Upstairs/Downstairs - BMT Chambers Street

Fred G

I went back to BMT Chambers Street to see the ceiling again. This is another Guastavino design, same G of IRT City Hall and Oyster Bar fame, among others. I love this station.

05+Chambers+Street+from+the+outside.jpg

12+Chambers+Street+upstairs+02.jpg

15+Chambers+Street+upstairs+05.jpg

19+Chambers+Street+upstairs+09.jpg

20+Chambers+Street+upstairs+10.jpg

25+Chambers+Street+upstairs+15.jpg

Then of course, there's the downstairs...

30+Pair+of+R160+J+trains+2.jpg

33+Chambers+Street+station+03.jpg

37+R160+J+train+arriving+at+Chambers.jpg

38+R160+J+train+at+Chambers+3.jpg

39+R160+J+train+at+Chambers+4.jpg

Album here

Thanks for looking. I'll make more.:P

your pal,

Fred

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

Very Nice pics Fred!

I wonder why they use a "V" instead of a "U" for Subway, besides it looking like a U.

Ever wonder why the letter W is a double V instead of U? It's the same reason here. In the olden days U was V.

The R160s in Chambers Street looks like a rich white girl walking through the projects, just waiting to get mugged. LOL Fred man these are some awesome shots.

Heh...if mugged is all she gets, she should consider herself lucky. :eek:

Nice stuff Fred, love the contrast of "the new and the old" now you just gotta catch a Hi-V in the new South Ferry terminal to do the opposite ;)

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

Ever wonder why the letter W is a double V instead of U? It's the same reason here. In the olden days U was V.

That's correct. In Latin, there was no w, to the v made the "W" sound. And Vs were written like Us.

The R160s in Chambers Street looks like a rich white girl walking through the projects, just waiting to get mugged. LOL Fred man these are some awesome shots.

That's got to be the most funniest thing I've ever heard. The R160s along Nassau and Jamaica are field days for vandals.

It's a shame that the MTA is letting Chambers Street rot away....;)

Excellent work Fred!

I gotta tell you, I actually like that station, because the high ceilings and all the dirty walls make that station unique! One thing it's missing is more SMEE equipment. The R160 does not belong there, like Nicholas said!

The thing is, the other staions along Nassau street are my favorites. Essex street, Canal street, Broad street, and Fulton street are very nice stations with beautiful Mosaics. Chambers street still has very nice mosaics in some areas but are covered up in most areas with that ugly, 50's/60's refrigerator tile.

It really hurts to see how the (MTA) let the station deteriorate like that. Back in the mid to late '60s that was a major station on the BMT. You had Williamsburgh and Manhattan bridge services as well as Montague St tunnel trains passing through there. Now it looks as terrible as the Bowery station looked back then. It looks like another casualty of deferred maintenance or postponed rehabilitation . What a shame. BTW the pix are top notch. Thanks...

The MTA can spend millions on building a new Fulton St. station but can't rebuild Chambers street. They suck big time. A brick is going to fall from the ceiling of Chambers street station and hit someone on the head because that place is so rotten and decrepid that it will cost them more money to settle the law suit than it will to repair the station.

Archived