63rd Street Tunnel Shutdown Begins Last week in August.

RTOMan

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, slantfan4281 said:

It's not difficult to remember like it's some midday/evening after PM rush swap. Weekends and overnight via 63rd, all other times via 53rd. Commuters aren't idiots and will figure it out. Regardless you'll have service to 6th Av one way and QBL the other. They didn't have any issues sending the (R) via the bridge over the weekend back when they were renovating Montague.

Will it involve change and adjustments, something the MTA is allergic to? Yes. But you can fix a backup on one of the busiest trunk lines. Just because it makes things slightly more annoying for operations doesn't mean it won't greatly benefit commuters with fewer delays. 

Just look at the overcrowding at Roosevelt that lead to that person falling onto the tracks the other day. 53rd is much busier than 63rd, and right now the (E) is overcrowded, the (F) is slightly less so, and (M) carries air. If we ran twice as many express trains through 53rd you could relieve some congestion on the (E) and crowding at Roosevelt from people passing up (F) and (M) for the (E). When the (V) was around it carried air despite the MTA's attempts at sending it 53rd to relieve the (E), and they're still doing the same thing today. 

you cant run any more trains through 53rd, its already at capacity, and they had to cut some E/F trains

19 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

If they were to swap the (F) and (M) permanently  , The (M) can run to 21st queens bridge on nights and weekends giving (M) riders 24/7 access to midtown which is needed. The (M) to Essex is a waste and when the (M) was running on 6th ave on weekends to 96th st, The ridership was high so the demand is there.

You don't need thru service from queens blvd and 63rd st during the late nights and weekends and they can at least give a free out of system transfer between queens plaza and Queensbridge or take the Q66 and Q69 buses to queen bridge. Then once the GOs and everything is done on queens blvd then they can bring the (M) to forest hills.

All they have to do is fix the issues with dwell times and other issues and the (E) and (F) can run via 53rd without issue. They use the same equipment so it's not like in the 90s where the (F) had nothing but R46s and the (E) was all R32s which created dwell time due to the R46s having 32 doors vs 40 on an R32.

CBTC on paper is supposed to fix these issues but we all know that isn't the case at this moment.

the (M) had ridership to 96th over the weekends because the (L) was out.....

4 hours ago, slantfan4281 said:

The current setup with 36th is awful... (can't count how many times I've been on a stopped and crawling (F) towards Jamaica after Queensbridge...)

Is it really that much of a hassle to even swap the two on weekdays and then just run the (F) via 63rd weekends and overnight? You can run some short turn (M) to 2nd Av to make up for the service loss on 63rd, but won't have to run the full (M) other times...

With CBTC I just find it crazy that the MTA is willing to let such a major bottleneck stay in place... hell, they seem somewhat willing to reconfigure service through Rogers a little with new switches in the 20 year assessment, even though that would take much more work, cost more, and force more transfers... 

short turning at 2nd will clog up the F

3 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

the (M) had ridership to 96th over the weekends because the (L) was out.....

Even with the (L) running it would still have the ridership. Y'all always try to downplay shit only for it to blow up in your faces. That Portion between 96th st and 34th st herald sq had decent ridership and this is when ridership wasn't even at pre pandemic levels. I know because i took it every weekend while working on the UES and people were taking the (M) train. Having the (M) run to midtown on weekends and nights would help not only (M) riders but 6th ave riders as well.

(L) riders didn't take the (M) all the way up to 96th and 2nd ave. So your point is moot.

16 hours ago, slantfan4281 said:

The current setup with 36th is awful... (can't count how many times I've been on a stopped and crawling (F) towards Jamaica after Queensbridge...)

Was this before or after that GO started? Think carefully now..

Is it really that much of a hassle to even swap the two on weekdays and then just run the (F) via 63rd weekends and overnight? You can run some short turn (M) to 2nd Av to make up for the service loss on 63rd, but won't have to run the full (M) other times...

Yes it is and No its not happening...

With CBTC I just find it crazy that the MTA is willing to let such a major bottleneck stay in place... hell, they seem somewhat willing to reconfigure service through Rogers a little with new switches in the 20 year assessment, even though that would take much more work, cost more, and force more transfers... 

Again Before or after this GO started?

On 10/19/2023 at 10:30 AM, slantfan4281 said:
On 10/19/2023 at 9:51 AM, Lawrence St said:

I never understood why those (R) put-in’s don’t run in service instead of clogging up the road.

Would probably just confuse riders and no need to add to the run time

What do you mean? Those (R)s already do that―and without any benefit to would-be passengers.

On 10/19/2023 at 9:21 AM, slantfan4281 said:

It's not difficult to remember like it's some midday/evening after PM rush swap. Weekends and overnight via 63rd, all other times via 53rd. Commuters aren't idiots and will figure it out. Regardless you'll have service to 6th Av one way and QBL the other. They didn't have any issues sending the (R) via the bridge over the weekend back when they were renovating Montague.

Will it involve change and adjustments, something the MTA is allergic to? Yes. But you can fix a backup on one of the busiest trunk lines. Just because it makes things slightly more annoying for operations doesn't mean it won't greatly benefit commuters with fewer delays. 

Just look at the overcrowding at Roosevelt that lead to that person falling onto the tracks the other day. 53rd is much busier than 63rd, and right now the (E) is overcrowded, the (F) is slightly less so, and (M) carries air. If we ran twice as many express trains through 53rd you could relieve some congestion on the (E) and crowding at Roosevelt from people passing up (F) and (M) for the (E). When the (V) was around it carried air despite the MTA's attempts at sending it 53rd to relieve the (E), and they're still doing the same thing today. 

A simpler solution which I haven't seen brought up is to make the (F) local and the (M) express in Queens while keeping those two trains on 63rd and 53rd respectively. Yes, Queens would loose an express train on weekends, but so do other lines on the system (Broadway, Sixth Ave, Eastern Parkway), and the express trains on those lines don't seem to be overcrowded on weekends.

5 hours ago, JSLR7 said:

A simpler solution which I haven't seen brought up is to make the (F) local and the (M) express in Queens while keeping those two trains on 63rd and 53rd respectively. Yes, Queens would loose an express train on weekends, but so do other lines on the system (Broadway, Sixth Ave, Eastern Parkway), and the express trains on those lines don't seem to be overcrowded on weekends.

Yes, let's make a lower-frequency route with shorter trains that short-turns in Forest Hills the express while the route that is only shorter than the Rockaway (A) in length and serves Jamaica with full-length trains at a higher frequency becomes fully local. What could possibly go wrong?

9 hours ago, JSLR7 said:

making the (M) express would be worse because it's 8 cars. Do you guys even think. Why make the one of the busiest lines in Queens Local during the weekday knowing the ridership is very high on the (F). The (M) express from forest hills would delay the damn (E) since it has to cross in front of it and when it terminates, they have to clear out the train thus backing up (E) service.

This deinterling shit really makes you guys lack common sense. The best railways in the world merge and still be on time.

Some parts of the system should be de-interlined but not everything the way y'all want it.

The (F) going via 53rd and the (M) going via 63rd make sense but there are also drawbacks to that.

This is why the (MTA) should invest in high speed switches and modify some crossovers in order to have trains merge to other tracks at higher speeds.

11 hours ago, JSLR7 said:

Sigh....

This isn't BVE...

On 10/21/2023 at 2:49 AM, JSLR7 said:

Has it ever occurred to you that we train crews are human beings who have lives outside of our train cabs…? That we are not part of the train? That we were not built in the factory? That we’re not machines?

You want to make the F local all day? 55 station one way trip? A near two hour trip on a GOOD day… all because some people are a smidge impatient?

sure… doesn’t affect you. You don’t have to travel the entire way. You don’t have to be on the train from Jamaica to Coney. We do.

4 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Has it ever occurred to you that we train crews are human beings who have lives outside of our train cabs…? That we are not part of the train? That we were not built in the factory? That we’re not machines?

You want to make the F local all day? 55 station one way trip? A near two hour trip on a GOOD day… all because some people are a smidge impatient?

sure… doesn’t affect you. You don’t have to travel the entire way. You don’t have to be on the train from Jamaica to Coney. We do.

couldnt have said it better myself

On 10/24/2023 at 6:58 PM, Kamen Rider said:

People  who think like that poster can never work down here because they cannot grasp that concept of train operation..

Or the toll it can take on a person....

I do that Local chit on my last half from STL its no Joke with CBTC add the work zones with the station work and its a easy 2 1/2 hours from STL to 179...

That's one half some folks got to do a whole trip...

Edited by RTOMan

11 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

People  who think like that poster can never work down here because they cannot grasp that concept of train operation..

I do that Local chit on my last half from STL its no Joke with CBTC add the work zones with the station work and its a easy 2 1/2 hours from STL to 179...

been there done that midnights on the Fox, its straight up torture, youd be lucky if it ONLY takes you two hours one way

31 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

19 minutes ago, Comrade96 said:

been there done that midnights on the Fox, its straight up torture, youd be lucky if it ONLY takes you two hours one way

I feel both of your pain as I had to deal with the first phase of CBTC installation on the QBL, definitely torture. Sometimes missing my bus as well. 

7 hours ago, Jdog14 said:

and that doesnt account for when they do cbtc bypass......

A TO told me it takes him THREE HOURS to get from STL to 179 a few times on the late PMs mostly on Fridays when they drop that CBTC BYPASS nonsense in around 2200..

Edited by RTOMan

8 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

I feel both of your pain as I had to deal with the first phase of CBTC installation on the QBL, definitely torture. Sometimes missing my bus as well. 

Wait till they get started around the Briarwood to 179 and Parsons part ,QB East they are calling it...

On 10/24/2023 at 6:58 PM, Kamen Rider said:

There is a reason even in the overnight normally the (F) is express and that is the very long route it takes.  That is also why we have the (M) running via 53rd and originally had the (V) when the (F) moved to 63rd.  

The (A) in the overnights when that is local I'm sure isn't exactly a picnic as that I believe is an even longer route than the (F).

Yes, I come up with some crazy route ideas but some of them are to split routes in two that make them shorter (my splitting the (R) into <R> and (W) for example with a "Yellow (V)" supplementing the (N) and having it handle those who actually use Montague to get to lower Manhattan).