63rd Street Tunnel Shutdown Begins Last week in August.

RTOMan

12 hours ago, CenSin said:

You want half the express trains barreling down Queens/Northern Boulevard to drop off a whole bunch of people at Queens Plaza or Court Square to take the next train or make a mad rush up to get the (7) because it skips Manhattan?

How is that different than local trains dropping off a whole bunch of people at Roosevelt Avenue or Queens Plaza right now? 

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Robert Spire said:

How is that different than local trains dropping off a whole bunch of people at Roosevelt Avenue or Queens Plaza right now? 

Because if their train went to Manhattan, they wouldn’t have to. Those two scenarios are guaranteed now because the train they’re already on doesn’t go there.

1 minute ago, CenSin said:

Because if their train went to Manhattan, they wouldn’t have to. Those two scenarios are guaranteed now because the train they’re already on doesn’t go there.

The thing is QBL riders have this mentality that they HAVE TO be on the express train. That's part of why the (V) was sent via 53rd rather than 63rd Street. Also express buses and the LIRR diverts many people from the subways from Woodhaven Boulevard to Jamaica that are Manhattan bound. 

6 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

Not to mention the (G) comes in on the local track at Queens Plaza.  I would look at having the (G)(M) and (R) all go to 179 if it means being able to run three locals on the full route of Queens Boulevard weekdays before I made the (G) an express train.  

There is a reason the (R) stopped running to Astoria and swapped terminals with the (N) in 1987, and that was lack of yard access for the (R)

The lack of yard access for the  (R) would be solved if the (N) and the (R) used the same equipment. I also proposed the (R) not running overnight and instead having the (N) run to Astoria late nights as it does now, you can have the last (R) trains of the day be (N) trains and the first (R) trains be (N) trains or any put in trains to run as  (N) trains to Astoria to address the lack of yard access.

Now that the 11th Street connection wouldn't be used and the (F) and (M) would both be on 63rd Street. The (E) and (G) having Queens Plaza to itself and merging to run on the Express track wouldn't be a big deal. 

45 minutes ago, Robert Spire said:

The thing is QBL riders have this mentality that they HAVE TO be on the express train. That's part of why the (V) was sent via 53rd rather than 63rd Street. Also express buses and the LIRR diverts many people from the subways from Woodhaven Boulevard to Jamaica that are Manhattan bound. 

The lack of yard access for the  (R) would be solved if the (N) and the (R) used the same equipment. I also proposed the (R) not running overnight and instead having the (N) run to Astoria late nights as it does now, you can have the last (R) trains of the day be (N) trains and the first (R) trains be (N) trains or any put in trains to run as  (N) trains to Astoria to address the lack of yard access.

Now that the 11th Street connection wouldn't be used and the (F) and (M) would both be on 63rd Street. The (E) and (G) having Queens Plaza to itself and merging to run on the Express track wouldn't be a big deal. 

The (R) to Astoria and crew swapping with the (N) would help fix the issue with the (R) maybe, but I fail to see how running the (E)(F)(G)(M) along QBL would be a good idea. Especially with your idea of running the (G) as an express line along a rather busy corridor forcing replacing another line that's already been known as the QBL express line that runs to Manhattan, it's just going to fail especially with Queens Plaza only accessible to express service only. The point I'm getting at is that Jackson Heights would continue to be a station that forces people to transfer, now you have people transferring over express because most people are going to transfer over to the (E). LIRR and express buses isn't much of a feasible alternative because that's extra money for just one trip, especially express buses being $7 ride.

Oh  i forgot to mention since the (G) uses Five car UNITS (I had to put that in CAPS for the ones who cant understand where im coming from) They are in BYPASS in queens until the software is updated.

There's a Bulletin out about that because they do five car transfers to and from Jamaica Yard all the time and those non reporting trains totally plug the railroad up...

So there goes that Idea of (G) service in Queens anytime soon..

I'm sure this will get ignored as well since it dont fit some of yall fantasies anyway but just throwing it out there for those who understand..

Edited by RTOMan

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

The (R) to Astoria and crew swapping with the (N) would help fix the issue with the (R) maybe, but I fail to see how running the (E)(F)(G)(M) along QBL would be a good idea. Especially with your idea of running the (G) as an express line along a rather busy corridor forcing replacing another line that's already been known as the QBL express line that runs to Manhattan, it's just going to fail especially with Queens Plaza only accessible to express service only. The point I'm getting at is that Jackson Heights would continue to be a station that forces people to transfer, now you have people transferring over express because most people are going to transfer over to the (E). LIRR and express buses isn't much of a feasible alternative because that's extra money for just one trip, especially express buses being $7 ride.

It forces people to use the local services and given that the local services are both 6th Avenue via 63rd Street, there's less of an operational headache. Queens Plaza is rather quiet for an express stop anyways, especially compared to 71st Avenue or Roosevelt. 

1 hour ago, RTOMan said:

Oh  i forgot to mention since the (G) uses Five car UNITS (I had to put that in CAPS for the ones who cant understand where im coming from) They are in BYPASS in queens until the software is updated.

There's a Bulletin out about that because they do five car transfers to and from Jamaica Yard all the time and those non reporting trains totally plug the railroad up...

I'm sure this will get ignored as well since it dont fit some of yall fantasies anyway but just throwing it out there for those who understand..

I'd have the (G) be full length. The politicians in gentrified Brooklyn have been demanding the MTA show the (G) some love for years now! I'm finally about to show the (G) some love and then some! 

2 hours ago, Robert Spire said:

The other thing is that having to go to Manhattan isn’ta mentality. Cutting a quarter of capacity to Manhattan diverts capacity from many people’s main destination.

5 minutes ago, CenSin said:

The other thing is that having to go to Manhattan isn’ta mentality. Cutting a quarter of capacity to Manhattan diverts capacity from many people’s main destination.

But insisting on using the express train to do so is. Also many Brooklynites were upset at the loss of  (G) service and if the  (G) comes back full time in Queens, it might be too politically popular to pull back. I also believe that over time, more Manhattanites want Manhattan to themselves, they want to limit the number of "outsiders" welcome there. So if they want to mess around with the outer reaches of the outer boroughs like Queens, let Manhattanites find out. 

1 hour ago, Robert Spire said:

There's also not enough cars for #6minuteservice or better which Riders Alliance has been clamoring for the entire subway service. 

Honestly they shouldn't do it, considering that people aren't even paying. If I were running things, you'd get the following service based on how much farebeating there is going on:

**These changes are changes to currently scheduled service. If I make a note, this only applies to the time of day mentioned. Scheduled service outside of this window will remain as-is

(1) - no change

(2)(3)(4)(5) - Midday service cut to 10 minutes   

(5) train cut back to Bowling Green

(6) - every 6 minutes middays, no express Bronx Service - all trains to/from Pelham Bay Park

(7) - Every 6 minutes middays and weekend daytime hours

(A) - every 10 minutes per branch all times except rush hours and scheduling adjustments to make sure headways are even along the (A) route from 207 St to Rockaway Blvd

(B)(C)(D)(M)(N)(R)(W) - Every 12 minutes middays

**Run (M) train evenings until 10:30PM or 11PM to/from 6 Av line stations

* (C) every 12 minute rush hours

(J) service every 8 minutes middays

*(B) service every 12 minutes after 7PM 

(E)(F) - every 8 minutes each middays. (Maybe even make (F) service every 8-10 minutes rush hours - remove Kings Highway / Church Av / Avenue X trips)

(G) - no change, except for restoring 8-minute headways between 7PM and 8PM (oddly reduced to every 10 minutes for that one hour)

(L) - every 10 minutes all times except rush hours and late nights

(Q) - no change

*If farebeating persists:

remove (W) train

Cut (L) train to every 12-15 minutes

Scale (J) back to every 10 minutes 

Scale (3) service back to every 12 minutes middays, and adjust (2)(4) service to every 8 minutes

Scale (5) service back to every 12 minutes middays (still run only between Bowling Green and Eastchester-Dyre Av)

Edited by darkstar8983

2 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Honestly they shouldn't do it, considering that people aren't even paying. If I were running things, you'd get the following service based on how much farebeating there is going on:

**These changes are changes to currently scheduled service. If I make a note, this only applies to the time of day mentioned. Scheduled service outside of this window will remain as-is

(1) - no change

(6) - every 6 minutes middays, no express Bronx Service - all trains to/from Pelham Bay Park

(A) - every 10 minutes per branch all times except rush hours and scheduling adjustments to make sure headways are even along the (A) route from 207 St to Rockaway Blvd

(E)(F) - every 8 minutes each middays. (Maybe even make (F) service every 8-10 minutes rush hours - remove Kings Highway / Church Av / Avenue X trips)

(G) - no change, except for restoring 8-minute headways between 7PM and 8PM (oddly reduced to every 10 minutes for that one hour)

(Q) - no change

remove (W) train

Scale (3) service back to every 12 minutes middays, and adjust (2)(4) service to every 8 minutes

Scale (5) service back to every 12 minutes middays (still run only between Bowling Green and Eastchester-Dyre Av)

So you'd willingly create a death spiral just to spite certain people.

Stay far away from transit planning.

7 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Most of these problems are due to poor planning. Had they the foresight, the most simplest and cheapest solution for this track work would have been to extend the (G) 13 stops to Forest Hills and call it a day.  

Not enough R160s? Cut the (R) back to City Hall or Whitehall, send the (W) to Bay Ridge.

6 hours ago, Robert Spire said:

. The politicians in gentrified Brooklyn have been demanding the MTA show the (G) some love for years now! 

That’s the other thing. Williamsburg and Downtown Brooklyn have grown as well as areas along QBL local ( Steinway, Q70 @ Roosevelt, QCM @ Woodhaven, Forest Hills). The (G) would be (is) more appreciated now, compared to an infrequent short train with a stub terminal at Smith-9th Street.

18 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Most of these problems are due to poor planning. Had they the foresight, the most simplest and cheapest solution for this track work would have been to extend the (G) 13 stops to Forest Hills and call it a day.  

Not enough R160s? Cut the (R) back to City Hall or Whitehall, send the (W) to Bay Ridge.

That’s the other thing. Williamsburg and Downtown Brooklyn have grown as well as areas along QBL local ( Steinway, Q70 @ Roosevelt, QCM @ Woodhaven, Forest Hills). The (G) would be (is) more appreciated now, compared to an infrequent short train with a stub terminal at Smith-9th Street.

Can't really do that with (on paper) a 6 min headway. Whitehall st only have one middle track and the (W) is about every 8-10 mins. Canal st would be better but then you'll back up (W) service due to crews making sure the train in cleared out.

The last minute option is to simply make the (E) local 24/7 (Or every other (E) local) until the GO is over. It might not be the best option but the (E) is a shorter line vs the (F). It's too late to even extend the (G)  to forest hills due to the obvious issues.

25 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

The (G) was appreciated even back then. The real issue is that Manhattanites don't want express buses, people driving cars, they want people from elsewhere scuttling in like rats. 

3 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

Can't really do that with (on paper) a 6 min headway. Whitehall st only have one middle track and the (W) is about every 8-10 mins. Canal st would be better but then you'll back up (W) service due to crews making sure the train in cleared out.

The last minute option is to simply make the (E) local 24/7 (Or every other (E) local) until the GO is over. It might not be the best option but the (E) is a shorter line vs the (F). It's too late to even extend the (G)  to forest hills due to the obvious issues.

Every other (E) local would be too complex unless you have a diamond bullet or something. 

9 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

(1) - no change

(Q) - no change

remove (W) train

this is the most delusional thing ive seen here. less service will encourage more farebeating which leads to less revenue, which encourages cuts of service, which leads to....see where im going here

Why punish those who do pay?

9 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

The (N) and (R) Literally just got a Service increase to every 8 Minutes on Middays. It'd be foolish to undo that.

Also say what you will about this 63rd Street GO, but it is undeniable that Op's at Queens Plaza have been running a lot smoother now since the GO Commenced.

On 9/6/2023 at 11:26 AM, Robert Spire said:

There's also not enough cars for #6minuteservice or better which Riders Alliance has been clamoring for the entire subway service. 

They’ll live… Or they can take a UBER or a Bus…

On 9/6/2023 at 4:13 PM, N6 Limited said:

Well that’s their problem not mine.. The checks don’t bounce and I don’t get paid enough to worry about their mistakes… 

On 9/6/2023 at 2:58 PM, Lex said:

So you'd willingly create a death spiral just to spite certain people.

Stay far away from transit planning.

Now you see why I said I’m glad none of these folks in this thread has anything to do with transit planning… 

21 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

(1) - no change

(Q) - no change

remove (W) train

I mean I understand his frustration, but that’s not the way to go about it. I do admit farebeating has gotten out of control, across all MTA modes of transportation, including commuter rails.

54 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I mean I understand his frustration, but that’s not the way to go about it. I do admit farebeating has gotten out of control, across all MTA modes of transportation, including commuter rails.

I mean it IS ridiculous - on average now I take the subway once (one trip) every other week (when its raining), but even then, I feel like I'm breaking the law by paying because of how many people around me dont pay the fare, even with the cops standing next to the turnstile. And everyone living the lap of luxury riding fare-free, so I figured, "Fine, you want free service, this is the service level you get, because people don't work for free"

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Wow they finally got to the rails farebeating…