These Things Are About 6 Years Late

Beach goers and visitors to the new Luna Park will find getting home by subway at the Coney Island - Stillwell Ave Terminal a bit easier this weekend, courtesy of newly installed "Next Train Departure" screens on all four platforms of the busy terminal. The screens will take the guess work out of catching the right train on the right platform, especially for those riders who are unfamiliar or don't use the busy terminal on a regular basis.

The screens, hung on platform columns, provide simple next train information to customers, informing them which train is leaving from which platform. For instance, a screen will display this information for the D Line: "West End Line, 6 Avenue Local," with an arrow pointing toward the appropriate train and platform. The display uses the familiar train icons and colors in the display. This is Phase I of a larger pilot project that will ultimately provide train departure track and time information at the station, used by more than 15-thousand average weekday and around 39 thousand riders per weekend (Saturday and Sunday combined) during the summer months.

Read more: http://www.mta.info/news/stories/?story=69

post-367-133288582062_thumb.jpg

post-367-133288582062_thumb.jpg

Ah geez. The (MTA) wants to save money but they are wasting money on crap thats not needed. Its hot but come on, your cuting service, making changes and laying off workers but instead you do this... Smh!

Anyways, nice catch dude!

Ah geez. The (MTA) wants to save money but they are wasting money on crap thats not needed. Its hot but come on, your cuting service, making changes and laying off workers but instead you do this... Smh!

Anyways, nice catch dude!

Dear (MTA)

Please stop bitching about your employees wasting money if you're going to blow it on stuff we don't need.

-Nova RTS 9147

Dear (MTA)

Please stop bitching about your employees wasting money if you're going to blow it on stuff we don't need.

-Nova RTS 9147

lol Agreed. Whats next? Free TV in every station for the passengers wow...

Of all the stations this could be used, why Coney Island? And of all the useless things they could blow money on, why this?

Dude you serious?Regulars and tourists alike use that station day in and day out.And considering how moronic most of them are,something like this is quite useful.Besides other agcencies have something like this already and work well.This is just a matter of finally catching up to other cities and I say for us being as big as we are,its about damn time!(1)(A)(C)

Ah geez. The (MTA) wants to save money but they are wasting money on crap thats needed. Its hot but come on, your cuting service, making changes and laying off workers but instead you do this... Smh!

Anyways, nice catch babe!

LOL <R>(1)(1)(0)(:(

p.s these new things are "not" paid by their operating budget where they doing these cuts, they"are"paid by the Capital improvement budget funds. ah people just don't get it, i feel sorry for the future then.

Oh, wow; I had always been saying they should have these.

When I used to finish up there; I hated running for one train, missing that, and then, trying to run for one of the others and missing it, etc. , and then being "stranded" until the next round, or waiting for the wrong one, and another leaves.

Dude you serious?Regulars and tourists alike use that station day in and day out.And considering how moronic most of them are,something like this is quite useful.Besides other agcencies have something like this already and work well.This is just a matter of finally catching up to other cities and I say for us being as big as we are,its about damn time!(1)(A)(C)

I don't have any issues with the signs themselves (granted I don't find the current signs at Coney that complicated, but you're right, people are stupid), but for the longest the TA has been crying poverty and insulting their employees. If they're so concerned about fiscal responsibility then why spend more money on this? I just find it absurd that they have the audacity to screw over their employees while buying new gizmos.

Did the rebuilt Coney Island Station have "next train" signs before this? I don't recall there being any before now. Also, wasn't CI the only terminal in the city that needed these signs (I mean "next train", not semi-F.I.N.D.) not to have them? I wonder what took so long.

Archived