I hope you don't get tired during rush hour because...

INDman

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the (MTA) is treating commuters like Cattle, this idea sounds like it came right out of 1930s Germany

Those trains operated in the 1940s, not the 1930s. If my memory serves me correctly, the first one ran around September or October of 1941. They were called Sonderzuge, which literally means "special trains".

I wouldn't exactly compare an R160 with no seats to a Sonderzug.

Oh, wait, so because they take a few seats out to leave more room for rush hour, we are going to use this as a excuse to crap on the R160s? Thats stupid.

I couldn't agree with you more. It's not the trains fault for having fold-up seats. Hell, it's not like you won't be able to sit down in those cars during other times of the day. From what I see, it's a test and if it fails, the seats will be folded down for good. No more no less.

you have to be kidding me,this is obnoxious! where do they get these crazy things from!?

I agree. Definitely not an idea from a considerate and/or smart person.

This is one stupid idea.. Now if there is an elderly or disabled and he/she needs a seat, where is it?? Next car?! Or even a child!

Man does the R160 sucks! I hope the R142/143 won't get this bs.. Who knows if the R179/R188/ later fleets get this..

It's the same that I'm wondering. Expect a wave of lawsuits to be filed by the disabled and/or handicapped against the (MTA).

Well, the seats lock up or lock down. But who is going to do this, the cleaners at terminals? What about at WTC at rush hour when people see the seats being locked up? How pissed will they be? What about when it is on an empty line and someone does unlock it? I don't think this will last at all, people will rip the seats down.

People, including me, will be pissed off. People will probably have figured out how to put the seats in the lowered position after a month or two. I sure hope this 'project' doesn't last long.

I'll make sure to bring my own seat. :P

At this point, we'll all have to probably be doing that everytime we step onto a rush hour train.

Sad....

By the way this is temopary measure until they find away to add more service.

I sincerely hope that it will only be a temporary measure. EVERY commuter/customer of the (NYCT), be they you or me, young or old, fat or thin, is entitled to the right to a seat. It is like the so-called 'American dream'; everyone (supposedly) has the opportunity in America to achieve their goals, and achieve sucess, and be what they want to be. Even though it is not everyone who is able to accomplish these things, everyone should have a right to do so. And with seats on subways/buses, it is, for me at least, the same. When people have that opportunity, they sit down in a seat. If the train is crowded, and others have taken up these seats, then of course they will stand, but they sould at least have a chance to sit and rest. By making seats unavailable during rush hours, the (MTA) would be taking away that chance from the people, and that would be wrong.

the (MTA) is treating commuters like Cattle, this idea sounds like it came right out of 1930s Germany

I wouldn't go that far, but the basic idea here is the same: How do we solve problems with overcrowding? Cram as many people as we can, standing-room only, into a single train car!

The brains of the execs :P

Or their lack of brains and consideration thereof.

All I can say is this: As a daily Monday-thru-Friday rush hour commuter, I think that this plan is incorrigibly wrong. Something must be done to stop it. Hopefully, this 'experiment' will fail in an epic way.:tdown::mad::eek::P

I sincerely hope that it will only be a temporary measure. EVERY commuter/customer of the (NYCT), be they you or me, young or old, fat or thin, is entitled to the right to a seat. It is like the so-called 'American dream'; everyone (supposedly) has the opportunity in America to achieve their goals, and achieve sucess, and be what they want to be. Even though it is not everyone who is able to accomplish these things, everyone should have a right to do so. And with seats on subways/buses, it is, for me at least, the same. When people have that opportunity, they sit down in a seat. If the train is crowded, and others have taken up these seats, then of course they will stand, but they sould at least have a chance to sit and rest. By making seats unavailable during rush hours, the (MTA) would be taking away that chance from the people, and that would be wrong.

funny-pictures-black-l-cat-lol.jpg

Seriously why all the bitching and moaning from everyone? If people are so desperate to get a seat (during rush hour, if I might add) then all they have to do is move to the next car. Besides, this will only happen during rush hour. Rush hour is when you are least likely to get a seat. I take the (E) to the (6) to school. I don't even care about getting a seat, I'm just happy if I fit on the first train! Of course, coming back home from school after a long day is a different story, but if I'm really that tired then all I have to do is move to either the middle or the ends of the train (the same applies for the elderly/disabled). And also, if the train 'empties out', you should have no problem finding a seat in the next car that happens to have seats.

Also, saying that people will find a way to pull down an entire 6-seat section is going as far as saying that if people can't fit in the train they will pry the doors open before the train leaves the station and fit themselves in.

Bottom line, if it means I have a higher chance of getting into the train and a lower chance of being late to school because I couldn't fit, then I'm of course all for it.

Golly gee, lets pack more people into the cattle cars dur rush hours instead of you know, running more trains. I have an advertising idea for the MTA, hell Walder could do this himself save some miney on my idea, have a representative dress up as a cowboy on a few of the more crowded areas of the system during the morning and cattle prod people into the cars. I have an idea for the name too, cowboy Marcus Tyler Adams.

This would be a great idea....for Japan.(I think all of you seen the YT vid of Japan rush hour packing.)

It's already implemented in places like Japan, and China where crowding is far worse than NYC.

I don't see much problems with this. It would be better if the seats were actually taken out instead of being folded up and locked. You guys are acting like crowding isn't a problem that affects you. When you find yourself in the middle of a rush hour Lex or 7th Avenue Express with nothing to hold on, then you'll know. With the stand-only cars, there's more room for x group and y's suitcases.

Seriously why all the bitching and moaning from everyone? If people are so desperate, then all they have to do is move to the next car.

Easier said than done. The fact that there will be no seats in those 3 cars mean that a 5-car set of R-160s will only have 2 cars' worth of seats, complicating matters. And as I've said before, every commuter/customer is entitled to the chance of getting a seat. That doesn't mean they will get a seat, but they do have the right to have a chance to get a seat, don't they?

Besides, this will only happen during rush hour. Rush hour is when you are least likely to get a seat. I take the (E) to the (6) to school. I don't even care about getting a seat, I'm just happy if I fit on the first train!

I used to take the (E) and (6) to get to middle school, so I know what you mean, but at the same time, being that it's rush hour, that is when people will want seats the most.

Of course, coming back home from school after a long day is a different story, but if I'm really that tired then all I have to do is move to either the middle or the ends of the train (the same applies for the elderly/disabled). And also, if the train 'empties out', you should have no problem finding a seat in the next car that happens to have seats.

Yes. When someone is coming home, they'll most likely be tired, so the last thing they need is seats locked into a position so that no-one can sit in them. And how can you move to the middle or ends when the train is crowded? And what if the train doesn't empty out? Trains do not empty out at every stop, and all the time.

Also, saying that people will find a way to pull down an entire 6-seat section is going as far as saying that if people can't fit in the train they will pry the doors open before the train leaves the station and fit themselves in.

When saying that, I was thinking of the example where the homeless have, on occasion, used plastic cards or other things to unlock the storm doors on 75-foot cars, and other such examples along those lines.

Guest Charles
And as I've said before, every commuter/customer is entitled to the chance of getting a seat. That doesn't mean they will get a seat, but they do have the right to have a chance to get a seat, don't they?

Unless you're disabled or pregnant, a seat is a privelege. Only if you're disabled or pregnant, a seat is a right. You're on the train to get from place to place, train's not a place to sit and/or sleep away.

If you have to stand, deal with it. I'm fine with this concept.

Unless you're disabled or pregnant, a seat is a privelege. Only if you're disabled or pregnant, a seat is a right. You're on the train to get from place to place, train's not a place to sit and/or sleep away.

Where is your thank you button...

This young man speaks the truth! You don't need seats! LOL We have become waaaaaay too lazy!

If you notice, almost every rapid transit vehicle since the beginning of rapid transit has had seats: Horse-drawn carts, stagecoaches, trolleys, omnibuses, light rail vehicles, buses, trains, subways, ferries, pedicabs, rickshaws, taxis, etc. I don't think that, for example's sake, horse-drawn carriages in the 18th century had signs above the seats saying "For pregnant and disabled persons only", or signs saying "You're privileged to have a seat. Consider yourself lucky". One has to look around. The 'overcrowded (E) train during rush hour' perspective is not a very broad perspective. Even if one brings it up a level, to the 'NYC buses and trains during rush hour' perspective, the perspective remains relatively narrow. And if the train is not a place to sit, then why are there seats on the subway trains? Don't tell me that ALL of them are for the pregnant and disabled. If seats really aren't needed on a train, than no train would ever have had them in the first place.

Archived