(M)/(V) combo maybe happening in the future?

w8Hou

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've ridden the (J) from end to end on a regular basis for work. And I can honestly say whoever is saying that this line is excruciatingly long must have it confused with the (A) local or the (R). Stop treating the (Z) like its as important as having the (2)/(3) on the express tracks along 7th avenue. As far as I'm concerned the (M) is getting an upgrade instead of an axe. Access to Midtown without having to switch all the way downtown is a major upgrade.

The (N) should not revert to its 90s service pattern of running local via the Montague Tunnel 24/7.

The service isn't reverting to that pattern. The new (N) service will operate local between 57th St and Canal St then via the Bridge to/from Brooklyn. It will operate via the tunnel at night as is the case currently.

Say, that just reminds me; what happened to the notion of closing the lower Bway/Montague line nights, and running the (N) over the bridge all times? (Since there are nearby lines). That was the drastic desperate cut they were talking about before. Now, it has been forgotten.

The service isn't reverting to that pattern. The new (N) service will operate local between 57th St and Canal St then via the Bridge to/from Brooklyn. It will operate via the tunnel at night as is the case currently.

Right, I know it's not reverting to that pattern. The (N) currently runs that service on weekends when the (W) is not in service.

So they're not planning to shut down the (R) stations between City Hall and Lawrence Streets? Well, that's a relief.

Say, that just reminds me; what happened to the notion of closing the lower Bway/Montague line nights, and running the (N) over the bridge all times? (Since there are nearby lines). That was the drastic desperate cut they were talking about before. Now, it has been forgotten.

Closing stations = hiring people to close and open the stations, including hunting out stragglers.

Voila! Here comes permanent congestions to the Broadway Line! Soon the Q would serve no purpose just like the A along the lower 8th Avenue Express.

But if those stations have 24/7 metrocard booths, then you will just be paying them to watch an 'empty station'. So there's no difference there other than labor to close all the entrance/exits.

Exactly, and that costs money! Not all of them have 24 hour booths.

Voila! Here comes permanent congestions to the Broadway Line! Soon the Q would serve no purpose just like the A along the lower 8th Avenue Express.

Oh please, like there will be a huge difference when the (Q) is crossing in front of the (N)(R) at 34th Street than there is when the (N) is crossing in front of the (R)(W) at the same station. You would think there would be LESS congestion since there will only be one express line instead of two. Do your homework.

• 4 weeks later...

The Q would actually be more useful because it would be the only express and would actually skip 2 stops at a time. By the way, does anybody know if trains would skip 49th Street? I think that they could if terminating trains were relayed on the tracks north of 57th Street.

I think that there would be slightly more congestion because you would have the N merging at Prince Street and the Q merging at Times Square/57th Street.

The Q would actually be more useful because it would be the only express and would actually skip 2 stops at a time. By the way, does anybody know if trains would skip 49th Street? I think that they could if terminating trains were relayed on the tracks north of 57th Street.

I think that there would be slightly more congestion because you would have the N merging at Prince Street and the Q merging at Times Square/57th Street.

From this document (see page 36), the (Q) will stop at 49 St should these cuts go through.

heard it from a supt they have the headway already

What do you think is a reasonable headway for the line to run? I think it should run more frequently than the current M train (about 6 trains per hour), but less than the current V train (about 9 trains per hour). I always thought that the headways were overkill, considering that there is a 77% chance of finding a seat during rush hour. Even cutting the length of the train would reduce it to only about a 60% chance- higher than many lines. I think maybe 8 trains per hour would be good-the M's ridership would increase, as it would be the only connection to Midtown, especially from Williamsburg, where riders are currently forced to transfer to the F from the J/M/Z.

The R32 set at Fresh Pond Yard is not being used for revenue service. It is being used to break crews in on the secion of track between Broadway- Laffeyete and Essex Street. So it looks like the chances of this happening are high.

Yup, Someone Told me that there was an R32 in the Fresh Pond Yard for that reason.

He tends to over exhagerate. Skip stops saves what? 5-10min at most? People should also get over this 'fear' of the locals. It would probably be just a few minutes longer than the express, but at least you have more space on the train. If I lived along the J and was heading for Lower Manhattan, I'm not going back towards Sutphin to get the E or go to Broadway Junction for the A.

Agreed the (J) skip stop or not is the fastest way from Jamaica TO Eastern brooklyn, from Jamaica center to Bway East New York 20 minutes cant beat that I find the (J) ride through Brooklyn quick. The only problem i have with the (J) is i think it needs quicker headways.

What do you think is a reasonable headway for the line to run? I think it should run more frequently than the current M train (about 6 trains per hour), but less than the current V train (about 9 trains per hour). I always thought that the headways were overkill, considering that there is a 77% chance of finding a seat during rush hour. Even cutting the length of the train would reduce it to only about a 60% chance- higher than many lines. I think maybe 8 trains per hour would be good-the M's ridership would increase, as it would be the only connection to Midtown, especially from Williamsburg, where riders are currently forced to transfer to the F from the J/M/Z.

I definitely agree that the (V) extension should run more frequently than the current (M). Is an increase in service possible, or would this cause too much congestion at the Myrtle Ave. junction?

Archived