•  

• You are viewing the forums as a guest. Register to gain access to all of our features.

Photo
    - - - - -
    News

2016 Best & Worst Subway Lines...

• Please log in to reply
    72 replies to this topic

#1 JubaionBx12+SBS

JubaionBx12+SBS
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,553 posts
    • LocationBronx

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:09 PM

forum - R32 7 Train.JPG
    Another year has come and gone, and with the end of 2016
    comes Straphangers’ State of the Subway report card. Predictably,

there’s a fair bit of bad news in the report, but there’s also some surprisingly

good news—namely, that there was a three-way tie for the best subway line of 2016.

Yep, you read that right: three subways had good enough service this year to rise to

the top of the heap.

Those lines were the 7, the 1 and the L, though, as we all know, that's soon to change.

Read more: Source

Edited by +Young+, 01 January 2017 - 11:17 PM.
    Modified for home page...

Formerly JW72093

Posted Image

#2 BayParkwayW

BayParkwayW
    • Pip
    • 60 posts
    • LocationNew York

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:25 PM

Not surprising, considering how many times I've waited 10-20 minutes for an (A) on a weekend, and how many © 's and (E) 's passed by.
    J & Z = Peanut Butter & Jelly

#3 peacemak3r

peacemak3r
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 2,690 posts
    • LocationLittle Neck, NY

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:25 PM

(Q) is the dirtiest, not surprised with the amount of people that eat them peanuts and seeds and spit the shells onto the floor.

#4 Mtatransit

Mtatransit
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPip
    • 552 posts
    • LocationThe lone line

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:33 AM

Lol Dirtest subway car. I bet they didn't know that the (Q) cars could end up as a (N). Regarding announcement, I think any normal commuter riding a line knows that their train either doesn't have automated announcement and therefore perform poorly on the survey or do. The important part of the surveys are the Headway/ headway regularity.

#5 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 26,411 posts
    • LocationRiverdale, NY & New York, NY

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:57 AM

Not surprising, considering how many times I've waited 10-20 minutes for an (A) on a weekend, and how many © 's and (E) 's passed by.

20 minutes for an (A) train??? You must be exaggerating... *Sarcasm* <_< It's funny how many people are reporting such long waits for various subway lines, and yet there are people here that INSIST that it simply can't be.  It just goes to show how pathetic subway service continues to be, and even the (MTA) 's own figures show it, as on-time performance worsens each year.

(Q) is the dirtiest, not surprised with the amount of people that eat them peanuts and seeds and spit the shells onto the floor.

Yeah I would have to agree that the (Q) is quite dirty considering that it runs mainly new trains.  Another thing I have noticed is that there are more homeless people on the (Q) than I have ever recall seeing.  That could be contributing to the problem.  Considering how infrequent I use the line to go to Brooklyn it's amazing.  I'm not sure if it's the timing or what.  Two Saturdays ago was the first time in a while that I got a (Q) train without seeing a homeless person it.

---

I'll also comment on the (5) train.  I think it's by far the WORST train in the system, especially if you need to go to the Bronx.  Any little thing will make the train make ALL local stops in the Bronx during rush hour, and having it run via 7th Avenue is a common occurrence as well.  Aside from that it is almost non-existent on weekends.  I really don't understand what in the hell the (MTA) is doing that they knock out service almost every weekend.  If I lived in the Northeast Bronx and relied on subway service I would be fuming.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8, 01 January 2017 - 12:02 PM.

BxM2-RIVERDALE_zpsa98b6afb.gif

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN - BUY "MADE IN USA" PRODUCTS

#6 B35 via Church

B35 via Church
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 12,506 posts
    • LocationEast Flatbush, Brooklyn, NY

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:17 PM

The (A) has gotten much worse in the course of the past handful of years or so.... I remember times waiting for the © or (E) after work (when I was over in the village) over at Spring (due uptown), and you'd see a crap ton of (A)'s whizzing by on the express.... Now it's like, when I'm at 34th, you see a bunch of C's & E's before an A arrives (downtown direction, I'm speaking of here).... The E always came like wildfire, but it's the C I'm surprised with....

I was never high on the (5) to begin with - even before the onset of the whole guessing game of **ooh, ooh - which 5's are going to Flatbush, and which 5's are going to Utica** (although that was the straw that broke the camel's back for me, being closer to the Nostrand av line).... On the Bronx end, the folks around the Dyre line deserve much better....

As far as the (Q)'s filthiness, I don't really see it..... At worst, I guess I'll say that Q's are less cleanly than they used to be (bear in mind that the Q used to be one of the cleaner lines in the system).... Not for nothing, but on the topic of clean subway cars, I do find them in general these days much cleaner.... I don't find myself trying to sidestep newspapers, rolling breakfast/lunch/dinner from one end of the car to the other, or rolling cans/bottles..... The main thing in my experience that's still a bit of a nuisance is the dried up soda/beer (although the beer is far worse a problem on the LIRR, but that's another topic) sticking to my shoes.....

Full bus routes driven (as of 2/26/17): Q35 (Queens bound), Q60 (Queens bound), B17 (Seaview branch, Canarsie bound), B63 (Bklyn. Bridge Park bound), B25 (Alabama av bound), B12 (Ocean av bound), B43 (Greenpoint bound), B24 (Williamsburg bound), Q43 (Jamaica bound)

OLD Full bus routes driven (as of 2/26/17): M5 (Washington Hgts. bound, from S. Ferry)

Next Sunday drive:  3/19/17 (not leaving the house this sunday; 3/12 - and not because of the cold either)

#7 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 26,411 posts
    • LocationRiverdale, NY & New York, NY

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

The (A) has gotten much worse in the course of the past handful of years or so.... I remember times waiting for the © or (E) after work (when I was over in the village) over at Spring (due uptown), and you'd see a crap ton of (A)'s whizzing by on the express.... Now it's like, when I'm at 34th, you see a bunch of C's & E's before an A arrives (downtown direction, I'm speaking of here).... The E always came like wildfire, but it's the C I'm surprised with....

I was never high on the (5) to begin with - even before the onset of the whole guessing game of **ooh, ooh - which 5's are going to Flatbush, and which 5's are going to Utica** (although that was the straw that broke the camel's back for me, being closer to the Nostrand av line).... On the Bronx end, the folks around the Dyre line deserve much better....

As far as the (Q)'s filthiness, I don't really see it..... At worst, I guess I'll say that Q's are less cleanly than they used to be (bear in mind that the Q used to be one of the cleaner lines in the system).... Not for nothing, but on the topic of clean subway cars, I do find them in general these days much cleaner.... I don't find myself trying to sidestep newspapers, rolling breakfast/lunch/dinner from one end of the car to the other, or rolling cans/bottles..... The main thing in my experience that's still a bit of a nuisance is the dried up soda/beer (although the beer is far worse a problem on the LIRR, but that's another topic) sticking to my shoes.....

I just want to see what will happen with the (Q) now that it will run to 96th street (Upper East Side)... My boss lives on the Upper East Side and never uses the subway, but she does use the local buses to get to and from the office and drives elsewhere.  On occasion she will comment about how dirty such and such bus was.  I always laugh to myself and think if she actually stepped down to the subway, she'd really be in for a treat. :lol:  

BxM2-RIVERDALE_zpsa98b6afb.gif

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN - BUY "MADE IN USA" PRODUCTS

#8 bstar1

bstar1
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPip
    • 735 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:43 PM

(Q) via 2 Av seems like a good alternative and pretty fast after 57 St Downtown and makes it easier to access rather than getting to Lex Av Line (4)(5)(6). Riders could get to Times Sq and 34 St area along Westside and not take 42 St Shuttle.

#9 IAlam

IAlam
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,138 posts
    • LocationOnline

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:32 PM

Speaking of the (Q) being the dirtiest the First train to SAS had a lot of litter in the first car, 2 bums in the second, halal food spilled all over the 3rd, and tissues all over the 4th. It was a mess.

9%20train_zpsnhsd6egb.gif

If you Play CIM 2 download my map http://steamcommunit...s/?id=706618820

#10 Shondrae

Shondrae
    • Transit Worker
    • PipPip
    • 648 posts
    • LocationNYC

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:48 PM

---

I'll also comment on the (5) train.  I think it's by far the WORST train in the system, especially if you need to go to the Bronx.  Any little thing will make the train make ALL local stops in the Bronx during rush hour, and having it run via 7th Avenue is a common occurrence as well.  Aside from that it is almost non-existent on weekends.  I really don't understand what in the hell the (MTA) is doing that they knock out service almost every weekend.  If I lived in the Northeast Bronx and relied on subway service I would be fuming.  

Damn! I Thought you would have known the answer to that! LoL

But to Answer Your question! North of 180 on the Dyre Line they are replacing the whole signal system. At the moment it still runs with the old IRT set up. They are Installed new signal and wiring so that part of the line can be ran like the rest of the system. Thats the only part of the system that RCC doesn't have and control over. Unionport Tower controls everything north of 180!

Also Being that the 5 seems to be my regular run these days, It aint nothing But a Help Line. Helps the (4) and (2). And since The (2) and (5) are the only 2 lines that can switch over via west or east and come back to its normal route, what ever happens on side (east or west) they will send that 2 train east and the 5 west! it happens EVERYDAY!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: news