Dispatcher accused of calling in sick for work for 10 days straight - from Florida

Harry

A Staten Island bus dispatcher booked a flight to Florida - and then called in sick from the Sunshine State day after day, transit sources said.

Giovanni Bonanno, 62, quickly retired last month, sources said, after NYC Transit officials accused him of lying about his sick time - a practice transit officials say is widespread in some pockets of the workforce.

"This kind of blatant abuse of the system costs the MTA millions of dollars each year and ... we will go to whatever lengths necessary to crack down on the minority of our employees who break the rules," Metropolitan Transportation Authority spokesman Jeremy Soffin said.

Sick time and leave abuse have been a particular problem on Staten Island, according to transit managers. Transit data reveal that a high percentage of bus division workers there claim to suffer from a chronic ailment, or have a seriously ill member of their immediate family who needs their care.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/04/14/2010-04-14_southern_exposure_mta_bus_dispatcher_accused_of_calling_in_sick_for_work__from_f.html#ixzz0l4pG6lZY

post-1-13328858173_thumb.jpg

post-1-13328858173_thumb.jpg

This is only the beginning look for the MTA to bring out a bit of the work forces "dirty laundry" to the press...

I told people this guy is bad news....

Oh you know him personally?

They're your sick days!!! The TA doesn't want you to use what is yours. How is it abuse if you are using days that you have accrued?

Well now that private industry has backed itself into a shithole, they have to do whatever they can to put the heat on everyone else.

A Staten Island bus dispatcher booked a flight to Florida - and then called in sick from the Sunshine State day after day, transit sources said.

Giovanni Bonanno, 62, quickly retired last month, sources said, after NYC Transit officials accused him of lying about his sick time - a practice transit officials say is widespread in some pockets of the workforce.

"This kind of blatant abuse of the system costs the MTA millions of dollars each year and ... we will go to whatever lengths necessary to crack down on the minority of our employees who break the rules," Metropolitan Transportation Authority spokesman Jeremy Soffin said.

Sick time and leave abuse have been a particular problem on Staten Island, according to transit managers. Transit data reveal that a high percentage of bus division workers there claim to suffer from a chronic ailment, or have a seriously ill member of their immediate family who needs their care.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/04/14/2010-04-14_southern_exposure_mta_bus_dispatcher_accused_of_calling_in_sick_for_work__from_f.html#ixzz0l4pG6lZY

yeah, any lengths alright, by running to the press...........lol.....the guy earned it, f*** it.......

meanwhile, ta only wants to pay you half your sick time when you retire......wtf is that?

rto man, you know anyone in the union? theres crazy things i hear this guy is going to push for in the next contract...........

in regards to walder being bad news, lets just say he has 2 things on his resume: he was in charge in some capacity when the london bombings occured in 05, and that he has had a very rocky relationship with the union over there.........

its fair to predict one of 2 things:

there is either going to be a transit strike during walders time here........

or there will be a major subway incident where people gets hurt............

yeah, any lengths alright, by running to the press...........lol.....the guy earned it, f*** it.......

meanwhile, ta only wants to pay you half your sick time when you retire......wtf is that?

rto man, you know anyone in the union? theres crazy things i hear this guy is going to push for in the next contract...........

in regards to walder being bad news, lets just say he has 2 things on his resume: he was in charge in some capacity when the london bombings occured in 05, and that he has had a very rocky relationship with the union over there.........

its fair to predict one of 2 things:

there is either going to be a transit strike during walders time here........

or there will be a major subway incident where people gets hurt............

That is something the union needs to air out in the public. Why do we get paid for half our sick time when we retire. Pay us all we accrued over the years.........

he retired good but it was reported that a high percentage of workers suffer from chronic ailments and illness with family members.i know when i was on the job some did has health conditions,or mom or pop was ill thank god there is famil medical leave act -fmla.if they did not have this many would be fired these are the only reaons that constitute fmla .they cant fire you if you are on it im so glad it exists.if not and you have a chronic condition or family member ill and keep calling out sick they will terminate you

That is something the union needs to air out in the public. Why do we get paid for half our sick time when we retire. Pay us all we accrued over the years.........

You don't get paid for half your sick time when you retire - you get paid for a quarter of it.

Assuming you have half of your sick time at retirement, you will get paid half of that.

You don't get paid for half your sick time when you retire - you get paid for a quarter of it.

Assuming you have half of your sick time at retirement, you will get paid half of that.

You get paid for half of the sick time you have left as long as you qualify with a minimum balance of 50% of your sick time. If you work 25 years and never take a sick day you'll have accumulated 300 sick days(which is 100% of your sick time). If you saved 75% or more of your sick time you can cash out 60% of it, meaning if you saved 300 sick days you're getting paid for 180 of them(60%).

You get paid for half of the sick time you have left as long as you qualify with a minimum balance of 50% of your sick time. If you work 25 years and never take a sick day you'll have accumulated 300 sick days(which is 100% of your sick time). If you saved 75% or more of your sick time you can cash out 60% of it, meaning if you saved 300 sick days you're getting paid for 180 of them(60%).

That is why the smart people maintain a 75% instead of a 100% to get their money's worth.plus, if you don't call sick for the whole year you can cash out 2 days.

Staten Island is turning into Sickout Island.

Another bus dispatcher from Staten Island has been caught calling in sick from a vacation spot - this time Puerto Rico, transit officials confirmed.

Bus dispatcher James Padilla was in the sunny Caribbean - about 1,600 miles away from his Staten Island depot - when he phoned to say he was too ill for duty on Thursday, April 1, and Friday, April 2, MTA officials said.

His scheduled vacation began the following Monday, according to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/04/19/2010-04-19_another_sick_bus_dispatcher_calls_in_to_si_depot_from_puerto_rico.html#ixzz0lYBgkSok

I have always said that about every job I worked at.

And we dont get full pay if we left the job on them so why not use whats ours!

Yup, the day I leave the NYC Department of Education, I would only get paid for half of my sick days. The funny thing is that, with the DOE I can only have certain amount of annual leave days accrued before they force me to use them or the days over the limit get put towards my sick leave. If they can do that, then why can't I use my sick leave whenever I want? Why not just put both into one lump amount of days and let you use them as you see fit?

Archived