Major changes on the (A)/(C) lines happening soon

trainspot12

Interesting to hear about the R44s being phased out. One question though: from what I know, there are exactly 300 60' SMEE's left in operable condition, or 30 600' sets. Also, there are 272 (respectively 264 if you take away the "test" set) R44 cars, or 34/35 600' sets.

So, that's a deficit of 4 or 5 trainsets. Are these trainsets going to be "saved" via the (M)/(V) merger, or the (W) elimination?

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even the REDBIRDS and SLANTS are better then the 160s :cool:

All this hate you've been showing towards the newer equipment recently has been kinda interesting to me, especially considering that there was an NTT in your signature for like the past year before the sigs were all reset...

Well now this is happening.. why not try something different... For example R68s on the (A) or (C)!!! swich things up a little.. do i hear R46s on the (D) ???? OMFG u thinking I must be outta my mind!!! but come on, they (MTA)gotta try new things.. people gotta bug out now and then:confused:

With what money?

Interesting to hear about the R44s being phased out. One question though: from what I know, there are exactly 300 60' SMEE's left in operable condition, or 30 600' sets. Also, there are 272 (respectively 264 if you take away the "test" set) R44 cars, or 34/35 600' sets.

So, that's a deficit of 4 or 5 trainsets. Are these trainsets going to be "saved" via the (M)/(V) merger, or the (W) elimination?

The new (V) will use the old (M)'s fleet, as well as 4 extra SMEE trains. That means almost all of the (V)'s fleet (almost 18 trains) are freed up for use around the system if the merger goes through.

Nope, because there are no more R42s to be reactivated.

The final 12 Jamaica Yard assigned R42's were transfered to 207 YD after service on the final night of operation and were placed in storage. They have not been reefed/ abated/stripped. The car numbers have been given in the past, among them the first pair: 4550/51.

true that. if the use a B division car for work service, its gotta fit ALL B division lines. There was a mention of taking some main line 44s and convert them for SIR if the 179 order takes too long.

The MTA just paid big bucks a couple of years ago to overhaul the entire SI R44 fleet. The SI R44's are good to go through 2015 and have nothing to do with the problems of NYCT's R44s.

The final 12 Jamaica Yard assigned R42's were transfered to 207 YD after service on the final night of operation and were placed in storage. They have not been reefed/ abated/stripped. The car numbers have been given in the past, among them the first pair: 4550/51.

I was aware of that. I was probably vague in my post. Thanks for clearing it up.

The Pitkin Yard Car Equipment Superintendent, who has the R44's under his direct care, said that the R44 retirement is NOT confirmed. He also said:

1. A or C line TSSs get rumors. They do not get first hand information.

2. [Car] Inspectors do not have credible information. The decisions will be made several pay grades above them.

3. Most importantly, R-44s can only run in 4 or 8 car trainsets. If you believe that the R-44s will run on the C Line then you need to believe that they will go to 600' trains. IF the R-44s are then scrapped, because of the number of R-32s and R-42 that are available, the C would need to be cut back to 480' trains - not something that would be desirable or politically feasible.

This is coming from the horse's mouth.

Rumors rumors rumors rumors rumors........

I would really hate to see the R44's go. The R44's were the newest subway cars in the system when I first rode the subway on a regular basis in Sep 1974 to travel from Queens to Manhattan for high school. It made my day to ride an R44 F with the circled, pinkish-colored F in the front. The cars were such a step up from the other cars. I remember hearing about these trains 2 years earlier when they first entered service when I was an occasional subway rider. They were a real luxury train. The R46's started to arrive just over a year later and although an improvement over the R44's (although the truck problem would soon develop), were just not the same as the R44's as far as I was concerned. I watched the R46's enter service and got a thrill from catching one of the latest cars to enter service on my way to and from school. The R44's (and later R46's) represented something so different given their interiors and the fact they were 75 ft long. I was never as big a fan of the R68's when they entered service some 12 years after the R46's did. I do not see any progress from R46 to R68 the way there was progress from the R42's to the R44's. As for the R62's, the IRT desperately needed any sort of new car given what ran on the IRT prior to 1984. Let's hope these R44's can last another few years and that talk of their imminent demise is pure rumor. I still get a thrill when I have to take the A train and an R44 arrives. Long Live the R44

The Pitkin Yard Car Equipment Superintendent, who has the R44's under his direct care, said that the R44 retirement is NOT confirmed. He also said:

2. [Car] Inspectors do not have credible information. The decisions will be made several pay grades above them.

3. Most importantly, R-44s can only run in 4 or 8 car trainsets. If you believe that the R-44s will run on the C Line then you need to believe that they will go to 600' trains. IF the R-44s are then scrapped, because of the number of R-32s and R-42 that are available, the C would need to be cut back to 480' trains - not something that would be desirable or politically feasible.

This topic is a bunch of lies and loose ends from the start. Good job NYCTF, you done it again. I trust Train Dude's response from Subchat on this one.

You know, I think there's something Train Dude may not be telling us, which I don't have a problem at all with for a person of his caliber. The way I see it, he doesn't want to "leak" the actual truth until this retirement, if it is true, actually goes down.

I thought this wasn't true. Like I said before, until there is SOLID proof, it's all rumor.

That wpuld be the best thing to do. You never know what might happen.

And if next week is right around the corner, on what street is June 26th located? ;)

The MTA just paid big bucks a couple of years ago to overhaul the entire SI R44 fleet. The SI R44's are good to go through 2015 and have nothing to do with the problems of NYCT's R44s.

No, this has everything to do with the SIR R-44 fleet. If the NYCT R-44 fleet is retired, there is a decent chance the SIR R-44 fleet would be too.

Even though I posted this information, I tend to agree with ZMan. I seriously doubted that the C would become full length next week as it would have been too soon. So yeah, its just a wait and see thing to see if this actually happens. Sorry about this information.

No, this has everything to do with the SIR R-44 fleet. If the NYCT R-44 fleet is retired, there is a decent chance the SIR R-44 fleet would be too.

They just overhauled the entire SI fleet at Coney Island and took some measures against the rust issues that NYCT has yet to do. The SI R44 fleet WILL last until at least 2015, and this is according to the MTA themselves.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/06/staten_island_railways_rolling.html

They just overhauled the entire SI fleet at Coney Island and took some measures against the rust issues that NYCT has yet to do. The SI R44 fleet WILL last until at least 2015, and this is according to the MTA themselves.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/06/staten_island_railways_rolling.html

No, that article is from b4 the decision was made to evaluate the R-44 fleet for retirement. The "overhaul" did not solve the R-44 problems that are causing the possible retirement. If the decision is made the retire the R-44 fleet, the SIR R-44s will not automatically be exempt.

Archived