27/2023 at 11:46 AM, R32 3838 said:

If they don’t want to overload the relays at CTL I can see them doing it Kew Relay and back but the Supt told me yesterday as of now no weekend shutdown past CTL is in the plans.. They got other issues to deal with in Brooklyn.

Edited by RTOMan

Working the shuttle:

There is new invert and rails as far east as “FDR Interlocking” (that’s its name on the model board)

“skeleton” track on new invert from there through to Roosevelt Island Station.

just past the station to the east is newly poured invert with no track at all.

they are currently ripping it up in the eastern river tube 

work has not yet reached Queensbridge.

the current GO runs to the end of the month. We’ll see where we are come thanksgiving.

14 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

Working the shuttle:

There is new invert and rails as far east as “FDR Interlocking” (that’s its name on the model board)

“skeleton” track on new invert from there through to Roosevelt Island Station.

just past the station to the east is newly poured invert with no track at all.

they are currently ripping it up in the eastern river tube 

work has not yet reached Queensbridge.

the current GO runs to the end of the month. We’ll see where we are come thanksgiving.

Is this all on T1 or T2 track?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2023 at 6:10 AM, Kamen Rider said:

The G.O. On T2 has received an extension into mid December.

I’m guessing this means they probably won’t really get started on T1 until the beginning of January. Got to take down all the construction barriers blocking T2 for one thing.

Once i saw that GO i knew this wasn't going to be finished in Feb...

This might last the Whole Winter Pick or most of it...

2 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Once i saw that GO i knew this wasn't going to be finished in Feb...

This might last the Whole Winter Pick or most of it...

I can not be the only one who thinks the CCD crew has bitten off more than they can chew.

like, having to write the local E and F into the public facing timetables…

If they had common sense, they would have temporarily suspended QBL CBTC East, moved the layups back, then the work trains could move in and out of the GO via D3 and D4 unimpeded in the overnights. But no… the entire corridor has to be upended for over an hour every day just after the rush.

i already hated the all local F… now they throw it in at 11AM… with the Romeo’s in the mix?

someone planning this has never worked a road job…

2 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

I can not be the only one who thinks the CCD crew has bitten off more than they can chew.

If they had common sense, they would have temporarily suspended QBL CBTC East, moved the layups back, then the work trains could move in and out of the GO via D3 and D4 unimpeded in the overnights. But no… the entire corridor has to be upended for over an hour every day just after the rush.

i already hated the all local F… now they throw it in at 11AM… with the Romeo’s in the mix?

shocking....

8 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

And of course now we have the blowback for someone's brilliant idea of doing it this way.  

Regarding this local for the (E) and (F) its all POLITICS...

The Queens Blvd riders whining about lack of local service because the (M) is gone..

TA gave em what they wanted dont blame TA blame the Whiners who wanted to wait 6 mins for a train instead of 8...

Oh BTW when we are going local there's like a train every MINUTE (countdown Clock and MAL tells me so)on D1 and D2 tracks so they got what they wanted...

Wont be my problem Next Pick i went switching the heck with this nonsense.

Edited by RTOMan

12 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Well if they went with the Original plans...

With EVERYTHING going along 53rd street...

There'd be No movement most of the times..

I give em credit down there in OCC they moving these switches like pros and talking to us on the radio on who leaves the plaza first when we are going local.

3 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

And of course now we have the blowback for someone's brilliant idea of doing it this way.  

Nope there isn't people got what they wanted more local service they happy..

Riders dont care...

Only the Crews are the ones getting beat up...

No one cares about them anyway...

2 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Regarding this local for the (E) and (F) its all POLITICS...

The Queens Blvd riders whining about lack of local service because the (M) is gone..

TA gave em what they wanted dont blame TA blame the Whiners who wanted to wait 6 mins for a train instead of 8...

Oh BTW when we are going local there's like a train every MINUTE (countdown Clock and MAL tells me so)on D1 and D2 tracks so they got what they wanted...

Wont be my problem Next Pick i went switching the heck with this nonsense.

You can't get mad at them when they (R) train itself is garbage. Even if they didn't have a crew shortage people would still have to wait more than 10 mins during rush hours. On the weekends it's brutal but with the GO's i can understand. Of course people are going to complain. (MTA) wanted to be cheap instead of providing extra service outside the (R). Everyone knew that increasing  (R) service wasn't going to work and if you see how crowded Jackson heights is you'll understand why people have complained.

I understand having the (F) all local sucks for the crew but that's all on the (MTA) and the idiots at op planning. This was planned poorly and they could have come up with better alternatives like enhanced shuttle bus service on queens blvd and on Broadway straight to the city for those local stations and LIRR being $2.75 between Jamaica and the City (Penn and GCM).

Also the extra Local service starts at 11am, Not rush hour and it's not politics, they gotta move those Work trains because they can't do it at night because of the CBTC GO at night where there are lay ups on the express tracks west of forest hills. If politics were involved they would have brute forced the (G) back to queens blvd.

Also the extra Local service starts at 11am, Not rush hour and it's not politics, they gotta move those Work trains because they can't do it at night because of the CBTC GO at night where there are lay ups on the express tracks west of forest hills. If politics were involved they would have brute forced the (G) back to queens blvd.

They can barely have enough BOs to man the Shuttle Bus service let alone provide extra bus service listen people dont want buses they want trains they still got to get to Manhattan.

Extra Local service STARTS around 2000 hrs on the PMS...

That was the folks biggest gripe the evenings when the Mikey Isnt running.

As i said Politics...

Edited by RTOMan

You can't get mad at them when they (R) train itself is garbage. Even if they didn't have a crew shortage people would still have to wait more than 10 mins during rush hours. On the weekends it's brutal but with the GO's i can understand. Of course people are going to complain. (MTA) wanted to be cheap instead of providing extra service outside the (R). Everyone knew that increasing  (R) service wasn't going to work and if you see how crowded Jackson heights is you'll understand why people have complained.

Uhh im a TO on the (F) Line i see very well how the Corridor is been working it for years...

Read the whole post you would know this since its My post.

Edited by RTOMan