Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

I had my name restored to the list and never got called to go down for anything. I've been on the phone with someone at personnel who handles that and she told me the list was extended until July or August. Take that for what's it worth.

When did you go to Centre Street to get your name restored to the list? Did you receive a letter in the mail a few weeks after saying your name was restored to the list? I remember early last year I applied to have my name restored to the Track Worker list and they called me to report for final processing within 2 months. I've been working for NYC Transit for 1-1/2 years now. You should probably follow-up with Centre Street to see what happened. If you're not assertive with Transit, they'll let you slip through the cracks. I'm praying for you, buddy!

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When did you go to Centre Street to get your name restored to the list? Did you receive a letter in the mail a few weeks after saying your name was restored to the list? I remember early last year I applied to have my name restored to the Track Worker list and they called me to report for final processing within 2 months. I've been working for NYC Transit for 1-1/2 years now. You should probably follow-up with Centre Street to see what happened. If you're not assertive with Transit, they'll let you slip through the cracks. I'm praying for you, buddy!

I had my name restored at the end of June, so by the time Transit was actually notified figure it was July. The woman I've been dealing with keeps telling me "I'll check with certification and call you tomorrow" - still waiting for an answer, and yes I got a notice from DCAS saying my name was restored, I faxed that over to personnel last week.

Getting kind of frustrating. My list number is in the 2000's and people well beyond me have been hired since then...

I had my name restored at the end of June, so by the time Transit was actually notified figure it was July. The woman I've been dealing with keeps telling me "I'll check with certification and call you tomorrow" - still waiting for an answer, and yes I got a notice from DCAS saying my name was restored, I faxed that over to personnel last week.

Getting kind of frustrating. My list number is in the 2000's and people well beyond me have been hired since then...

I can only imagine. Personally, I would go down to Centre Street and speak to the individual at the window or someone in charge regarding what happened. They might be able to help rather than waiting for the woman who says she will check with certification tomorrow. Also, from what I remember, when you apply to restore your name to the list they gave a paper that I think gave contact information in the event there was a problem with restoration.

I had my name restored to the list and never got called to go down for anything. I've been on the phone with someone at personnel who handles that and she told me the list was extended until July or August. Take that for what's it worth.

That would be great if it was extended, my list number is about 2,600 from the last person appointed on the list recently. Hopefully I would get the call by then. Anyone else could confirm the extension. Most people getting called now are in the low 90's scores. 

@Egyptianeyes,

I'm impressed. You are very thorough.

My question is similar, but I feel the answer is "it all depends" or "it's up to Transit."

I'm taking the exam in April and I wonder how long it will take to establish the new list and start hiring from it.

If they really need a steady supply of new conductors I assume they'll keep hiring from this list until they establish the new list, which can take over a year from when a test is administered. That would be great news for the people who are still waiting, with scores in the low 90s and high 80s. Many of those people would be called.

If they're in a rush to start hiring from the new list I suppose they could establish a list within a few months, but traditionally they've taken much longer than that.

@Egyptianeyes,

I'm impressed. You are very thorough.

My question is similar, but I feel the answer is "it all depends" or "it's up to Transit."

I'm taking the exam in April and I wonder how long it will take to establish the new list and start hiring from it.

If they really need a steady supply of new conductors I assume they'll keep hiring from this list until they establish the new list, which can take over a year from when a test is administered. That would be great news for the people who are still waiting, with scores in the low 90s and high 80s. Many of those people would be called.

If they're in a rush to start hiring from the new list I suppose they could establish a list within a few months, but traditionally they've taken much longer than that.

That was what I was thinking, 

@MTAhopefullmatt thanks for the reply. Im taking the exam in April too. That's why I've been reading the forums. I just took the station agent exam Nov 22, also. Trust me reading the forums will give you almost if not all the information you need. Plus its could also be very entertaining with all the petty disagreements, my favorite part when a person finally get called for school car reading all their excitement. After you just read all their anxiousness and fears in wondering if they will be disqualified for any reason. ???????? Well not for nothing traditionally no one in the 80's score range ever get called back but time will tell, because from what I read no one from the past exams even in the 4000 were called back. And as you can see with this exam they are. They extended this exam once that's why they are going so high up in list numbers. As bad as it may sound I hope they won't extend it again. So the ppl like yourself and I who will be taking April exam won't have to wait that long.

@Egypt, your training period is no joke, it's like a marathon. Getting through probation in any title is an accomplishment because it's easy to get fired for just about any reason during that first year.

I don't know why it typically takes so long to establish a list, but with multiple choice exams it shouldn't take long. I know they have to release the scores and make decisions when test takers object to the answer provided for particular questions, so that would add at least 3 months.

They reserved the right to test applicant's speaking ability, but that could be accomplished at 180 Livingston when people are brought in for medical testing, or down the street at HQ on the same day - sort of see if people have adequate diction at the same time they're testing your BP, vision and hearing.

I'm thinking if they're motivated they could reasonably start hiring from the new list by Labor Day 2016.

Mtahopefullmatt dont waste your money on them books. I heard they dont help at all. Just pace yourself, check your answers and don't get caught by one of those trick question trust me there's a few of them on the test. When I took the station agent exam last month I almost got caught by two of them. Thank God I was on point. Also be aware of how long you take on each question because I had to rush the map part because I took a lot of time on the reading comprehension due to be wanting to make sure I dont get anything wrong. The time fly's and I finished with just 5mins left. Yes the test is easy but have a good amount of trick questions that will have u upset if you get it wrong.

@egypt, yes.

I'm buying the test prep book people like on Amazon.

Mtahopefullmatt dont waste your money on them books. I heard they dont help at all

If you're referring to those green Passbooks, I actually obtained a copy out of Queens Library to save some $$. And, after going through the entire booklet, I agree 100% that it is a waste of money. Although, what I sometimes do when I have possession of the book is I'll pick out the reading comprehension questions and practice those questions only.

I will also admit that lately I've been using other reading comprehension books to prepare for some other civil service examinations thru DCAS. And I personally feel that the other books are more useful since they explain the reasoning behind the multiple choice reading comprehension questions, compared to the green passbook just simply telling you the answer. (I also got a 87.5% on the Bus Operator 2613 exam, a 93.33% on the Bus Operator 4600 exam, and a 95% on the Track Worker exam, so I must be doing something right.)

Also, if you folks are talking about the upcoming Conductor exam, can you please talk about it in this thread?

Thanks.

@78, my understanding is that the LIRR and Metro North don't offer open competitive exams. That those entry level jobs with them are resume positions. Someone else correct me if I'm wrong.

Keep an eye out for the next bus driver exam, but it may be a while because they've offered so many over the past 3 years.

Mtahopefullmatt dont waste your money on them books. I heard they dont help at all. Just pace yourself, check your answers and don't get caught by one of those trick question trust me there's a few of them on the test. When I took the station agent exam last month I almost got caught by two of them. Thank God I was on point. Also be aware of how long you take on each question because I had to rush the map part because I took a lot of time on the reading comprehension due to be wanting to make sure I dont get anything wrong. The time fly's and I finished with just 5mins left. Yes the test is easy but have a good amount of trick questions that will have u upset if you get it wrong.

This is phenomenal advice. When I took the Conductor test, I went entirely unprepared. I didn't know anything about this forum. I barely even got enough sleep the night before because after work I went straight home to play Gears Of War 2 LMAO. I wake up and almost forget to even take the test then procrastinate whether I should even go waste my time because I felt I didn't know a dam thing about trains or being a Conductor so how well would I do. All I knew about the Subway was how to read a subway map and how to get to school or work THAT'S IT. If you asked me how to get to Yankee stadium I'd be clueless and have to look at a map. All I knew was the 1-9 (9 doesn't exist anymore) and the A-C-D trains and veeery limited too because once I got to my stop I had no clue where the trains would go. Anyhow, I figured "hey I paid for this" so I go in to take the test and managed to score decently using the advice above. I understand they have added a new section to the exam, something about a voice examination. Unless they've made the test more difficult this should be a cakewalk for a large percentage of people.

to save some $$. And, after going through the entire booklet, I agree 100% that it is a waste of money. Although, what I sometimes do when I have possession of the book is I'll pick out the reading comprehension questions and practice those questions only.

I will also admit that lately I've been using other reading comprehension books to prepare for some other civil service examinations thru DCAS. And I personally feel that the other books are more useful since they explain the reasoning behind the multiple choice reading comprehension questions, compared to the green passbook just simply telling you the answer. (I also got a 87.5% on the Bus Operator 2613 exam, a 93.33% on the Bus Operator 4600 exam, and a 95% on the Track Worker exam, so I must be doing something right.)

Also, if you folks are talking about the upcoming Conductor exam, can you please talk about it in this thread?

Thanks.

Probably those books help for other examinations. It can't hurt to take a look if you find them cheap enough or even at the library. I do think an OC test for track worker cant assume you know anything about working on actual rails, unless of course the NOE lists any actual experience or other sort of knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...

It's too bad the mta isn't accepting anymore reinstatements for this exam.

Where did you get your information from? I spoke to a Michelle Vargas (she's the one in charge over there apparently) at the employment center last week and was told I had to go back to Centre St to have my name restored to the list even though I was never called the last time, and I went to DCAS yesterday and filled out the form for reinstatement.

I was also told the list was extended by 6 months to August.

When I put in my request to be reinstated to the list in November my request was denied by the MTA. The lady that I spoke to over the phone about this matter told me it was most likely because the list was set to expire in February.

When I put in my request to be reinstated to the list in November my request was denied by the MTA. The lady that I spoke to over the phone about this matter told me it was most likely because the list was set to expire in February.

I just spoke to Michelle Vargas at the employment center right after replying to your post, and she told me they're absolutely accepting reinstatements and that the list was extended to August. Are you sure you weren't out of reinstatements? They give you 3, I'm on my last one.

No that was my first reinstatement attempt. I guess it had to do with the fact that I decided to accept the bus operator position off of this exam.

That's probably much more likely. They called me for bus operator off this exam as well and I declined but stayed on the list for Conductor. I guess I'll find out for sure in a week or so, but I was told by the employment center that they're definitely accepting reinstatements.

Archived