R-46 Fleet Life Extension program

DJ MC

NYCT is increasing the scope of Scheduled Maintenance System (SMS) for its 752 R46 cars, enabling the cars to remain in good condition for an additional four years due to delays in the delivery of the new R211 cars;

R46 Fleet Life Extension. 

Due to a delay in delivery of new cars to replace this nearly 40 year-old fleet, it is now necessary to extend the fleet’s useful life by the fleet undergoing a scheduled three-year maintenance cycle. 

To enable this, an additional 98 positions will be required in 2014, growing to 188 positions in 2016.

Incremental costs are projected at $11.7 million in 2014, $10.7 million in 2015 and $15.7 million in 2016.

158 positions for SMS – R46 Life Extension in 2015, 188 positions in 2016 

Post came from Subchat.

Good news to hear that the R46s will undergo their final round of SMS way before the R211s even start to replace them around say 2020 (?).

I would really like if all of them have those dark spotted hard floor panels. I only caught a few of them with those.

Interesting... wonder what they did in the SMS work back in 2009-2011, and what will be different about this program.

Repainted front ends, some motor/truck work, a lot of cars got black floors and the "R160 blue" (I think that's periwinkle) seats. On the Staten Island cars, every car got the black floor and blue seats

Guest Lance

I don't see how the two are connected. There are more than enough 46s around that sets can go in and out of service for SMS without having the 32s stick around as backups. Besides, there are also the spare 68s, 160s and the five-car sets of 179s.

This must be coincidental, but I happened to catch 2 R46 (F) trains today. i take the (F) everyday and haven't seen an R46 in months. I dont know why today was such a change. 

At Rockefeller Center yesterday afternoon it was R46 (F) followed by standard 160 (F) followed by another R46 (F) - of course this made me more sour than happy as I was waiting for the goddamn (M)

In general cars don't need replacement for SMS. Maybe a train or two of R46s from Jamaica when the Pitkin cars get SMSed, and a train or two of R46s from Pitkin, or R160s from Coney Island when the Jamaica cars go through SMS. There also could easily be no transfers at all. It depends on the spare factor, which IINM is rather high for R46s. 

The R46's are my second favorite equipment to work in the B-Div (behind the R143's which I'll probably never work again as a C/R). Now if they fix all the missing A/C knobs in the cabs, I'll be happy to see them around for another decade!

This must be coincidental, but I happened to catch 2 R46 (F) trains today. i take the (F) everyday and haven't seen an R46 in months. I dont know why today was such a change. 

They've been there all along. You'll be seeing a lot more of them starting in a week.

So the (R) will be using R160B's and the (F) will have more R46's.

Why would the R have more R160's? There are usually one or two on the line in any given day, at least there had been in the past. 

I just found the link you were referencing, the August 2013 car assignment sheet:

http://www.thejoekorner.com/carassignments/bmt-ind-2013-08-03.html

Interesting that the R160's are only going to be assigned to the R's Southern leg after the montague split. 

Why would the R have more R160's? There are usually one or two on the line in any given day, at least there had been in the past. 

I just found the link you were referencing, the August 2013 car assignment sheet:

Interesting that the R160's are only going to be assigned to the R's Southern leg after the montague split. 

I don't know if the cars are going to be formally transferred to Coney Island or they're going to remain Jamaica's responsibility, but in either case, Coney Island is equipped to maintain R160's, while they're not equipped to maintain R46's. So it makes sense.

They will probably be coming from CI Yard.

Archived