(M)/(V) combo maybe happening in the future?

w8Hou

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way i see it, no matter what you call the line, the ones who benefit are the riders who on a daily basis transfer between the F and the J/M/Z at delancey/essex. which from my observations, outnumber the riders who use the M south of essex.

"the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"

And the MTA needs outway its riders.

in this case, it may be a win/win

Ah, I've been waiting for someone to use the vulcan [star trek] line.

Interesting, thanks for the observation. And anything is better than the V ending at a useless terminal at 2nd Av. Though given how the V runs more trains on its end, I wouldn't totally rule out maybe a few V's still going to 2nd Av to ease traffic over the bridge. The QB end needs more service.

To me Jamaica might Have to keep those R32's that they have, for extras, As for the R160's that would be a wise choice to run them on the (V), But you might not have enough so it would be smart to use the 28 R32's at Jamaica, but only rush hours, You can't use the R42's due to the C/R posstion. To be honest I really don't think this is going to happen, It would cost the TA money just to install new boards for R160's on QB and car markers.

No other train type choice than R160 (4-car sets), 75-footers are too long. And I notice there are already 8-car markers at V stations anyway. No modification there.

Good breakdown CenSin,

lets not forget other pros with the V over the WillyB, less crowds on the F, more people on the V, Which i believe was one of the reasons to create the V besides a 4th QBL train into manhattan. The V is underused. if its southern terminal is extended more peolpe will use it.

and its a plus for operations too.

the cars needed can come from the M. Since the MTA is in the process of moving their r46s to 207/Pitkin, they could IMO, speed that up. Move whatever 32s left to serve on the V. You now have the problem of where the cars come from and the C/R board locations solved until a more long term solution is made

Well said.

The way i see it, no matter what you call the line, the ones who benefit are the riders who on a daily basis transfer between the F and the J/M/Z at delancey/essex. which from my observations, outnumber the riders who use the M south of essex.

"the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"

And the MTA needs outway its riders.

in this case, it may be a win/win

I think we think alike. B)

Although there is something true in ways, the (M) is still much more useful than the (V), but due to the budget shortful, the (V) extension seems much more reasonable, although the (M) could still be preserved for the future in-case if the Chrystie fails...

I doubt Chrystie will fail. There is a pattern based on passenger flow that this service will be used and successful. And when their budget recoups i see the MTA, IMO,expanding Z service past rush hours before they'll reinstate M service. It seems to be the more logical move.

Well, we'll see what happens, it will be an interesting run for the (V) though, although I do admit I have a stronger connection/relation with the (M) than the (V), :P.

thats the thing though. When arguing for something thats getting cut, logic beats emotion. I love the 44s. But their rotting. I wish the could run another decade but logic states that if theyre roting, get rid of them! same logic applies here.

This move w/ combining the (M) and (V) is a good thing. It'll gives Middle Village a one seat ride to Midtown and (J)/(Z) riders easier access to Midtown. I gotta admit, I would like to see and orange M bullet though if this move becomes permanent even after everything is back to normal.

thats the thing though. When arguing for something thats getting cut, logic beats emotion. I love the 44s. But their rotting. I wish the could run another decade but logic states that if theyre roting, get rid of them! same logic applies here.

Yes, the (M) is rotting. That's why it's brown.

The (M)/(V) combo would also make it easier for riders on the West Side, Midtown, and Upper Manhattan to get to stops on the Lower East Side/Williamsburgh/Bushwick such as Marcy Av, Essex St, and Myrtle-Broadway.

This combination would also take some loads off the (L) since this goes further north up Midtown.

I hope the (V) does relieve the (L) if it is extended to Metropolitan. We'll have to see what happens with that one. I know posters have said on here that many people transfer from the (J), (M) and (Z) to the (F) at Essex Street, so let's see if former (M)-to-(L) riders would indeed stay on the (V) to Midtown.

Well, the (V) would have connections to most of the lines that the (L) connects to such as the (1), (6), (A), (:P, (C), (D), (E), (F), (N), (Q), (R), and (W). This assumes most (L) riders need to access stations in midtown Manhattan on those lines and I'm confident the (V) accomplishes the same.

On PIX morning news this morning, a report on the MTA budget cut changes included the MTA announcing one of the changes is the elimination of the M and extending the V. The W is still on the chopping block.

Interesting, personally I hope to be on the last (M) and the first (V) that serves the Myrtle line.

If it's an R160, it's as easy as a flip of the sign. Also assuming the train isn't being pulled from service.

The (M)/(V) combo would be mostly R160's with 3 R32 Trainsets or more,

The reason why Im saying this is because you are going to need 3+ trains, The (V) is going to be a heavy ridership line when this happens, I support it because atleast this would be something different, The (M) uses 19 Trainsets The New (V) would use The (M)'s equipment.

Also I think they should extend the (J) down 4th ave to help the (R) and replace the (M) to ether to 9th ave or Bay Parkway, or just Have the (N) run via lower Manhattan like the 90's, I know that would bring back Hell on Broadway but the (R) can't do it alone.

Archived