Subway Update

R32 3838

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree, the controler should be centered. I'm a righty, but I'd like to keep that hand fresh to write. I'd much rather prefer to handle the controls with the left hand.

According to someone who would know such, there was no room to put the controller in the center of the console, as the cars were designed to accommodate T/Os larger than would be physically possible if the space needed to house the controller were to be immediately in front of the T/O.

Okay, Here's Another Update:

Today was 4 Trainsets of R160's on the (R) Expect More between tommorrow and Tuesday.

2 R46's ran on the (F) Plus you have 4 trainsets or more Layed up

I heard that they have some T/O and C/R's from Both the ®/(V) that are not trained for the R160's and they will be trained tommorrow Morning, Expect everything to be messed up tommorrow on QB (in terms of Crew)

As for the (V) keep yours eyes out for the (V), It seems that they want every line that serves QB to have R160's (Not 100%)

And 1 Thing The (F) WAS NEVER 100% R160's, They Always had 1-2 Trainsets of R46's on the (F) They poped up during Rush Hours.

As More R160's go to the (R) and (Maybe (V)) More R46's will return to the (F).

Very interesting. So I guess they want the (F)(R)(V) to have 50/50 of R46/R160? and the (E) all R160 and (G) R46.

Yep...we had a T/O who crawled through the Montague Street tube and another who crawled through the 60th Street tube cuz they didn't know how to operate the damn thing.

Don't say that. They were qualified otherwise they would not have taken the train down the road.

Please, give us a break. These are nothing like the older cars to operate, akin to teaching an old dog a new trick. I can assure you that the first time I operate one on my own, I will be very cautious, like them, till I get used to it. I am not going to take any chances and risk my job. I'd rather be late, just give the guys who are new to the equipment a bit of slack.

I agree, the controler should be centered. I'm a righty, but I'd like to keep that hand fresh to write. I'd much rather prefer to handle the controls with the left hand.

If the controller was in the middle, then they'd have a "problem" where to put the TOD screens, of which they're 2, but the second one is for CBTC, and as fast as installation is going throughout the system, I wonder if some cars will ever operate that way!

Also, the issue with the controller in the middle: I wonder if NYCT thought that in case of a t/o all of a sudden having a heart attack or passing out for any reason, that the t/o would collapse on top of the controller holding it in place thereby negating the dead man. Maybe my thought is crazy but..........

Don't say that. They were qualified otherwise they would not have taken the train down the road.

Please, give us a break. These are nothing like the older cars to operate, akin to teaching an old dog a new trick. I can assure you that the first time I operate one on my own, I will be very cautious, like them, till I get used to it. I am not going to take any chances and risk my job. I'd rather be late, just give the guys who are new to the equipment a bit of slack.

I hear you. If someone gave me a $10 Million, 500 ton, potentially fatal piece of equipment and told me to operate it for a living, I wouldn't mess around either for like the first MONTH...

Then there are the timers...:confused:

If the controller was in the middle, then they'd have a "problem" where to put the TOD screens, of which they're 2, but the second one is for CBTC, and as fast as installation is going throughout the system, I wonder if some cars will ever operate that way!

Also, the issue with the controller in the middle: I wonder if NYCT thought that in case of a t/o all of a sudden having a heart attack or passing out for any reason, that the t/o would collapse on top of the controller holding it in place thereby negating the dead man. Maybe my thought is crazy but..........

I doubt CBTC will be on every line while the R160s are still around. Didn't the (7) line CBTC just get put on hold?

You do have a valid point about the controller being in the middle and the T/O collapsing on it, I mean it did happen at 179 in the lay-up with a pre GOH R46. Whats odd though is that they put the controller in the middle of the desk top of the R142s.

No worries. I see they're probably just getting accustomed to the train so it'll be a matter of time before they can really make the train move.

Making those shitcans move is not the important thing, it's making them stop that matters.

You know, I refer to the 68s as the shitcans while you refer to the 160s as them...but either way I agree with you on that one for the most part.

In my book it;s like this:

All NTTs are shit cans

R44s are shit boxes

R68/A are just slow, other then that they are what they are.

I have to disagree.The R142,R142A & R160B(Siemens) are not shitty but the rest of the NTT's are sry R143 lovers & R160A lovers.R142's kick ass especially on express runs to me they ran/run better & faster than the Redbirds but slightly(mostly referring to the R142A).

R68/A's are slow and I also refer to them as shitcans.

Now the R44's they're ok 2me they have there bright spots.

Ill pretend I didnt hear that.:cry:

The only thing I don't like about the 68s is that they friggin slide in the wintertime...at least they are comfortable with their bucket seats. I fell asleep on one.

In my book it;s like this:

All NTTs are shit cans

R44s are shit boxes

R68/A are just slow, other then that they are what they are.

Agreed on the first (I do like the 142As and 143s but I'm not so much of an NTT fan), and on the second, and on the third.

Agreed on the first (I do like the 142As and 143s but I'm not so much of an NTT fan), and on the second, and on the third.

The R143s are more of a curiosity to me, the whole CBTC and ATO thing is interesting, I don't trust it, but it is interesting.

Yea, really old trains like the Arnines, Low-Vs, D Types, ABs, and El cars. I love working on them. Of the modern stuff, I like the R46s and R32s.

Agreed. Two comfortable car types on the (A) and the (C), better than those POS 160s that have plagued the (E)(F)(J)(L)(M)(N)(Q)(R)(W) and (Z). I'm sorry, but some of those lines either don't look right with 160s or don't even deserve them period.

The R143s are more of a curiosity to me, the whole CBTC and ATO thing is interesting, I don't trust it, but it is interesting.

I was never too keen on the CBTC/ATO crap myself...I don't like the fact that the train I'm on is not being controlled by a human being but rather a computer. It's shocking and quite disturbing if I must say...

Mhmm R160's would look great on the (A),(B),(D).I like em on the (F),(N) & (Q) but dislike em on the (E),(J)/(Z) & (L).

They're fine on the (J) and (Z). Those riders really deserved them because the 42s they had were shitting bricks if I must say. They run fine but the roofs look terrible. Just SMS them and they'll be fine.

I was never too keen on the CBTC/ATO crap myself...I don't like the fact that the train I'm on is not being controlled by a human being but rather a computer. It's shocking and quite disturbing if I must say...

The odd part about ATO is that I will ride people movers at airports with out thinking twice, but when it comes to ATO on the (L), I am hesitant. The one thing that I do like this that many T/Os on the (L) pay very close attention and will dump the train if it seems like it may go out of the station, which does happen alot.

The odd part about ATO is that I will ride people movers at airports with out thinking twice, but when it comes to ATO on the (L), I am hesitant. The one thing that I do like this that many T/Os on the (L) pay very close attention and will dump the train if it seems like it may go out of the station, which does happen alot.

I guess that would apply to 12-9s too, eh? There's no way in hell they can pull T/Os from a train...ever, especially in a system with an infrastructure as big as ours. It's too risky.

Archived