2016 Bus Ridership Stats

Via Garibaldi 8

The weekday numbers out in Queens held nicely but i'm highly disappointed with the weekend numbers. You have routes like the Q27 and Q46 pull more average weekday riders then Saturday + Sunday riders. I get the sense that in most of Queens people will use transit to commute to work but on weekends will pull the car out if they go anywhere. We need to do some work as far as encouraging transit use during off-hours in Queens. 

The main problem is that unless you are heading to Jamaica or Flushing, the car beats the bus every single time even with traffic. Travel patterns in Queens tend to be more diffuse, which is why the bus network serves it more poorly. (This might not be the case west of the Van Wyck, but is certainly true east of it.)

The other part of it is that a fair amount of people in Queens will do stuff in Nassau (Green Acres Mall, Roosevelt Field, etc.) but NICE is set up to fail, so the bus isn't even a valid option.

You meant the Bx19....

Anyway, both carry heavy, but there's been a spike in bus usage along (commercial) Grand av I have no explanation for.... Have it not be for the Q59, the Q58 would garner around 31-32k pax daily.... I'd venture to say that a lot of those "losses" on the Bx19 are farebeaters though/also.... I still think the Bx19 carries more than the Q58 singularly....

Let there be a Bx19 SBS (lol) & that number will drop down to 25k in the next 3 years......

I meant the top 10 in the Bronx. Not overall in the city

I meant the top 10 in the Bronx. Not overall in the city

There's no way I could've known that....

Anyway, if you ask me, it all goes back to a simple theory of mine with the Bx39..... North Bronx riders aren't trying to get to areas along White Plains road south of Gun Hill like that.... There's no real room for growth on that line....

As for the Bx35 taking its place, *shrugs*.... That route is more popular than the Bx39, always was - and it doesn't have to span HALF, let alone the entire northerly-southerly distance within the borough the Bx39 does....

A few Brooklyn notes: The B1 which I designed is now number 25 in the city and number 7 in Brooklyn. The B34 which it largely replaced was a mediocre route while the nearly original B1 and B21 ranked near the bottom.

Compare that with the new B32 and B84 which still rank near the bottom. Even the newly extended B67 is losing riders.

And the B44 SBS and local while gaining ridership still has fewer riders than when it was a local while costing much more to operate. The B46 recently converted to SBS is also losing riders probably due to fare evasion. So you can be assured there will be no first year progress report. They will beef up fare enforcement so they can show a ridership increase for the second year just as they did with the B44.

I wonder what made the Q32 drop out of the top 10 in Queens? Maybe the (7) extension to Hudson Yards?

People are getting frustrated with the Q32 getting stuck in traffic as it approaches the Queensboro Bridge AND in Manhattan.

I wonder what made the Q32 drop out of the top 10 in Queens? Maybe the (7) extension to Hudson Yards?

Nah, Hudson Yards is too far west compared to anything on the Q32 route (if somebody were using the Q32 to get to Penn Station, Times Square is a similar distance as Hudson Yards anyway).

I think it would just be the same reason as other routes in Manhattan (and citywide): Traffic & delays.

To me, the usage in/out of Manhattan seems similar..... Intra-Queens ridership looks to be decreasing on that route (along the Roosevelt portion specifically).... As to why, I haven't really thought about it.

Are there any short turns for the Q32 now? If I could remember in years past that they had a short turn at 61st and Woodside or on 48th and Queens Boulevard (I could be wrong). But the Q32 traffic woes really begin in Jackson Hgts/Corona into Long Island City.

But does the Q32 warrant some type of limited service since they follow a major subway line (7) to alleviate some of the traffic plaguing Queens Boulevard and Rooselvelt Avenue.

To me, the usage in/out of Manhattan seems similar..... Intra-Queens ridership looks to be decreasing on that route (along the Roosevelt portion specifically).... As to why, I haven't really thought about it.

I don't know about that.  Can't talk about the Queens part since I don't use it for that, but for trips in Manhattan, I've been on quite a few Q32 buses where I was the only person. I would get on near 59th street and not a single person would board during the time I was on it.  It was like taking a cab. Driver even asked what stop I was getting off. lol

my question is how much local bus ridership is being missed by swipe beaters { back door sneakers}?

Enough that they should increase patrols to nab these people.  I'm willing to bet that if they focused on Staten Island and most of the Bronx that they would get a pretty good idea.

I don't know about that.  Can't talk about the Queens part since I don't use it for that, but for trips in Manhattan, I've been on quite a few Q32 buses where I was the only person. I would get on near 59th street and not a single person would board during the time I was on it.  It was like taking a cab. Driver even asked what stop I was getting off. lol

Perhaps that's the case on Penn Station-bound buses, but Queens-bound buses typically have decent loads (although some have relatively few people onboard). 

Perhaps that's the case on Penn Station-bound buses, but Queens-bound buses typically have decent loads (although some have relatively few people onboard). 

Yes I'm aware of that.  I think it's a question of ridership patterns where people are willing to take the Q32 home to Queens but perhaps take the subway in.  On weekends, I think ridership has taken a considerable hit.

The 32 has severe bunching issues after QBoro Br (due to traffic). Usually the first bus will be filled and the bus(es) behind it are empty. It has decent loads off peak hours and it fills up rush hours (aleast towards Queens). Lots of elders and Queens Blvd Riders on the route, and at 74 St heading to Northern). Ridership is dropping probably because of its unreliability and its slowness (7 train takes 20 min 82 St- QBoro) while Q32 takes one hour, and it's bunching issue during rush hour (30 min no bus follow by 2 buses in a row)

Sounds like you're referring to intra-Manhattan usage on a Penn Station bound bus.... That's not uncommon to see after the majority of Queens pax done got off before the turn onto 5th.... That wasn't what I was talking about....

I'm referring to inter-borough usage when I said in/out of Manhattan....

The 32 has severe bunching issues after QBoro Br (due to traffic). Usually the first bus will be filled and the bus(es) behind it are empty. It has decent loads off peak hours and it fills up rush hours (aleast towards Queens). Lots of elders and Queens Blvd Riders on the route, and at 74 St heading to Northern). Ridership is dropping probably because of its unreliability and its slowness (7 train takes 20 min 82 St- QBoro) while Q32 takes one hour, and it's bunching issue during rush hour (30 min no bus follow by 2 buses in a row)

Basically, this.....

Most of the Q32 ridership that I see in Manhattan if from Penn Station, tho on weekends I notice the buses can get a decent (but no standees) load while going over the bridge, usually better than weekdays. 

I'm surprised my beloved bus of choice, the QM25 only has 320 average weekday riders.  It seems like the first three buses in the morning are packed compared to the midtown variants that I take around the same time that I always get a double seat to myself on.  

That being said, I'm glad to see the increase in ridership on the QM25, but overall this was the only real increase in riders to the downtown QM routes (QM7,8,11,25) which makes me think that there won't be an expansion in downtown service any time soon.  It's going to be hard giving up the one seat ride from Middle Village when I move to Whitestone soon.  These stats even further crush my hopes of the possibility of Whitestone-Downtown express bus service.

I'm surprised my beloved bus of choice, the QM25 only has 320 average weekday riders.  It seems like the first three buses in the morning are packed compared to the midtown variants that I take around the same time that I always get a double seat to myself on.  

That being said, I'm glad to see the increase in ridership on the QM25, but overall this was the only real increase in riders to the downtown QM routes (QM7,8,11,25) which makes me think that there won't be an expansion in downtown service any time soon.  It's going to be hard giving up the one seat ride from Middle Village when I move to Whitestone soon.  These stats even further crush my hopes of the possibility of Whitestone-Downtown express bus service.

If I were you, I would just drive to Union Turnpike and get the QM7 or QM8.  Pick a stop where you can get the Super Express and you're set.  On weekends, you have the QM2 to the city should you want to go.  

Honestly I don't understand the the downtown QM routes have any decrease ridership. These routes are the only one in queens where it's faster to take the express bus compared to the subway and bus. While the return trips might be lengthy, the AM trip (a.k.a. the more important trip) is almost always faster than the subway. You really don't get than in many other places in the city. 

Honestly I don't understand the the downtown QM routes have any decrease ridership. These routes are the only one in queens where it's faster to take the express bus compared to the subway and bus. While the return trips might be lengthy, the AM trip (a.k.a. the more important trip) is almost always faster than the subway. You really don't get than in many other places in the city. 

Perhaps people stopped working in Downtown Manhattan and/or moved out of NYC? It could be a possibility. 

Perhaps people stopped working in Downtown Manhattan and/or moved out of NYC? It could be a possibility.

Probably the trip started to get too expensive, that people decided that a monthly is a better investment? Every fare increase the Express always get a higher increase.

The top 10 for annual ridership...

10. Bx36

9. Q58

8. M14

7. B35

6. Bx1/2

5. B44

4. B6

3. B46

2. M15

1. Bx12

For the first time since i've been looking at these numbers a Queens route joins the top 10 so welcome to the club, Q58. The Bx19 was this year's dropout.

Other observations

- Nearly all Bronx routes took losses. I'm highly concerned about this given the Bronx routes held nicely up until 2015.

- Queens routes overall held nicely in 2016. Something must be going on in Queens to where riders are not shunning the buses like they are starting to do in the Bronx and have been doing for a while in Manhattan and Brooklyn.

- The declines in ridership are happening most among high ridership routes (like the ones in our top 10, 8 of the 10 saw a decline in 2016). The same is the case in other U.S. cities where only 1 route in Chicago with >10,000 weekday riders avoided decline and most of Metro LA's busiest bus services continue to see losses as well.

- We need to really be discussing why major corridors nationwide are the ones seeing the biggest losses (in terms of percentage, not just number) when those corridors benefit from frequent service, which would offset to a degree reliability issues.

- I'll come back with more when specific routes get mentioned.

Predicting next year the M15 will probably drop out of the top 10 and the B46 will rise to second place. I honestly don't see how the B46 isn't the busiest route.

Predicting next year the M15 will probably drop out of the top 10 and the B46 will rise to second place. I honestly don't see how the B46 isn't the busiest route.

I hope you don't have any money on that prediction.  :lol:

The kind of decline the M15 would need to fall out of the top 10 entirely is unfathomable. 

I hope you don't have any money on that prediction.  :lol:

The kind of decline the M15 would need to fall out of the top 10 entirely is unfathomable. 

Yeah, the little stub of the SAS isn't going to do much to cause a decline on the M15 since the (Q) doesn't serve East Midtown. Also, any losses on that segment would likely be balanced out by people in East Harlem taking it down to 96th Street to catch the (Q).

Archived