B39-Purpose?

Amtrak7

They could get rid of the B39 if they made Delancey - Essex St. ADA compliant, but that station looks like it's a bit of a hassle to make that station ADA compliant. Isn't this route slated to be axed in the upcoming service cuts though?

Yeah and the B51 as well.

dumb question. would not mergering the b39 with any nearby route such as the M14a ave branch or the b24 or q59 at the willie b terminal help?

Depends on what you're trying to help. If you merge it with another line, it becomes subject to whatever delays that line is subject to as well (speaking from the M14A's perspective). That would maybe decrease the B39's reliability. But, it might be the only solution if it is on the chopping block.

Considering the horrible traffic jams that plague the bridge Manhattan-bound, it wouldn't be prudent to extend another line to cover the B39; the replacement line would see its reliability plunge through the floor.

No, not cover the B39. What if the B39 were extended west of Allen, using, say, Spring and Prince Streets and becoming a new crosstown route between the M22 and M8?

So when do you expect a bus to get off the bridge during rush hours? Again, the line would be unreliable. I guarantee you that today's B39 runs nowhere near the published timetable during the rush.

Besides, there used to be an M8 Grand/Broome Sts crosstown, which was discontinued due to low ridership. I don't see that trend reversing itself.

Again even if the (MTA) agreed to make essex station on the (F)(J) and (M) lines accessible for the disabled and seniors it would ake 2-3 years to bulid.

EE Local, only about 50-plus nyc subway stations are ada accessible for the disabled community as of dec 2009.

Other than a merger i think the B39 service hours should be cut but not totally canned. IMO the B39 should run weekdays 5am-1230am weekdays saturdays 6am-11pm and sundays 8am-11pm.

The (MTA) often overlooks the ada issue on their bus ideas including the latest 2010 doomesday cuts. Until Acccess a Ride improves & more subway stations are ada accessible routes like the B51 and B39 are needed.

Like I said about the B51,keep it.

St Louis, if you keep the B39 would you accept my idea for compromise to reduce it to a bus rnning daily about 6am-midnight and 8am-11pm sundays? Driving by the willamsburg bridge late at night few times over last couple of years, the b39 always seems to have *zero* passengers

St Louis, if you keep the B39 would you accept my idea for compromise to reduce it to a bus rnning daily about 6am-midnight and 8am-11pm sundays? Driving by the willamsburg bridge late at night few times over last couple of years, the b39 always seems to have *zero* passengers
I think thats a good Idea,considering that riders prefer to take the train over the bridge.And if there is still a decent amount of trains running late,then I can see reduced service in late night B39 service.For some they might prefer to take the bus into Brooklyn or Manhattan if they see it late at night to avoid the late subway ride home.:tup:

dumb question. would not mergering the b39 with any nearby route such as the M14a ave branch or the b24 or q59 at the willie b terminal help?

M14 has it's own nightmares it has to deal w/ in Manhattan along 14th st... that route is a lifeline for LES (lower east side) & East Village residents.... no point in merging the B39 with that...

I definitely think something should happen with the B24... but sending it into manhattan, isn't it...

Q59 got an extension to WBP a few mos. back... having that route head into manhattan would (further) delay that route.. remember, it still serves wythe/kent av's coming off grand, to get to/from WBP... for Q59's to access the bridge, it would require a(nother) stint of which is has to use indirect/circuitous routing... not worth it IMO.....

I can't think of any extension/tweak of the B39 that would add any influx of ppl. opting to use the route.... at least on the Manhattan end anyway....

M14 has it's own nightmares it has to deal w/ in Manhattan along 14th st... that route is a lifeline for LES (lower east side) & East Village residents.... no point in merging the B39 with that...

I definitely think something should happen with the B24... but sending it into manhattan, isn't it...

Q59 got an extension to WBP a few mos. back... having that route head into manhattan would (further) delay that route.. remember, it still serves wythe/kent av's coming off grand, to get to/from WBP... for Q59's to access the bridge, it would require a(nother) stint of which is has to use indirect/circuitous routing... not worth it IMO.....

I can't think of any extension/tweak of the B39 that would add any influx of ppl. opting to use the route.... at least on the Manhattan end anyway....

B35 in worst case scenrio other than a full cut to the route would you acceot as a compromise make this route run daily 6am-midnight until the essesx (J)(M)(F)subway station is ada accessible? I agree late night service should go on the b39.

B35 in worst case scenrio other than a full cut to the route would you acceot as a compromise make this route run daily 6am-midnight until the essesx (J)(M)(F)subway station is ada accessible? I agree late night service should go on the b39.

Interesting that you bring up ADA; if the MTA decides to eliminate the route, that could end up the subject of an ADA lawsuit in federal court. Disabled people who cannot climb up stairs but are not eligible for paratransit would have standing and merit to sue.

Interesting that you bring up ADA; if the MTA decides to eliminate the route, that could end up the subject of an ADA lawsuit in federal court. Disabled people who cannot climb up stairs but are not eligible for paratransit would have standing and merit to sue.

Great point. That why i understood why about 10-12 years ago(1998-99) when the Essex Street station was being rehabed why the (MTA) at that point did not install ada ramps/elevators? If they had done then, then the talk of the B39 being canned would have had more merit.

Like I said before, if the MTA decides to cut bus routes that duplicate subway lines, there will be fines and lawsuits levied against them. Not all of their subway stations are ADA-compliant. What? Their best excuse will be, "We were trying to save money?"

Like I said before, if the MTA decides to cut bus routes that duplicate subway lines, there will be fines and lawsuits levied against them. Not all of their subway stations are ADA-compliant. What? Their best excuse will be, "We were trying to save money?"

Agreed. The (MTA) is cutting on imo on wrong bus routes to 'balance their budget.'

FYI. The B39 does get good ridership(i only seen it sro during rush hours in recent years)7 days a week.

It will cost them big time , no doubt about it. These buses and subway cars were purchased with federal monies (all or in part) and if you are not compliiant with the stipulations I can see the (MTA) being forced to reimburse every last dime. You think the (MTA) has a budget shortfall now ? Just wait for the s..t to hit the fan. I don't think our US Senators can help the (MTA) get out of that fix.

Archived