Major changes on the (A)/(C) lines happening soon

trainspot12

Also, I've been wondering about what this proposed R44 retirement means for the R160 order. There probably won't be enough R160 trainsets to equal the capacity of the R32, R40, R42 AND R44. Either some (2-3 sets) of the R32's will have to stay until the next fleet is procured....

...or the MTA could exercise R160 option 3 for 230 more cars.

What do you think will happen here?

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, I've been wondering about what this proposed R44 retirement means for the R160 order. There probably won't be enough R160 trainsets to equal the capacity of the R32, R40, R42 AND R44. Either some (2-3 sets) of the R32's will have to stay until the next fleet is procured....

...or the MTA could exercise R160 option 3 for 230 more cars.

What do you think will happen here?

The MTA said they ain't retiring R32s or R42s anymore until at least 2011...

Ok as of now i dont see any swapes. Tomo ill be on the (A) and see. Since the (C) doesnt run till tues due to g.o.. Then if Tues NOTHING happens.. then this topic is useless.

Hopefully everything stays the same.. And just retiree the R44s via the (A) and have the R46s bump em off.. Then swapping. Once again will see..

Ill miss me R44s!

Okay, I was out ALL DAY yesterday and I was even on the (A) line for a good hour or so. I caught a 32 at Jay Street heading uptown without even waiting for it but i didn't see any other 32s (I most likely didn't run into them). My friend said that if there were four or five 32s on the (A) this weekend (including Monday because it's a holiday), that hints for a swap. As of yet, nothing, so let's just wait and see.

Okay, I was out ALL DAY yesterday and I was even on the (A) line for a good hour or so. I caught a 32 at Jay Street heading uptown without even waiting for it but i didn't see any other 32s (I most likely didn't run into them). My friend said that if there were four or five 32s on the (A) this weekend (including Monday because it's a holiday), that hints for a swap. As of yet, nothing, so let's just wait and see.

That does NOT hint for a swap.

Because the C is not running 207 Yd has to put out additional A put-ins weekend mornings.

Since the A doesn't go express "all the way" due to suspension of the C, the A needs more trainsets due to the additional running time. Only 2 A train sets lay-up at 207YD weekday nights. They have to supply more than 2 on the weekends whenever the C is suspended. So Friday night/Saturday morning the yard has to make some R32's from the C into 10 car A trains for weekend service. The process reverses itself the midnight before C service resumes.

Because the C is not running 207 Yd has to put out additional A put-ins weekend mornings.

Since the A doesn't go express "all the way" due to suspension of the C, the A needs more trainsets due to the additional running time. Only 2 A train sets lay-up at 207YD weekday nights. They have to supply more than 2 on the weekends whenever the C is suspended. So Friday night/Saturday morning the yard has to make some R32's from the C into 10 car A trains for weekend service. The process reverses itself the midnight before C service resumes.

In that case, any idea how many R32s were out on the (A)? Back in November when the (C) were out I heard as many as three.

Acually more then 3 is wrong, because ive seen more then 3 R32s on the (A) in past g/os when the (C) got cut!

Its better to wait till tues when the g/os are over

Acually more then 3 is wrong, because ive seen more then 3 R32s on the (A) in past g/os when the (C) got cut!

Its better to wait till tues when the g/os are over

You just contradicted yourself...he said "more than two" and you said you saw three. :confused:

You just contradicted yourself...he said "more than two" and you said you saw three. :confused:

I didnt see any. I saw only R44s. Shane did say he saw like 5 i think.

But in past g/os like i said, i have seen like 5-6 or even 7. Possibly for Xtra service on the (A).

Im gonna head rail fanning today to check it out, with an ATS extra..

God i hope this swap doesnt happen, even if people disagree only for an RFW.. Just that the R44 marks a home on the (A) for the last 15 yrs.. As well as the R32s on the (C). Plus its funny catching an R32 (A) on the system. Since its RARE!

Plus if the t/a wants to retiree the R44, instead of swapping thru lines, they can just bump out the 44s with the R46s..

But what ever happens, OFFICIALLY goes on by Tues. When the (C) is in service.. Tomo no ©harlies..

Then they soon retire R44s off the (C). For now the C will finally receive a full length that covers majority of the platform. We don't have to run up for it.

Slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Down dude.. We dont even know whats happening. So we can not conclude. Plus who knows if its R44s, it could be R46. Even if any t/a worker says.., we have to see what happens on Tues!

But in past g/os like i said, i have seen like 5-6 or even 7. Possibly for Xtra service on the (A).

God i hope this swap doesnt happen, even if people disagree only for an RFW.. Just that the R44 marks a home on the (A) for the last 15 yrs..

Plus if the t/a wants to retiree the R44, instead of swapping thru lines, they can just bump out the 44s with the R46s..

But what ever happens, OFFICIALLY goes on by Tues. When the (C) is in service.. Tomo no ©harlies..

I have never seen that many since the R38s retired. The most I saw and heard about was three whenever the (C) is out.

God i hope this swap doesnt happen, even if people disagree only for an RFW.. Just that the R44 marks a home on the (A) for the last 15 yrs.. As well as the R32s on the (C). Plus its funny catching an R32 (A) on the system. Since its RARE!

For some reason, IIRC, I have caught at least 1 R32 (A) per month since July with the exception of August.

The R44 has been on the (A) more than 15 years.

For some reason, IIRC, I have caught at least 1 R32 (A) per month since July with the exception of August.

The R44 has been on the (A) more than 15 years.

Every time on the St. Nicholas portion of the (A), ive seen like 3 about. Last R32 I saw was on Friday, one i rode from 175th to 190th then took it down to 168th. And saw another at 145th heading to Inwood. Then again double R32s back to back at 145h

So, so far its like 1-4 sets running

I have never seen that many since the R38s retired. The most I saw and heard about was three whenever the (C) is out.

Maybe 7 is a bit to high, more like 5-6 i caught. And seen less R44s of course, since R46s and the R32s were in service.. Yesterday i caught a lot more R44s then R46s.

Maybe 7 is a bit to high, more like 5-6 i caught. And seen less R44s of course, since R46s and the R32s were in service.. Yesterday i caught a lot more R44s then R46s.

Are you sure you didn't see the same sets?

Even if the R44s dont go to the (C) doesn't mean that the retirement isn't happening. I'm not saying the retirement is necessarily happening (I think it probably is) but they can always just keep them on the (A) and steadily retire them as more R46s get transferred to Pitkin. I took the (A) today, and I saw all R44s and R46s. We won't be able to tell if a swap happened until Tuesday. And if they decide to keep the R32s on the (C) (which would make the most sense considering it doesn't make sense to extend the ©'s length and cut it back again) then we'll only be able to tell if someone sees more 5XXX R46's on the (A).

Slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Down dude.. We dont even know whats happening. So we can not conclude. Plus who knows if its R44s, it could be R46. Even if any t/a worker says.., we have to see what happens on Tues!

Mmmhmm, 3 to Lefferts with two going to the Rockaways IIRC (or where ever they were supposed to go this weekend.). I've always seen up to 5 R32 sets on G.Os where the A is a full on local, or part express & when the (C) is not running.

More or less, lets just wait and see, this whole speculation thing has got to stop

Amen! Idc what happens, I just need a way to get around the city, thats all..

Instead people are so jumping up for an RFW on the (A), like come on, there is 1-4 sets running on the (A).. jeez.

-People want 8 cars on the (C) to make it 10 cars... Soon that may not be like that.. Plus wanna (C) on a new fleet. R44/46[Ethert]

-People in a rush to get rid of the R44s.. Like wow, maybe some of you want it gone, but others like me and a few still love and support the R44s, no matter what! Fart noises, rusting or anything. Idc!

-Whats important.. A RFW or a ride to your destination? Thats how some people are viewing it..

-Who knows if the R44s will retiree. Just because a FEW TSS workers or what ever said so, doesn't mean they know everything.. No offense, but it all depends on the (MTA) not just 2-3 peeps.

Anyways lets sit and wait. Tues the (A) is with R44/46/1-4 R32s, (C) with R32s or the swap is in effect, then what ever. Doesn't matter. No need to jump the gun so face. Like the (M)/(V) combo...

Archived