R142's for the 1 and 3

PelhamExpress6

Still can't some of the 142's go to the 1 and 3. Their yards could hold some.

It's more streamlined. This way each yard won't have to carry replacement parts for a variety of trains. They can concentrate on one or two models, not every single one of them.

I believe it has to do with the requirements of New Trains that is design for all, we have people who disabled , hearing impaired, blind and so, who relys on the R142 which gives them proper automated announcement, and LED for viewing the stops.

Plus the E180th Yd/Shops is design for the NTT mainly, seeing thats where they get repaired at.. there is no point at this time for adding NTT on the (1)(3).. maybe after the R188 for the (7) is out, the (MTA) would add new cars for the (1)(3) to replace the R62/As like 20 to 30yrs from here

Why can't the (1) and (3) have a few sets of R142 or R142A. Why does it only have to be the (2)?

I hope you know, it is just not the (2) with NTT. The (4), (5)<5>, and (6)<6>, is 100% NTT also....... Only the (1), (3), and (7)<7> has the OTT trains. The (3) maintenance shop, is raggedy as hell, so it doesn't need any new trains. 240yd, doesn't seem as if it can handle them either (it's rather old). Only the (7)<7>, can handle them if need be, due to their modern shop........

Really, the R62As seem fine on the 1 and 3. What's wrong with them? it would be cool to see R142s on them, but R62As suffice. The 2 and 5, right before the NTT era ran the Redbirds. During that time, the 1 and 3 had R62As. So AFAIK, the NTTs went straight in to replace the Redbirds.

Well true, but the 7 uses 11 cars. They kept the singles to make 11 car trains.

That is why operating to Queens suck, operating from those single car ends. They should have made 6 car units instead. Braking would be better, as air would flow better through the hoses, not through couplers.......

That is why operating to Queens suck, operating from those single car ends. They should have made 6 car units instead. Braking would be better, as air would flow better through the hoses, not through couplers.......

You mean the R142s?

Apparently there are plans to switch all of the R142As to Corona soon.

And you're crammed into that little box...but it's a plus for railfanners!

i dunno about u guys but im perfectly fine with the R62A's running on the (1)(3) and (7) they are beautiful cars that havent been around all that long not to mention they have the proper route symbols on the ends of the cars like a 3 train has an actual (3) LIKE ITS SUPPOSED TO BE!

Well that's because each line has its own yard. The 1's cars are housed at 240th, the 2's at 239th, the 3's at Livonia or Lenox, the 4's at Jerome, the 5's at Unionport, the 6's at Westchester and the 7's at Corona. The 2 and 5 swap cars at Flatbush, resulting in incorrect strip maps. The 4 sometimes take R62s from the 3 (so you might see the 3 rollsigns on them). The Shuttle takes its cars from the 3, which explains why the route map at the top shows the 3 route.

i highly dought R142/A's will go to the (1) or (3). i now teh R142A will go to the (7) but like in 4 years or so. and im sure the the (1) or (3) T/Os arent trained for NTT's. but if they are,i still dont think they deserve it because they still use R62's. but i think its also unfair that the (4)(5)(6) is suing R142/A's,because they were running R62's,which were in better conition then the R36's.but i now the (5) ran R28's,but it still ran some R62s',and it was unnesery to switch those trains to the (7). im glad later the the (6) will get its R62's back.

i highly dought R142/A's will go to the (1) or (3). i now teh R142A will go to the (7) but like in 4 years or so. and im sure the the (1) or (3) T/Os arent trained for NTT's. but if they are,i still dont think they deserve it because they still use R62's. but i think its also unfair that the (4)(5)(6) is suing R142/A's,because they were running R62's,which were in better conition then the R36's.but i now the (5) ran R28's,but it still ran some R62s',and it was unnesery to switch those trains to the (7). im glad later the the (6) will get its R62's back.

We are trained on ALL A division equipment, no matter what line you work on. AFAIK railfans are the only people who want the R62A cars back on the (6). If or when it happens only I predict that only newjack (rookie) crews will pick that line.

the (6) will not get its R62As back.

Huh? Do you mean the doors?

i think he meant the railfan window. once all R32s-R42s retire, the (7) will be the only line where you can get a railfan window.

the (6) will not get its R62As back.

i think he meant the railfan window. once all R32s-R42s retire, the (7) will be the only line where you can get a railfan window.

Alright Let Me Break it down:

If Bombardeir Gets the Contract, The (2) or the (5) would get the R62A's or the (4) But the (2)/(5) would still have their R142 but not fully 100% R142.

If Kawasaki gets the contract The (4)/(6) would loose their R142A's, The (6) would still have R142A's but with the R62A's, The (4) would have R62A's as well

But the Plan is to bring Alll of the R62A's to the (6) and Their R142A's would go to corona.

So don't say that the (6) won't get the R62A's back, The (7) line is boring with the R62A's, The R62A's are mainline cars and they belong on the Mainline lines.

If Bombardeir Gets the Contract, The (2) or the (5) would get the R62A's or the (4) But the (2)/(5) would still have their R142 but not fully 100% R142.

If Kawasaki gets the contract The (4)/(6) would loose their R142A's, The (6) would still have R142A's but with the R62A's, The (4) would have R62A's as well

But the Plan is to bring Alll of the R62A's to the (6) and Their R142A's would go to corona.

So don't say that the (6) won't get the R62A's back, The (7) line is boring with the R62A's, The R62A's are mainline cars and they belong on the Mainline lines.

The R62A's on the (7) are different from the mainline's beacuse they have those LED circle/diamond signs.

The R62A's on the (7) are different from the mainline's beacuse they have those LED circle/diamond signs.
And the circle/diamond signs would be fitting for the (6)<6> as well, and it had occurred to me, perhaps that was why they made the circles green!

The Present:

The shuttle fleet is no longer assigned to Livonia. The R62As assigned to Livonia have been reassigned to 240(10) and Mosholu(the rest, 18 IIRC) shops. These reassignments occurred due to the new South Ferry station requiring an additional 1 train. (Some R142/As also moved around for this)

The Future:

The 7 is losing its R62As, I would say very likely to the 6, Although I would rather expect large amounts of tweaking to fleets of every yard to move around the addition to the fleet so multiple lines get more trains.

i dunno about u guys but im perfectly fine with the R62A's running on the (1)(3) and (7) they are beautiful cars that havent been around all that long not to mention they have the proper route symbols on the ends of the cars like a 3 train has an actual (3) LIKE ITS SUPPOSED TO BE!

I like the symbols too. It's the digital age and digital has its advantages and disadvantages. At least the R142s use red or green, so far, on the a/c signs to indicate the line. That's OK. Front and back, though, all red. The old signs are bigger, much easier to see at a distance, the color of the line if there are different Manhattan Avenue lines using the same station and you'd know if you'd have to pick up the pace to try the get the train from a distance. Lower, so from stairwells, you'd see the sign a bit quicker than the top-placed digital sign. Still, I'm overall a fan of the R142 for the automated announcements, the digital signs are much clearer than on the R44/R46, the brakes are nice. Some of the R142s bump when they take off and the ride is getting a bit bumpy as well on some. These are the things we discover as trains go through their service life. And, wow, are their a/c units loud (but work really well)!!

The mistake on the R62s was the bucket seats. They don't work whatsoever. Otherwise, lovely trains.

R62/R62As have lots of service left in them. Those strange green circles on the (7) destination signs are very useful.

And the circle/diamond signs would be fitting for the (6)<6> as well, and it had occurred to me, perhaps that was why they made the circles green!

the reason for the color is because,its for the passengers. so incase there far away,they now if its express or local from a distance,but that thoery still may be correct

If such a switcheraoo happens, it's going to be crazy. Considering how the 7 is not directly connected to the other IRT lines.

Archived