I hope you don't get tired during rush hour because...

INDman

And how can you move to the middle or ends when the train is crowded? And what if the train doesn't empty out? Trains do not empty out at every stop, and all the time.

The same way you get off at your stop on a packed train. You say excuse me...this is the same thing as a normal train but with 2-4 more rows of people standing.

Golly gee, lets pack more people into the cattle cars dur rush hours instead of you know, running more trains.

Yup 'cause we all know that they haven't tried this already on the (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(A)(E)(F)(L)(N)(R)(V) during rush hour and found that it wasn't possible.

The 'overcrowded (E) train during rush hour' perspective is not a very broad perspective. Even if one brings it up a level, to the 'NYC buses and trains during rush hour' perspective, the perspective remains relatively narrow.

???

How is the 'NYC Subways and Buses' perspective narrow if the entire system in general is being questioned and could benefit from this?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup 'cause we all know that they haven't tried this already on the (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(A)(E)(F)(L)(N)(R)(V) during rush hour and found that it wasn't possible.

Now that CBTC is being implemented on Queens Blvd. and possibly other lines in the future, the (MTA) will eventually be able to run more trains. 2-4 extra trains during rush hours might not seem significant, but it could potentially make a noticeable difference.

Look, I love to sit down when I'm on the train. I love seats so much, I'd rather sit than stand at a RFW. Comfort means a lot to me when I ride the bus or the train BUT I also recognize where I am and if I don't get that, then oh well. I choose to ride the subway, so if I am uncomfortable, then it is what it is and I accept it cause I chose to ride the train. If the train has no seats, and I have somewhere I have to go, you bet your ass I'm getting on that train and standing pretty on it too! Like someone said earlier, seats are a privilege not a right.

Besides, the fact that seems to be lost on folks here is that this is an EXPERIMENT. If it doesn't work, then this will just be a part of NYC Transit history that you might be able to say that you were a part of. If it does work, then wear some comfortable shoes, which you should be doing now anyway. LOL

Where's that "like" button when you need it lol

But after reading everyones comments, I think I'm ready to leave my 2¢ on this one...

Now I know for a fact that everybody on this website had to stand on a crowded train at least 1 time or another so I really don't see the problem with no seats. The (MTA) says they are at capacity on almost every line and can't run no more trains yet (at least until CBTC kicks in) so I see this as a temporary solution for getting more people to where they gotta go. I say give it a shot cuz I really don't give a crap about standing or not.

(NJT) trains, LRV & busses all have seats that fold up or fold away or close to make space, it's not really that big of a deal, i mean PATH can add 2 cars per train on the red line, what do you expect (NYCT) to do, have people hanging off the outside?

I've stood on a standing room only trip from bethpage to penn station, then penn station to trenton, then trenton to levittown, (trenton to levittown there was space to sit but it's a nothing ~8 minute ride), i really don't wanna hear blubbering over a 12000 foot 28 minute trip on a subway train standing up. :)

- A

(NJT) trains, LRV & busses all have seats that fold up or fold away or close to make space, it's not really that big of a deal, i mean PATH can add 2 cars per train on the red line, what do you expect (NYCT) to do, have people hanging off the outside?

I've stood on a standing room only trip from bethpage to penn station, then penn station to trenton, then trenton to levittown, (trenton to levittown there was space to sit but it's a nothing ~8 minute ride), i really don't wanna hear blubbering over a 12000 foot 28 minute trip on a subway train standing up. :)

- A

since when does Levittown have a train station?

In way, I agree with all the posts here. But here's my $.02:

That old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." ...why even bother with this? It's a waste of time and money all around. If you need to stand, you stand. If the train is less crowded, you can sit if there's a seat. Why bother with folding seats, that "if locked" will just cause more headaches for everyone, which we already have enough of.

Seats are never guaranteed to those of us who aren't disabled. I've had to stand countless times on LIRR and NJT trains, and it doesn't really matter... other people are standing, too. You pretty much expect to stand on a subway unless you're riding at really off hours. Taking seats off certain cars to complicate things for the people that cannot stand like the rest of us, and already have a hard enough time navigating the system? Insulting, and I hope this little "test" fails.

It's going to run into serious trouble with ADA advocates if it ever gets implemented, too.

My 2 cents:

Since when did seats become as vital as water? Seats are added for comfort, but they can make everyone (except the people in them) less comfortable during rush hours. Sometimes if the (F) is running slow, you can't even fit into the cars, and you have to wait for the next one. And if your riding one stop, and you have to get to the door at the other side, walking those few feet can take almost a minute. And if it doesn't sound good, the (MTA) should at least try it on one or two sets. And if know no one likes it, the (MTA) won't have to pay a cent on changing the cars, because they could just leave the seats down. So what are a lot of people getting so angry about? If the test gets negative results, soon everything will be back to normal. And this is only going to happen during Rush hour!!!!!!!!!!!! During rush hour, most Manhattan bound trains are packed on some routes. And the routes that aren't packed (mostly local ones,) probably won't get these cars. So why is everyone thinking that they are all going to die because a few cars have foldable seats???!!!

:P Sorry if I sounded angry. :P

Probably my longest post yet. :)

Why does the NYC subway need standing room only when even japan and their subway pushers don't do this.

IINM Japan has trains with folding seats. I remember looking at a photo of a train in either China or Japan (I'm pretty sure it was the latter) with 6 doors per side, fold-up seats and tons of straps to hold on to on the roof of the car.

and tons of straps to hold on to on the roof of the car.

It is such a shame that they got rid of straps on the subway here. I think that by adding the bar instead of straps, it causes people to not move in and a subway car to not hold as many people as it can. When you saw an empty strap in the middle of the car, you moved to it as you knew there was room. With the horizontal bar, why move in when you can stand where you are?

The same way you get off at your stop on a packed train. You say excuse me...this is the same thing as a normal train but with 2-4 more rows of people standing.

I think it will be time to add a new C/R announcement ... Let 'em off! Let 'em off!! :eek:

It is such a shame that they got rid of straps on the subway here. I think that by adding the bar instead of straps, it causes people to not move in and a subway car to not hold as many people as it can. When you saw an empty strap in the middle of the car, you moved to it as you knew there was room. With the horizontal bar, why move in when you can stand where you are?

Particularly on R-44/46 and NTTs, the design seems to make it more comfortable to stand in the doorways because of the large dividers at the ends of the seat benches. Not to mention that extra inch or so of space on NTTs in the doorways. Compare this to R-32s or most old SMEE equipment.

I think it will be time to add a new C/R announcement ... Let 'em off! Let 'em off!! :eek:

Why? Because everybody keeps standing in the bloody doorway not letting people off. Have you ever encountered the person standing in the doorway when the doors are open not letting anyone on/off?

Why? Because everybody keeps standing in the bloody doorway not letting people off. Have you ever encountered the person standing in the doorway when the doors are open not letting anyone on/off?

Yes, they might need something like this or people will literally have to fight their way off the train. Not only will there be the problem of people standing by the doors, you will have a whole train of pissed off commuters who don't want to move to deal with.

Oh, wait, so because they take a few seats out to leave more room for rush hour, we are going to use this as a excuse to crap on the R160s? Thats stupid.
People always find a way and seriously they waste too much time talking smack about this train model we've heard it all, it's the reason I rarely post in the subway forums. It's the same thing with Hybrids, sure MTA ordered alot of them but we used to have over 3000 RTS so what is the problem? MTA buying a lot of a train/bus model is nothing new, some people need a little history lesson.

Yea, and crowds that wouldn't let me out of a light rail train, i said "excuse me please i need to get off the train", some jackass said once i was off "look you're off". My girlfriend & i came to the conclusion about 2 months ago that people are stupid, and would never follow common sense.

When a train opens its doors, let those getting off exit first, and once no one is coming, then you board, not before. (genius i know)

- A

People always find a way and seriously they waste too much time talking smack about this train model we've heard it all, it's the reason I rarely post in the subway forums. It's the same thing with Hybrids, sure MTA ordered alot of them but we used to have over 3000 RTS so what is the problem? MTA buying a lot of a train/bus model is nothing new, some people need a little history lesson.

The funny thing is that the ones that complain weren't even alive long enough to ride the older model trains that were supposedly superior. Most of them are too young to come to a decision like that. Kids will be kids. I ignore the nonsense.

The new technology trains take me to work and back home faster than any other train before it. Period!

Archived