R46 Retirement Thread

zacster

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

unfortunately, that would not work in terms of stopping patterns in one direction. theoretically that would work for example- uptown, but downtown you'd need a special 9-car marker and boards to line up for that one R46 train consist, and you'd have too make sure the train doesn't loop around so that the 'triple' doesn't end up on the wrong end of the train.

Other ideas:

1. Just retire all 4 cars

2. Make 5550-5552 an A-A set and transfer to the (A) line / retire 5553

3. Add 6214 to the set and make the set 5550-6214-5553-5552

They won't do that, They badly need more parts and they are running out of them. Those cars except the one that was involved in the shooting are parts donors now. It makes no sense to bring them back into service when they are about to retire a chunk of the fleet starting next year.

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

They won't do that, They badly need more parts and they are running out of them. Those cars except the one that was involved in the shooting are parts donors now. It makes no sense to bring them back into service when they are about to retire a chunk of the fleet starting next year.

Yeah. that's why my first choice is to just retire the extra 3 cars for spare parts, especially considering the vandalism. I wouldn't be surprised if the A-A pairs when they "retire" will also be used for parts.

I have been hearing Coney's 5754-5755-5757-5756 and possibly another set has been retired and has been separated sitting in the back of Coney. This explains the one R-160 filling in for a Coney run throughout the day if true.

5754 was the first R-46 built under number 500. 

Has anyone seen this set in service recently?

17 minutes ago, 4P3607 said:

I have been hearing Coney's 5754-5755-5757-5756 and possibly another set has been retired and has been separated sitting in the back of Coney. This explains the one R-160 filling in for a Coney run throughout the day if true.

?? Proof

On 12/14/2023 at 1:14 PM, 4P3607 said:

This set was in service the day before you made this post. The two R160s that ran on the Q recently was because of issues that are easily solved with troubleshooting and maintenance.

On 12/16/2023 at 7:45 PM, BenTheMiner said:

Staten Island Railway R44 car 452 may be retired. It was seen in the storage siding behind the Western Beef along with car 424, which is retired. Before this, 452 was seen with car 401, also retired.

I’m curious - how many trains are needed to make service on the SIR, because 58 cars on the line equals only a maximum of 14 trains that can be assembled, and assuming any spare factor, SIR can’t require too many trains to make service. 

R46s are still running on the (H). Just now saw one leaving Broad Channel southbound and another at the relay while on the (A) heading northbound. I also saw an R179 on the (H) earlier while on the (A) to Far Rockaway.

Sorry if this was already brought up btw.

Edited by Jemorie

6 hours ago, Jemorie said:

R46s are still running on the (H). Just now saw one leaving Broad Channel southbound and another at the relay while on the (A) heading northbound. I also saw an R179 on the (H) earlier while on the (A) to Far Rockaway.

Sorry if this was already brought up btw.

Correct. I'm not sure what happened to it being limited to R179s, but it seems like that is no longer the case.

On 12/21/2023 at 11:16 AM, zacster said:

Guessing here, but maybe they took the R179s off because they wanted them back on the A or C, depending on which they used, because the R211s are still not back.  There was a promise of new trains but the line was almost all R46.

I completely forgot about that and I even thought of that as well lol

R46 married pair 6216+6218 out of service because of a horrible flat wheel on 6216. Set is being towed to Coney Island Yard. It's also missing an end rollsign box, which makes me come up with this theory based on other married pairs' past situations:

Pitkin Yard may be using the married pairs for spare parts whenever they're not in active service. Then, they could send them to Coney Island Yard (or 207th Street Yard?) to receive more parts.

Edited by BenTheMiner

Maybe though the end sign has been missing for a while and is never used at the front for that reason?  With most of the R211s back in service and more on the way maybe they'll start sidelining some of these cars again.  And after the disaster with the R211s, they won't be fully retiring any R46s anytime soon.

2 minutes ago, zacster said:

Maybe though the end sign has been missing for a while and is never used at the front for that reason?  With most of the R211s back in service and more on the way maybe they'll start sidelining some of these cars again.  And after the disaster with the R211s, they won't be fully retiring any R46s anytime soon.

They might start retiring them when about 110 cars are in service, thats the goal I believe.

On 12/29/2023 at 11:08 PM, zacster said:

6216 was leading back in November, so...

18 hours ago, BenTheMiner said:

6216 was leading back in November, so...

a missing rollsign on the front means nothing - I've seen R46s on the (N)(W) missing rollsigns on the front of their trains too, but passengers are now acclimated to the equipment that runs on their line. I.E. if you're at a station on Broadway or along 59 St, when you see a new train, you know its a Queens Blvd train, and when you see an old train, you know its bound for Astoria or 96 St.

On 1/2/2024 at 3:50 PM, darkstar8983 said:

a missing rollsign on the front means nothing - I've seen R46s on the (N)(W) missing rollsigns on the front of their trains too, but passengers are now acclimated to the equipment that runs on their line. I.E. if you're at a station on Broadway or along 59 St, when you see a new train, you know its a Queens Blvd train, and when you see an old train, you know its bound for Astoria or 96 St.

Basically. But with Pitkin Yard's married pairs, it's different. They're often seen in the yard without a front rollsign box, which led to my theory of Pitkin Yard using them for spare parts whenever they're not in active use.

On 1/2/2024 at 3:50 PM, darkstar8983 said:

Not really, someone asked me if the R46 (N) was actually a (R) because they still think the old fleet run on the (R)

• 2 weeks later...

With the R211s coming back in service have they pulled the A-A cars out again?  Or are they all still mixed in?   If they have 4230-4234 waiting in Lincoln that's 195 cars ready  4040 thru 4234 and I'm sure 4235-9 are also being readied, so 200 cars or 20 trains.  Something has to go to make room, even if to some corner of 38th St yard.