Major changes on the (A)/(C) lines happening soon

trainspot12

I see then, but with using A Division cars as rider cars, doesn't that allow for greater flexibility throughout the system, whereas using B division equipment is isolated to B division. Then again, I don't see why not...anything to keep them around for as long as possible.

This is all saying that the TA needs more rider cars. They did convert alot of redbirds so it may not be needed at all. That being said, sometime you gotta do what ya gotta do.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, the 3 of us are kinda thread-jackin. lets get back to the topic. as a daily A rider from rockaway to manhattan, im going to keep a look out next week to see if and when these changes are going to start. Thank god my BB has a slammin cam on it!

I usually hang during the Week on the Saint Nicholas (A)(C) line, so im with you on this looking!

trainspot12 is correct. The decision was made about 3-4 weeks ago at first, so I'd heard about it when it happened, but it had to travel through all the appropriate channels. Apparently now it has, and so it ends up here, but this information is correct...R44's will be going bye bye soon...

Well now this is happening.. why not try something different... For example R68s on the (A) or (C)!!! swich things up a little.. do i hear R46s on the (D) ???? OMFG u thinking I must be outta my mind!!! but come on, they (MTA)gotta try new things.. people gotta bug out now and then:confused:

Well now this is happening.. why not try something different... For example R68s on the (A) or (C)!!! swich things up a little.. do i hear R46s on the (D) ???? OMFG u thinking I must be outta my mind!!! but come on, they (MTA)gotta try new things.. people gotta bug out now and then:confused:

Geez, if you think that recently they're not changing it up enough, then I don't know what to tell you! You have the R-32/42 not to mention the RFW (although that term seems to be out-of-favor now) staying around and the R-44s which are unpopular among a lot of folks here, going sooner. Also, the possibility of an M/V merger on top of that. There's no point in putting R-68s on the A & C other than for the sake of change. It's the same thing with putting R-62s on the (2) or the N & W swapping terminals. There's no point, just be glad that you'll have a few more years of R-32/42s.

Why would you wanna swap cars for no reason, it doesnt make sense, leave the (D) out of it, The (A)(C) need the swapping, by doing your plan, your making more work for the t/a.. Which is a very bad idea.

Wow, just wow. I was told that this was going to happen a few weeks ago as well, including the part about the R44's going to the (C). To see that it's REALLY happening is just mind-boggling. I will miss the R44's but it's their time to go. They really should have been reefed before any R32 was but what's done is done. 2010 is already off to an interesting start.

Wow, just wow. I was told that this was going to happen a few weeks ago as well, including the part about the R44's going to the (C). To see that it's REALLY happening is just mind-boggling. I will miss the R44's but it's their time to go. They really should have been reefed before any R32 was but what's done is done. 2010 is already off to an interesting start.

Initially that was supposed to happen but the R32 IIs were deemed worse than the R44s so they went first.

It was stupid of them to let the 44's get to this point, like not using stainless steel on the band, and what ever else could have been done to address the frame rot during GOH.

So now, we're stuck with (for crews) uncomfortable old stuff with cramped single cabs, more brake handles remaining (I had thought that with only the 68's and 62's having brake handles, and those cars being pretty much isolated on certain lines, they might give T/O's not on those lines the new plastic brake handles, since they would hardly ever use them).

I guess, from a nostalgic and railfan perspective, it is good, but to me, 32's and 42's should be museum equipment already. (Though the 44's I didn't like either because of the odd controller and T/O seat arrangement)

One bit of news from a few weeks ago that was kept off of these boards is that they were actually looking into another complete GOH of the 44's. That was the initial emergency measure being proposed while they did this investigation.

Another idea I used to imagine was placing retired M class cars on SIR and bring those 44's over here.

No R32s and R46, which doesnt make sense, id leave the R32s with the (C) and retiree the R44s thru the (A)....

It does make sense, they are doing to the R44s what they did with the R42s on the (V), make them run part time then ship them off to the scrap heap

to me it makes sence. the C doesnt run 24/7 like the A.

Yessir!

I need to get my rides in on the 44s and say bye properly. My first fleet of a trains ever.

Same here.

]And they are better then the R160s B)[/b]

R32s are like Matt Hardy: they will NOT die!

All cars are!

A little trivia: dou know what the two elements that makes the R32s rust-resistant?

Ture that' date=' but im wonderin if they will last since they are carbon steel

you sure?

Lol B)

[b']Even the REDBIRDS and SLANTS are better then the 160s :cool:[/b]

That has yet to be proven, can't compare 5 year old cars to 40+ year old cars, that is a dumb comparison, and one of the main reasons why I do not have a favorite subway car. Comparing an R32 with an R40 series car would make more logical sense.

It does make sense, they are doing to the R44s what they did with the R42s on the (V), make them run part time then ship them off to the scrap heap

The Slants were a different story; when they hit the (A), they even ran at night.

That has yet to be proven, can't compare 5 year old cars to 40+ year old cars, that is a dumb comparison, and one of the main reasons why I do not have a favorite subway car. Comparing an R32 with an R40 series car would make more logical sense.

Your opinion, but that's fine. I'm a fan of the older equipment, always have been. It's just a preference.

The Slants were a different story; when they hit the (A), they even ran at night.

Dont forget about that epic mistake the MTA made by running the slants, mods & R42s on the (C) that had people crying, whining, groaning and moaning about running for the train.

And to me, which was the weirdest sight to see slants/mods & R42s running on the (C). I also thought they were going to scrap them off like that as well, until people demanded their R32s & R38s back onto the (C) line.

I did see one time during the start of the invasion, someone tripping and busting their a$$ on the platform while running for the train, and ended up missing it...

Dont forget about that epic mistake the MTA made by running the slants, mods & R42s on the (C) that had people crying, whining, groaning and moaning about running for the train.

And to me, which was the weirdest sight to see slants/mods & R42s running on the (C). I also thought they were going to scrap them off like that as well, until people demanded their R32s & R38s back onto the (C) line.

You're telling me, I live along the line. As much as a shock it was to see the Slants on the (A), it was more of a shock to see them on the (C) as well, including the R40Ms and R42s. I rode them more because I had better accessibility to them.

After New Years, when I came back from Nassau County, Monday morning, I expected to see the Slants on the (C) again, except I saw an R32 on the (C), with R38s trailing.

I did see one time during the start of the invasion, someone tripping and busting their a$$ on the platform while running for the train, and ended up missing it...

That's the exact reason why the R32s and R32s went back to the (C); at stations where the exit is in the back and the train stops all the way in the front, leaving 120' of "nothing", passengers at Franklin Avenue on the northbound side had to run for the train. And I heard that someone also fell onto the tracks running for the (C).

Basically, if the R40Ms and R42s stayed on the (A) or (C), my estimate was that they would have not made it past the summer. Moreover, if it really was a problem they should have lengthened the (C) to ten cars from the get go, and since that they are now, I wouldn't be surprised if they slip those reactivated R42s on the (C).

Thought 2008 and 2009 was interesting? 2010 is following suit as well.

Archived