Lots of R46 F trains in Rotation

Culver Lcl

Anyone else notice there are a lot of old school R46 trains on the F line, even more than the usual newer R160A? Is this because the MTA is using the R160A are being used on the R line (a line that does not have a new fleet)? I'm not complaining, though. I like the R46. The less-harsh non-fluorescent lighting and forward-facing seats are great.  :)

The (R) and (F) swapped cars after the (R) got split between Manhattan and Brooklyn. Not all the cars are swapped, but the majority of them are. The reason is because they want as many R160's on the (R) as possible so an R46 (R) will not wind up on the South end of the (R) . (The South end can't have R46 since during the time the (R) is split on weekdays, CI maintains the fleet on the South side. (9218 made an appearance on the (Q) the other day, that's a Jamaica set). CI doesn't maintain R46). 

I'm pretty sure that if an R46 (R) were to wind up on the South side, it would simply be turned into a rush-hour put in for the (F) . What they seem to be doing on Sundays though is make the (R) 100% R160 so that can't happen.

Anyone else notice there are a lot of old school R46 trains on the F line, even more than the usual newer R160A? Is this because the MTA is using the R160A are being used on the R line (a line that does not have a new fleet)? I'm not complaining, though. I like the R46. The less-harsh non-fluorescent lighting and forward-facing seats are great.  :)

Yep - It's been discussed in one of these threads - but I can't remember which. As i understand it - it all stems back to the fact that they cant maintain R46's at Coney Island Complex - Which means during the split, the south half of the (R) is 100% R160's. The northern half was originally going to be all R46's - but because the line runs full legnth weekends, rather than worrying about which trains ended up where, the (R) is 100% R160 on Sundays. So - long story short, there are enough R160's assigned to the R line to make up it's full Sunday service, meaning weekdays the northern half is about 3/4 NTT trains. 

on weekends, the (R) is all R160s from what Ive seen. The (E) and (R) uses about 12-16 trains on weekends but the (F) is not that much like on the weekdays, the (F) on weekends is mostly 160s with a few 46s but weekdays its the opposite

on weekends, the (R) is all R160s from what Ive seen. The (E) and (R) uses about 12-16 trains on weekends but the (F) is not that much like on the weekdays, the (F) on weekends is mostly 160s with a few 46s but weekdays its the opposite

I assure you there are a few 46's on the (R) saturdays. 

I assure you there are a few 46's on the (R) saturdays.

yea theres 3 to 4 R46's on the (R) all 6 days but on sundays its all R160... Its a good swap because the (R) programs on the NTT are up to date, vivid, and concise.

Ah, I knew it wasn't my imagination. I live near the Coney Island Yard. I didn't know they couldn't service certain trains.

Aside: I'm assuming I can't change my profile pic until my restrictions as a new member are lifted? (It says profile disabled when I try).

Yep - It's been discussed in one of these threads - but I can't remember which. As i understand it - it all stems back to the fact that they cant maintain R46's at Coney Island Complex - Which means during the split, the south half of the (R) is 100% R160's. The northern half was originally going to be all R46's - but because the line runs full legnth weekends, rather than worrying about which trains ended up where, the (R) is 100% R160 on Sundays. So - long story short, there are enough R160's assigned to the R line to make up it's full Sunday service, meaning weekdays the northern half is about 3/4 NTT trains.

That took me by surprise because the R44s on the MTA SIR are usually sent to CI yard for heavy maintenance. So I guess it's the 207th Street shops that does the dirty work on the MTA Subways R46's, and Jamaica Yard that does usual inspections and light maintenance:

R44's @ CI shops:

35.jpg

01.jpg

That took me by surprise because the R44s on the MTA SIR are usually sent to CI yard for heavy maintenance. So I guess it's the 207th Street shops that does the dirty work on the MTA Subways R46's, and Jamaica Yard that does usual inspections and light maintenance:

R44's @ CI shops:

35.jpg

01.jpg

Whose pictures are these? These are nice pics.

R44's @ CI shops:

That's a valid point, actually. I'm merely repeating information I heard on this board about why the NTT's found their way to the (R)...

The way I see it there are two possibilities here: 

1) The maintenance is a non issue, and the real reason they insist on R160's for the southern portion of the split R is so that customers would have digital signage clearly stating that the train doesn't go into manhattan. The better announcements and signage would help avoid confusion. 

2) (and probably more likely) Just because the Coney Island Complex can overhaul literally anything doesn't mean they are equipped to maintain day-to-day a new car class. 

According to this page: http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Coney_Island_Complex

The maintenance and overhaul shops are separate. 

Overhaul & Repair Shop. The overhaul and repair shop is a 24/7 operation providing extensive repair and major overhaul services for the entire subway and Staten Island Rapid Transit fleet. It is comprised of three separate buildings, the Main Overhaul Shop (360,000 square feet), the Electric Motor Repair Shop (37,500 square feet), and the Pneumatic Shop (30,000 square feet). This area is responsible for all repairs (electrical, mechanical, and structural) necessary to restore a car to a safe and reliable condition for passenger service. 

Maintenance/Inspection Shop. Handles day to day maintenance and inspection for trains in daily service on the B, D, F, M, N, Q, and Franklin Shuttle lines.

That would leave the CIY Maintenence and Inspection shop equipped for the day to day on R68 and R160 equipment. I think the page is out of date: I know the G is shopped there now and I think the F is shopped at Jamaica, but even still, though a few R46 have always run on the F, those cars were basically borrowed from the R anyway, so even if they were maintaining F trains there, the 46's would still get shopped in Jamaica. 

Anyway - all merely educated speculation. 

That's a valid point, actually. I'm merely repeating information I heard on this board about why the NTT's found their way to the (R)...

The way I see it there are two possibilities here: 

1) The maintenance is a non issue, and the real reason they insist on R160's for the southern portion of the split R is so that customers would have digital signage clearly stating that the train doesn't go into manhattan. The better announcements and signage would help avoid confusion. 

2) (and probably more likely) Just because the Coney Island Complex can overhaul literally anything doesn't mean they are equipped to maintain day-to-day a new car class. 

According to this page: http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Coney_Island_Complex

The maintenance and overhaul shops are separate. 

That would leave the CIY Maintenence and Inspection shop equipped for the day to day on R68 and R160 equipment. I think the page is out of date: I know the G is shopped there now and I think the F is shopped at Jamaica, but even still, though a few R46 have always run on the F, those cars were basically borrowed from the R anyway, so even if they were maintaining F trains there, the 46's would still get shopped in Jamaica. 

Anyway - all merely educated speculation.

Exactly that's my reasoning.

Jamaica Yard for example has carwash, they take care of axle greasing and inspections, but they don't perform major repair work. Only two B division yards has shops to my knowledge that has the apparatus to do serious work on the fleets. As far as CI shops, unsure but maybe it has to do with the fact that it's mere designation, as they could have a backlog as it is with ticket orders (is that how it works?) for R160s in need of general SMS. Prolly why the decision was made with the Jamaica Yard swap with R160's to CI yard. But your educated guess is only as good as mine. Wished I got the insider info to confirm what the correct reason is and only the MTA personel will know.

* Oh and yes, on the swap it's true that R46's cannot display "COURT STREET" as a designation. Good point.

Yep I took a R46 (F) coming to and from forest hills last week & I only saw 4 R160s on the (F) that day . But that doesn't mean there was only 4 so foamers , Chill ! Lol. But honestly their always on the (F) so idk why you guys are acting like you saw them on the (E). Now anyone that sees a 46 (E) hit me up lol jk

Yep I took a R46 (F) coming to and from forest hills last week & I only saw 4 R160s on the (F) that day . But that doesn't mean there was only 4 so foamers , Chill ! Lol. But honestly their always on the (F) so idk why you guys are acting like you saw them on the (E). Now anyone that sees a 46 (E) hit me up lol jk

I'm more into the 160 (R)... 46s been on the (F) for a long time now.

I'm more into the 160 (R)... 46s been on the (F) for a long time now.

Lol yasss those 160s look nice on the (R) & I hope it stays that way because I hate the R46s on that line. And the 46s might as well stay on the (F) since they keep ending up there anyway. the (F) riders don't seem to complai about it. Wish the (E) riders were like that.

Archived