Bus Farebeaters Cost MTA $50 Million Annually

mark1447

They way I feel is everyone should pay for service. If you don't pay the fare then face consequences. As an operator you can tell who has it and who don't. When pulling into a stop I can tell you 90% of the time who going to ask me for a ride. I know as an responseable adult I alway had my fare, even as a teen. If I was broke, I walked. I remember once walking from woodhaven to Howard beach and another time from queens center mall to ozone park. People know there no enforcement of the fare, so why bother paying. The public should be crying foul at the MTA and NYPD for lack of enforcement. People need to understand there not only stealing from the MTA but also from you!

lol... Well checkmate refuses to acknowledge this and keeps saying that if the (MTA) cracked down on farebeating, those farebeaters would simply stop riding, as if suddenly folks would stop using the bus by the masses. <_< I mean who is he kidding with that ridiculous idea?

I said specifically "even if the people walked, what money is the MTA getting out of that?" You still haven't answered my question.

As for people like the woman on the S44, can she afford it? I guess she can if she said "I don't feel like paying" instead of "I can't afford it",

and she should be paying. But let's not act like all farebeaters are like that.

And I'm not going to "imagine what would happen" because it's not going to happen, so why bother entertaining the idea?

And don't sit here and pretend like all farebeaters would suddenly stop riding because that's not going to happen... The (MTA) would be getting their money, as they should be now, that's what they would get. You're going to sit here and pretend like all of the farebeaters are just hopping on for a few stops. What a load of crappola and don't sit here and say that you didn't say that. You've implied it repeatedly.

And don't sit here and pretend like all farebeaters would suddenly stop riding because that's not going to happen... The (MTA) would be getting their money, as they should be now, that's what they would get. You're going to sit here and pretend like all of the farebeaters are just hopping on for a few stops. What a load of crappola and don't sit here and say that you didn't say that. You've implied it repeatedly.

Some do and some don't. Would they get additional money if they cracked down? Yes. Should they? Yes. But who should be the first people they should go after. Miss. Saying "I don't have a MetroCard" is the same as dipping in a MetroCard, while she carries a cell phone in plain sight, and Mr. Comes-on-With-An-Attitude and Makes a Lot of Noise. Or should they go after the kid who's just trying to get to school but lives 2 feet from the boundary to get a full-fare MetroCard? Or somebody who's trying to get to their minimum-wage job who didn't get their paycheck. Or somebody who's in a hurry who honestly forgot their MetroCard on the counter.

Whenever they do these "crackdowns", it's almost never on those who truly deserve it. Somebody mentioned a time when they were "cracking down" on eating on the subway, and they started giving tickets to people drinking coffee on the subway while letting people throw chicken wings on the floor. And they crack down on "Taking up 2 seats" at 2AM when there's 10 people on the car, while letting people take up 3 seats during rush hour.

Someone should just get these two together in a room somewhere so they can talk it out among themselves, without derailing every other thread on this forum.

Seriously.

Well, first of all, how is this "derailing" a thread if we're discussing farebeating, which is the topic of the thread.

Second of all, as far as this particular thread is concerned, there's no point in it, so it really doesn't matter if it gets locked. There are a million other threads talking about farebeating, just with different numbers, so nothing new is going to be said that hasn't already been said.

But now that I think about it, he still hasn't responded to some comments another thread, not that any of them made sense, of course: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/35479-undercover-cops-patrolling-staten-island-city-buses-for-fare-beaters/page__st__40?do=findComment&comment=545580

But other than that, I think this thread should get the :lock:

Well, first of all, how is this "derailing" a thread if we're discussing farebeating, which is the topic of the thread.

No, you aren't off-topic. There have been certainly some "off-topic" incidents recently, but this doesn't have to do with them. It's just that I don't think many people feel like reading your nitpicky arguments about the little details and facts that the other person said or implied. Every time one of you says one little incorrect fact, the other one feels like he HAS to start an argument. You two are often the only people who care about these little facts, IMO.

No, you aren't off-topic. There have been certainly some "off-topic" incidents recently, but this doesn't have to do with them. It's just that I don't think many people feel like reading your nitpicky arguments about the little details and facts that the other person said or implied. Every time one of you says one little incorrect fact, the other one feels like he HAS to start an argument. You two are often the only people who care about these little facts, IMO.

Well what do you have to offer besides criticism and complaints about what you feel should be posted, what is on topic and so on?? That goes for NX as well. Neither one of you have started one thread about anything yet you complain endlessly about what is posted. Oh I don't like this thread. Let's see what you two have to offer since you have so much to say about what everyone else posts or decides to make a topic...

Well what do you have to offer besides criticism and complaints about what you feel should be posted, what is on topic and so on?? That goes for NX as well. Neither one of you have started one thread about anything yet you complain endlessly about what is posted.

That's not true at all. I've started several threads, and posted a lot of things that are constructive in my opinion. When you make posts that are destructive in my opinion, yes, I will get annoyed. Just like with the litter threads, there's already been a thread on this. That's why I said that there's no point in having a fight over the nitty-grittys of the farebeating issue when it's already been discussed.

That's not true at all. I've started several threads, and posted a lot of things that are constructive in my opinion. When you make posts that are destructive in my opinion, yes, I will get annoyed. Just like with the litter threads, there's already been a thread on this. That's why I said that there's no point in having a fight over the nitty-grittys of the farebeating issue when it's already been discussed.

Well why don't you apply to become a mod since you feel so strongly about what should be posted and so on?

Well why don't you apply to become a mod since you feel so strongly about what should be posted and so on?

Why am I not allowed to criticize you when it feels like you try to infect so many threads with the same complaints and negativity? I'm trying to stay calm here. There's no rule against criticism. You've asked me to provide constructive ideas several times, and I've done so. PLEASE, dancing-lock.gif. What's the point of this thread anymore?

Why am I not allowed to criticize you when it feels like you try to infect so many threads with the same complaints and negativity? I'm trying to stay calm here. There's no rule against criticism. You've asked me to provide constructive ideas several times, and I've done so. PLEASE, dancing-lock.gif. What's the point of this thread anymore?

oh GOD thank you all those 2 do is start pointless fights hell would freeze over before checkmate13 actually agrees with via 8 garbaldi

oh GOD thank you all those 2 do is start pointless fights hell would freeze over before checkmate13 actually agrees with via 8 garbaldi

Uh, I was the first one asking for it to be locked anyway, smart one. <_<

Nuff' Said.

My computer's not showing me the image. What's that an image of?

As an operator i would let you slide if you showed me that receipt. to be honest I let anyone ride as long as you dont act like your king of the world. In actuality i could turn around and say that the fare box also takes coins as payment of fare. and you could have bought your metrocard from a station agent.

Well here is the latest on the farebeating saga...

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/fare_cheats_are_bus_ted_1T3ronjutLe597xLR6mXDK

It looks like this is now going down citywide, especially in the buggy down Bronx... The thing is they need to keep this up and not just do a sweep and then stop. Keep this in place to catch these thugs.

I hope the police use some discretion. I've noticed at least in Brooklyn it is common for some elderly people to first sit down near the driver, then fumble for their wallet and get up several minutes later to pay. They shouldn't be socked with fines.

Well it happens on the Riverdale express buses as well, but everyone pays. I had a regular on the BxM1 one morning who gets on at 239th and Henry Hudson Parkway ask if she could use my MetroCard because she must've forgotten hers or something and I told her I only had an unlimited, as we were both getting on together. I always usually have a back up but that one is also an Express Bus Plus Unlimited, so she asked someone else and they paid for her and she just gave them the money for it.

On the other hand, leniency... Well this is what happens when people abuse something. They make it bad for everyone, but so be it. $100 million dollars is a lot of money to not have and they $93 million dollars in cuts, so the cuts that we're suffering could very well have been avoided perhaps if these freeloaders paid their fare. The NYPD and (MTA) MUST act to stop hardworking taxpayers from being further ripped off by these low lives who steal rides and deprive the system of the funds that it needs.

I hope the police use some discretion. I've noticed at least in Brooklyn it is common for some elderly people to first sit down near the driver, then fumble for their wallet and get up several minutes later to pay. They shouldn't be socked with fines.

You bring up a point that I'd forgotten about. Some of the elderly were doing the exact same thing back when we were classmates. You're right. They would always get up and pay after 2 or 3 stops.

You bring up a point that I'd forgotten about. Some of the elderly were doing the exact same thing back when we were classmates. You're right. They would always get up and pay after 2 or 3 stops.

Good to hear from you again. But there are the exceptions. A few months ago I saw an elderly gentleman crawl under the turnstile since he couldn't jump over. It took him 30 seconds to get up off the floor. If he needed help getting up, I would have let him sit there.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this one, while passing an M35 stop on the M60 today, noticed there were just throngs of fare inspectors outside the stop. Saw a bunch of MTA guys there with a couple cops, looks like they're finally cracking down on the M35 a little bit. About time, that line's been a disaster since the 80s.

This is what I do when someone ask to ride for free:

Passenger : hey can I get a ride ???????????

Me: Im not allowed to, all im gonna tell you is the fare is $2.25

and you make the decision to stay or get off ( at this point I look towards

the back of the bus and into the rearview to make it appear as if i have backup)

most of the time they not sure what to make of that so they jump off

Only about 3 weeks into the summer pick and farebeating on the Concourse has soared from my observation before I would get maybe no more than 5-6 people a trip asking for a ride now its easily become 12-15.

It's really up. Saw about 7 people 'get a ride' at Lex and 125 yesterday on the M60, and that's not even a line that has trouble with farebeating. If we do some simple calculations, that means the Bx15 has a...hold on...99% farebeating rate!

Archived