Worker dies at Long Island Wal-Mart after being trampled in Black Friday stampede

CPBO

[/b]Worker dies at Long Island Wal-Mart after being trampled in Black Friday stampede

BY JOE GOULD

DAILY NEWS WRITER

A Wal-Mart store was the scene of chaos this morning.

Related News

Photo Gallery

Black Friday frenzy

Articles

NYers make mad dash for deals

Black Friday shopping tips

Retailers optimistic about Black Friday

A worker died after being trampled and a woman miscarried when hundreds of shoppers smashed through the doors of a Long Island Wal-Mart Friday morning, witnesses said.

The unidentified worker, employed as an overnight stock clerk, tried to hold back the unruly crowds just after the Valley Stream store opened at 5 a.m.

Witnesses said the surging throngs of shoppers knocked the man down. He fell and was stepped on. As he gasped for air, shoppers ran over and around him.

"He was bum-rushed by 200 people," said Jimmy Overby, 43, a co-worker. "They took the doors off the hinges. He was trampled and killed in front of me. They took me down too...I literally had to fight people off my back."

Nassau County Police are still investigating and would not confirm the witness accounts. The Medical Examiner will determine the cause of death. Police did say there were several injuries but weren't more specific.

Jessica Keyes was among the shoppers. She told the Daily News she saw a woman knocked down just a few feet from the dying worker.

"When the paramedics came, she said 'I'm pregnant,'" Keyes said.

Paramedics treated the woman inside the store and then, according to Keys, told the woman:

"There's nothing we can do. The baby is gone."

Before police shut down the store, eager shoppers streamed past emergency crews as they worked furiously to save the store clerk's life.

"They were working on him, but you could see he was dead, said Halcyon Alexander, 29. "People were still coming through."

Only a few stopped.

"They're savages," said shopper Kimberly Cribbs, 27. "It's sad. It's terrible."

Exactly. It's people like this and these selfish attitudes that are responsible for why things were much better ten years ago from a social standpoint than today. A bunch of selfish people. And in the end the only ones they're hurting are themselves because people will be selfish right back at them.

As someone who has put a few of these "me first" people in their place from time to time, there is no better feeling than telling them no and shutting them down...you feel like you're their father and they look up at you stunned because clearly people have let them get their way their whole lives and no one has ever talked to them like that. If these people had fathers telling them that when they were kids maybe they would of grown up with some sense of decency but parents today are too busy telling their kids they're all "unique" and "special" then they get into the real world and they dont think the rules apply to them.

Exactly. It's people like this and these selfish attitudes that are responsible for why things were much better ten years ago from a social standpoint than today. A bunch of selfish people. And in the end the only ones they're hurting are themselves because people will be selfish right back at them.

As someone who has put a few of these "me first" people in their place from time to time, there is no better feeling than telling them no and shutting them down...you feel like you're their father and they look up at you stunned because clearly people have let them get their way their whole lives and no one has ever talked to them like that. If these people had fathers telling them that when they were kids maybe they would of grown up with some sense of decency but parents today are too busy telling their kids they're all "unique" and "special" then they get into the real world and they dont think the rules apply to them.

They are really messed up, these people. I was at Macy's today, and the shoe department looked as if a riot or an attack occurred. Everything was all over the place.

I can't believe that people are more concerned about the temporary ego gratification of a high-definition television than the life of another human being. I can't believe they were more concerned about saving money than saving a life. It's not even about the economy at this point. It's just the fact that human beings have no class, whatsoever. We need to sit down and re-think our priorities.

I can't believe that people are more concerned about the temporary ego gratification of a high-definition television than the life of another human being. I can't believe they were more concerned about saving money than saving a life. It's not even about the economy at this point. It's just the fact that human beings have no class, whatsoever. We need to sit down and re-think our priorities.

I'm sitting at home right now with a sprained ankle and a new 50" plasma TV. I wasn't at that Walmart but it was bad where I was. It wasn't even a thing of people not wanting to people, they couldn't. When the Mohegan Lake store opened at 5am people cut the lines and knocked over carts and people, If you tried to stop and help you fell as well. I had to climb over people, then jump in overturned carts (I got stuck and sprained my ankle) just so i wasn't trampled. Then inside you had to fight people once you got what you wanted it was a mess.

Yeah I went to Green acres mall (Walmart is in the vicinity) and it was an absolute mess. I just don't understand why they can't have cops around the mall area to regulate traffic and look out for these things. Funny thing I didn't bother going in the mall, I just left since it was just too much. I'll do my shopping tomorrow or any other day after today thank you very much. You pretty much get the same deals. I mean this event was an absolute disgrace.

I hope what I read wasn't true.

"The unidentified worker, employed as an overnight stock clerk, tried to hold back the unruly crowds just after the Valley Stream store opened at 5 a.m."...........

They may be savages, but I can't feel too sorry due to his own actions. He had to be crazy to try to hold back an unruly crowd of Long Islanders on "El Friday de Negro". You make a mad dash into the warehouse, or climb some shelves as the hoard of hippos come through...........

On Black Friday store employees should be allowed to use electrical cattle prods. If they shock someone with a bad or artificial heart, well collateral damage. It's you or them...........

I work as a cashier at K-Mart and this happens ALL THE TIME. People steal stuff out of other peoples carts, and others blatently think that cashiers are ignorant about what's on sale and try to trick their way to getting what they want. It's horrible.

I was working this morning and there were 3 fights in the store. I'll tell you what though, once the person unlocking the automatic doors unlocked the exterior one, she ran.

I hope what I read wasn't true.

"The unidentified worker, employed as an overnight stock clerk, tried to hold back the unruly crowds just after the Valley Stream store opened at 5 a.m."...........

They may be savages, but I can't feel too sorry due to his own actions. He had to be crazy to try to hold back an unruly crowd of Long Islanders on "El Friday de Negro". You make a mad dash into the warehouse, or climb some shelves as the hoard of hippos come through...........

On Black Friday store employees should be allowed to use electrical cattle prods. If they shock someone with a bad or artificial heart, well collateral damage. It's you or them...........

I vote in favor of giving them riot gear and rubber bullets...

Archived