(M)/(V) combo maybe happening in the future?

w8Hou

CI is not going to change much as the N and Q will just take on most of the cars the W has. CI will have more yard space since it no longer has to hold trains from the M anymore. That space can go to hold a few extra R trains.

The G has been extended into Brooklyn [which I guess balances out the cut from Queens], but will there be enough AA and the one AB sets to make 6-car trains for the G?

As you said if the G gets 6-car trains, how many more trains will be sent to the A/C?

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CI is not going to change much as the N and Q will just take on most of the cars the W has. CI will have more yard space since it no longer has to hold trains from the M anymore. That space can go to hold a few extra R trains.

The G has been extended into Brooklyn [which I guess balances out the cut from Queens], but will there be enough AA and the one AB sets to make 6-car trains for the G?

As you said if the G gets 6-car trains, how many more trains will be sent to the A/C?

I Heard 272 R46's But I Doubt it because Jamaica is going to need some R46's, As For R32's There is alot of things Flying Around when it comes to Their Assignment. CI can have some of their R160's as Put-ins on the (R).

The Leftover R46's are going to the (A) Or (©maybe) To Replace whatever they are Replacing, The Leftover Trains would Have to Come From CI, R160's, CI is not going to need the R160's from the (W) No More, The (Q) Only Needs about 6-8 More Trainsets, The rest would Go to Jamaica (R160 Alstoms A/;), The A-A R46's are going BACK to Jamaica for (G) Service, The (V) On the Other Hand is going to be Covered with R160A-1's and a few R32's.

What is the source of your statement of the 2 car AA R46's going back to the G.

Or is it your educated guess?

Ok, I have to ask this: How many people at the board meeting were against the service "cut" with the (V) replacing the (M)?

Do you mean committee members or members of the public? The committee members mostly seemed to accept it, with a few reservations. They'd like to see decreased headways, of course, since the six trains an houre we have now during rush hour isn't really enough and, presumably, the new (V) is going to be a bit more crowded. And some of them would like to see the (M) designation retained (in orange). The funny thing is I was invited to the same committee's meeting in December by a friend I have on it and, at the last moment, instead of asking them to work on getting a bike lane on Fresh Pond Road I decided to ask them to work on convincing the MTA to make this particular change. This was before all talk of cuts etc. So when I came back I was feeling a bit magical.

Now, if you mean members of the public, there were three of us. Me, I've long thought it would be a good idea to have one of the Nassau services run to midtown and, all things considered it would make most sense for the (M) to be that service. There were two others there who were against it. One has to commute every day to Fulton street. "Well, you'll have to transfer," I told her, "but it'll be right across the platform to the (J) and you shouldn't have to wait that long."

"Have you ever tried getting on the (J)? It's sardines."

"Today it is. But presumably there will be a lot of people getting OFF the (J) to get on the new (V) because that goes to midtown. So it probably won't be nearly as crowded."

The other lives in Queens and works in New Jersey so she has a bear of a commute anyway. I told her her best option was to go to 14th Street and get the PATH there. She didn't believe me that you could get on the PATH there without going out on the street. I mean she REALLY didn't believe me, to the point where I offered to go with her right then to show her.

So that was the meeting.

• 2 weeks later...
Like I said, I don't really care either, but the MTA could also end the V-M debate with an orange K. Just have the new line as the K and that'll solve the debate as neither V or M bullets would be kept. Plus it would bring back the old K service [somewhat].

yes! bring back the old 6 Av K train!

Why make a new bullet when there's an abundancy of unused ones?

Why not? With the R160s, you could practically program anything into the computer.

Say maybe have the V designation for the Culver line [basically a <F>] and save the M for maybe if they ever bring back the Bay Pkwy-Essex St segment?

Plus Eastern division is missing the letter K. That way you can have the J,K,L lines :)

It does. I don't know why people want to use a different letter or create a new bullet. What is so wrong with (V)?

Apparently it's the most polarizing failfan issue out there! (not a typo) People either love it, or love to hate it. Hence why seemingly every thread with 100+ replies in it this year so far has involved the (V) at some point in there...

Guest lance25

Re: Grand Concourse

If the new (V) was entirely 160s, it wouldn't matter what the letter was but since the MTA will probably pull cars from the 32s, keeping it the same letter makes the most sense.

If the new (V) was entirely 160s, it wouldn't matter what the letter was but since the MTA will probably pull cars from the 32s, keeping it the same letter makes the most sense.

Speaking of the R32s, do they even have the bottom signage where it indicates something like (V) 6th Av Lcl/Qns Blvd Lcl/Nassau Lcl?

True, but they also have (J) line signs on the R32. So they can just make the (V) exclusively R160s and put R32s on the (J).

Plus I think there should be some more 4-car R160 sets to be delievered for Eastern Division.

Speaking of the R32s, do they even have the bottom signage where it indicates something like (V) 6th Av Lcl/Qns Blvd Lcl/Nassau Lcl?

It won't be a Nassau Local unless you want to count that single stop it will be on the Nassau Street Line.

It won't be a Nassau Local unless you want to count that single stop it will be on the Nassau Street Line.

Myrtle Av. I meant.

If there are no route signs, wouldn't it just make more sense to give the (J) the R32s and the (V) its necessary R160As and R42s. That way signage won't be too much of an issue.

Archived