Subway Update

R32 3838

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it still possible for the (MTA) to change their minds about ordering the option order 3 of 130 R160A's and 100 R160B's.:confused:

Yeah, if they get $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Is it still possible for the (MTA) to change their minds about ordering the option order 3 of 130 R160A's and 100 R160B's.:confused:

For the umpteenth time, Option 3 is dead! D-E-A-D DEAD!!! If they wanted to order more 160s they would have done so back in January before the plants at Alstom would be scheduled to shut down after the last 160s there are finished. After car no. 9974, there will be absolutely no more 160s coming in so stop getting your hopes up kid.

Yeah, if they get $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Read the reply I made to him. Even if the MTA had the money now they're basically too late.

75 foot cars will not fit onto either the 207th St Barge Lead or the Bway Junction connector to the Canarsie Line to access Linden, so...wait and see...

That's all I'll say on the matter for now, but remember this is me, and I have reputable sources so you can take that to ze bank if you're so inclined, consider this your confirmation of the above though...those aren't rumors anymore...everything else...IS...until it happens :(

I'll take that to the bank all right. :tup: This should get interesting.

Love the side talking but its cool, ain't no sweat off my brow because I remember all the talk about people were giving out about "Oh No, the R-44s aren't going be scrapped or stored." I was one of the few people that said it was coming....Mmmmm whats happening, now? I'd say my sources were pretty tight on that one.

Some people just don't want to listen to others. Oh well, it's their lose anyway. Those who care for the R44s have till the end of September to get that oh so precious "last ride" before they are stored/scrapped. The disposal of the R44s will be interesting due too the factors Subwayguy had mentioned before.

They will replace the 44s beecause all the 46s the (F) and (V) used will go to the (A) and those 46s on those lines were replaced with 160s.

Look on Wikipedia it says that the R160's will replace the R44's, meaning that the Jamaica yard will have to send alot more R46's from the (R) and (V) lines to the pitkin yard for the (A) train, since the (V) will be elimanated, they won't need those cars anymore. Also if the (R) is going to give up more of it's R46's then this means that the (R) train needs to get the R160's, like the R46's from the (F) were displaced by the R160's and sent to the (A) line. I really wish the (MTA) didn't reject the third option order of 130 R160A's and 100 R160B's, they could have been here by now and useful for the situation of the R44 retirement.

Look on Wikipedia it says that the R160's will replace the R44's, meaning that the Jamaica yard will have to send alot more R46's from the (R) and (V) lines to the pitkin yard for the (A) train, since the (V) will be elimanated, they won't need those cars anymore. Also if the (R) is going to give up more of it's R46's then this means that the (R) train needs to get the R160's, like the R46's from the (F) were displaced by the R160's and sent to the (A) line. I really wish the (MTA) didn't reject the third option order of 130 R160A's and 100 R160B's, they could have been here by now and useful for the situation of the R44 retirement.

As a rule of thumb, don't trust Ickipedia (sp intentional) as a source of info unless such info can be confirmed through more reliable sources. Just my 2¢.

I really wish the (MTA) didn't reject the third option order of 130 R160A's and 100 R160B's, they could have been here by now and useful for the situation of the R44 retirement.

They never rejected it per se, they just never carried out any action to have a third option order.

No, Options I and II for the orders have been taken. We're about to start receiving our last batch of R-160s which will be R-160A-1s and will be assigned to East New York which is NOT retire the remaining R-42 cars but will push them to another yard (Last report was Pitkin, but like we change our underwear daily, the MTA changes its mind daily).

The next three orders of trains (R179s, R188s and R195s) will start taking care of other equipment. The R-195s are YEARS away, we're talking like 2020 at the ABSOLUTE earliest. The R-179s are the next B division cars which will kill off the remaining R-32s, R-42s and R-44s, again we're at MINIMUM 2-3 years away from seeing that order come to fruition. Between Car Equipment and Budgeting's back and forth about the car length and what not, there has been very little movement towards actually signing a contract for these cars. The R-188s are suppose to be the cars that will allow 11-Car R-142s to operate on the (7), however there has been VERY little talk about these cars. I did hear an initial report of a R-142A to be tried on the (7) (AGAIN) this summer, the last time this happened the train got stuck in the Steinway tube, SMH.

is the R195 BMT/IND or IRT.

R179 is set to kill off R32 and R42 around 2013-2015

MTA is trying the get the R179 contract sign in october 2010 for primary for 200 cars , options of 220 cars

No because the (V) will be giving up nineteen trainsets of 46s and the two or three the (F) had left, so the (A) will be getting another 200 46 cars from Jamaica which will replace those 44s and the (A) will be all 46s

Why didn't the (MTA) purchase and take the option order 3 of 130 R160A's and 100 R160B's? That option order of R160's could of been useful as spares for the Jamaica yard, but i don't understand why did the (MTA) reject that order for?:cry:

It wasn't necessary. The R32, R38, R40 and R42 fleets combined were 1,600 cars. The R160 fleet with both options combined is 1,662 cars which is enough to retire all those fleets plus spares. This was the original plan.

How are the R160's going to replace the R44's when the (MTA) dosen't even have any more option orders of R160A's and R160B's after the option order 2 of R160's is complete?:confused:

They are keeping the remaining R32s and R42s to retire the R44s. This way there will be no net fleet reduction (not counting service cuts).

The R160s are now replacing R44s instead of the remaining R32s and R42s. At least 44 cars (8 scrapped, 12 at Pitkin, at LEAST 24 at concourse) have been either retired or put into storage so far, meaning there's at most 228 R44's left in service (out of the original 272). The elimination of the (V) will free up at least 15 trains (not counting spares), which will knock out another 120 R44s. There's another 80 R160's to enter service at Jamaica as well, which would free up another 64 R44's to retirement. I hate to get into such numbers as part of speculation but those three factors alone add up to 228 R44s out of 272. The ®'s fleet isn't affected much at all by the R44 retirement.

is the R195 BMT/IND or IRT.

R179 is set to kill off R32 and R42 around 2013-2015

MTA is trying the get the R179 contract sign in october 2010 for primary for 200 cars , options of 220 cars

We shouldn't start talking about the R195s if the R160 order isn't even over yet and the R179s are AT LEAST 2-3 years away.

It wasn't necessary. The R32, R38, R40 and R42 fleets combined were 1,600 cars. The R160 fleet with both options combined is 1,662 cars which is enough to retire all those fleets plus spares. This was the original plan.

They are keeping the remaining R32s and R42s to retire the R44s. This way there will be no net fleet reduction (not counting service cuts).

The R160s are now replacing R44s instead of the remaining R32s and R42s. At least 44 cars (8 scrapped, 12 at Pitkin, at LEAST 24 at concourse) have been either retired or put into storage so far, meaning there's at most 228 R44's left in service (out of the original 272). The elimination of the (V) will free up at least 15 trains (not counting spares), which will knock out another 120 R44s. There's another 80 R160's to enter service at Jamaica as well, which would free up another 64 R44's to retirement. I hate to get into such numbers as part of speculation but those three factors alone add up to 228 R44s out of 272. The ®'s fleet isn't affected much at all by the R44 retirement.

We shouldn't start talking about the R195s if the R160 order isn't even over yet and the R179s are AT LEAST 2-3 years away.

Agreed! you can say that again kris.:P

Actually, Jamaica Yard already has enough sets to operate 100% R-160 Sets on the (F) as on March 15th, 2010, the (F) line ran with 100% R-160s. The plan is to have the (F) go 100% R-160 (which is subject to change as operation desire), which its suppose to be by weeks end, with the remaining R-160 sets (4-5 sets) to operate between the (R) and (V) lines.

Whoa that's deep! Things are just changing left and right aren't they?

Why did the (MTA) even first made a third option order of R160's in the first place, since they knew it wasn't nessecary? Is it still possible for the (MTA) to get the third option order of R160's back, even though that order is dead?:P

Why did the (MTA) even first made a third option order of R160's in the first place, since they knew it wasn't nessecary? Is it still possible for the (MTA) to get the third option order of R160's back, even though that order is dead?:P

It appears from the outside looking in that the (MTA) didn't see that they were about to fall into the freefall that they are in when the talk of Option 3 was happening. I know it sounded like it was really going to happen late last year. As for whether the order will happen, as has been said many times to you, unless the (MTA) gets some serious money to get out of where they are, and that's HIGHLY unlikely, then no, the R160s will be a wrap after 9974 comes in. Even if they did get more funds, I don't think they'd even do the order now.

Someone please feel free to correct me if I am off anywhere in this but this is just what I gather to be the case.

I thought the government funded new car orders...?

New cars would be out of the capital budget, which is usually funded through federal, state, city and other local sources of funds. Right now the state and city aren't funding the (MTA)'s operating budget, so we could forget about it helping out in a new car order...

What about the (W) elimination? Even with the extended (Q), this will probably save 5 to 6 R160 trainsets at CIY, which can then be transferred to Jamaica Yard. This means another 48 cars (6 trainsets) of R46's that can be pushed out to 207th/Pitkin, retiring another 48 R44 cars. 228 + 48 = 276 cars -> all R44 cars retired.

Actually, Jamaica Yard already has enough sets to operate 100% R-160 Sets on the (F) as on March 15th, 2010, the (F) line ran with 100% R-160s. The plan is to have the (F) go 100% R-160 (which is subject to change as operation desire), which its suppose to be by weeks end, with the remaining R-160 sets (4-5 sets) to operate between the (R) and (V) lines.
Sorry to ask again, but how is this possible? According to the newest NYC Subway Car Datasheet (March 22nd), Jamaica has 730 R160 cars in active service. (E)+(F) altogether need 71 trainsets for rush hr service. So, only 2 spares left? It's kinda hard to believe... really no R46 rush hour put-ins on the (F)?

That number is at 740 now since a new R160B set (9903-9912) entered service on the (E). The (E) and (F) can both operate using 100% R160s but that's if few or no cars are out requiring work. Factoring in spares, the (E) and (F) run a total of 83 trains combined. When all the R160s enter service, Jamaica will have 81 trains of R160s, which will then be bumped up to 83 when CI returns their 2 R160 sets they borrowed from Jamaica for the Brighton line rehab project. Of course things may change if R160s indeed do go to the (R).

Thanks for the info.

Also, I'm interested as to why the (C) isn't extended to 10-car trains. 207th Street has 206 R32 cars, with 17 trainsets needed for (C) service. Extend the (C) to 10 cars, and 170 cars are needed for service with 36 spares remaining (= spare ratio of 21%).

As things are now, there are quite a few R32's at 207th St that aren't needed. Or are they going to mothball them?

Archived