What Got You into Transit?

gregorygrice

Everybody's Stories are so interesting! I'm glad to see that similar aspects brought us into the hobby!

The R40 Slant railfan window on the West End B. Good times...

Unfortunately such times can no longer be lived again :(:(

I feel you on that one:( I used to love the (L) Slants when I used to live in Brooklyn for a year when I was like 6

Well, I guess I rode the subway so much I started liking it. Then, I looked at fantasy maps.

When I was searching for some, I stumbled upon this site. That's how I came here!

Thats exactly how I found this site. I was searching for some more subway info, and now I'm here! This is a great place though:tup:

It started when I was in Kindergarten when we went on field trips to the aquarium via subway.From there it escalated to the mid 90s collecting bus and subway maps and receiving my first train sets.from there the rest is history.You can find out my complete history when It is released on DVD and Blu-Ray.:P

Lol maybe It'l be in 3D:p

But yeah my summer camp used to take trips to the Bronx zoo and we would take the (2) train. I remeber they used to clear out two cars for us.

Lets all thank this guy!!

thomas.jpg

Everybody's Stories are so interesting! I'm glad to see that similar aspects brought us into the hobby!

I feel you on that one:( I used to love the (L) Slants when I used to live in Brooklyn for a year when I was like 6

Thats exactly how I found this site. I was searching for some more subway info, and now I'm here! This is a great place though:tup:

Lol maybe It'l be in 3D:p

But yeah my summer camp used to take trips to the Bronx zoo and we would take the (2) train. I remeber they used to clear out two cars for us.

thomas.jpg

LOL thanks Thomas!!!

When I turned 30 last year, I asked my mom about how old I was when I got into buses because they were my first love. She told me that I loved them from the womb. LOL She said I always pointed at the buses when I was really small. My memory of loving the buses is around 3 with my great-grandparents apartment being on the 3rd floor and the window facing 2 different bus stops. Everytime I heard the bus at the stop, I literally stopped what I was doing and ran to the window in the living room and stared at the buses. Then my grandparents lived by the Bx12 on Fordham Rd and seeing the buses there was dynamite to me too! When my mom or grandma took me to the park, I remember trying to touch the bus when it was sitting at Sedgwick Ave and my mom or grandma having to chase me. LOL I loved how they looked and how they sounded. The sound of the buses always thrilled me, even though I don't know much about engines to this day. Some of my interest in buses waned a little bit when I got into the subway but it came back big time 2 years ago when I met the friends that I know now who are like me and know so much about all of this stuff. I feel like a kid in school

I liked trains too but I didn't love them until I was 10 and my mom had gotten me my 2nd subway map. When I opened it up, it was like a revelation had hit me about how big and vast the subway was. I looked at how long and how far subway lines went and I was in another world. If it involved trains on TV, I watched it, including Thomas the Tank Engine. After I watched it, I would always imagine what it would be like if our subways could talk, like a redbird having a conversation with a R62 back in 1990. LOL The interest grew more and more each year thanks to stuff like that, going to The Transit Museum and exploring the system.

It amazes me how much I'm into transit now at 31 as I was at 5 or 13 but I know so much more, I have great memories and I have met some great people, some who have become my friends and I'm sure there will be more along the way. I'm proud to call myself a Transit Buff. This is like no other hobby out there like this one.

my liking for transit started when i was about 9-ish. i lived by the Ralph Av (C) station and i was always the 1st one at the RFW. around that time was also when i was able to tell how far apart the (C) was when on the (A) (now that i look back at it, it seemedd pretty primitive but it still works). then as soon as i was able to travel by myself at age 13, that's when it grew. by that time, i remembered every stop on the (A)(C)(J)(Z)(1) by heart and i was mainly on those lines (my 1st railfan experiences). by age 16, i remembered every line (except for the (2)) and i was able to tell every car apart on the active roster. at 18, i found out about nycsubway.org and a few months later, i found out about this site

I got into transit only because my dad is a T/O and shows me everything (well, almost everything.) I remember when I was riding the train with him on an R40 Slant when I never knew there was a window out in the front, which got me into these things.

When I was 3, I lived near the Broadway El. Then I moved to Ridgewood and I'm right by the FP station on the (M2). I have a great view of the yard. When I was young I rode the 42s with my mom up on the RFW between FP and Mytrle just for the heck of it! I started high school this year which is in Astoria. So I ride the train alot. I'm on it 3 hours a day. It sorta my getaway from stress at home and school. The subway started to interest me more and I started reading about the history, then I found these forums and I became a railfan! Everday i ride an R160A-1, R143, R46, R62A and R160B on my commute to school

I don't exactly remember how I started getting interested in buses and trains, but I grew up near the 145 Street IND station near the 147 Street exit until I was 14. My interest probably grew since I would ride the subway when I was younger. My mom recalls me trying to pull her into the subway station to convince us to ride the subway even if we did not have to take the subway. I don't recall how I got interested in buses, but I do remember wanting to drive the LP route in Pittsburgh when I was a kid.

Can't blame ya. Good to talk to those who know about the job firsthand and learn the nooks and crannies. And we're never too old to learn.

With the stone-age some of them come into here, you know some are not to old to learn. I think some of them were around when steam trains ran the EL's, and the rest were there when the subway was the "pneumatic tube"........

thomas.jpg

I never watched Thomas the "sugar in his" Tank Engine.........

With the stone-age some of them come into here, you know some are not to old to learn. I think some of them were around when steam trains ran the EL's, and the rest were there when the subway was the "pneumatic tube"........

I never watched Thomas the "sugar in his" Tank Engine.........

LMAO!!!

That's sum wishful thinking in bold and underline...

what, you think girls can't be into trains and buses? lol...

anyway, i got interested in transit when i got into high school. when you use something everyday, people usually take it for granted. but i just got really interested in everything. seeing all the different types of buses and train cars was really cool. i doodle in school a lot and occasionally i'll find myself drawing an r46 or r40. the slants are my favorite to draw, lol. the only downside to this is the average high school guy's ability to make anything into an innuendo..

what, you think girls can't be into trains and buses? lol...

He exaggerates to make a point, but I think if everyone were honest about their gender on these forums an overwhelming majority would be male.

To exercise my dramatic license, I would characterize trains as crude macho brutes—big things with scars and dents as if they had been brawling all their lives. They’ll stomp their way to their destinations running everything down in its path. Sometimes they’ll make ear-piercing noises to doubly warn others of its presence. Few will actually kill, but those challenging them might lose a limb or two if they live.

Given the double standards of this world, liking trains (and maybe even buses) the way most of you do would definitely be considered unlady-like, and I'm sure a lot of you have this nagging feeling that SubwayGuy is right even if he's just exaggerating.

If ladies had their way with trains, the interior would—first of all—be…

When I was 3, I lived near the Broadway El. Then I moved to Ridgewood and I'm right by the FP station on the (M2). I have a great view of the yard. When I was young I rode the 42s with my mom up on the RFW between FP and Mytrle just for the heck of it! I started high school this year which is in Astoria. So I ride the train alot. I'm on it 3 hours a day. It sorta my getaway from stress at home and school. The subway started to interest me more and I started reading about the history, then I found these forums and I became a railfan! Everday i ride an R160A-1, R143, R46, R62A and R160B on my commute to school

You are so lucky to have a view of the yard. If anything, I would love to live by the Coney Island yard. Also, riding the train back and forth also releases some stress from me at home.

He exaggerates to make a point, but I think if everyone were honest about their gender on these forums an overwhelming majority would be male.

To exercise my dramatic license, I would characterize trains as crude macho brutes—big things with scars and dents as if they had been brawling all their lives. They’ll stomp their way to their destinations running everything down in its path. Sometimes they’ll make ear-piercing noises to doubly warn others of its presence. Few will actually kill, but those challenging them might lose a limb or two if they live.

Given the double standards of this world, liking trains (and maybe even buses) the way most of you do would definitely be considered unlady-like, and I'm sure a lot of you have this nagging feeling that SubwayGuy is right even if he's just exaggerating.

If ladies had their way with trains, the interior would—first of all—be…

Bingo. I'm glad my sarcastic mockery of the railiens did not go unnoticed.

Next time you're on a trip - ANY one of you - LOOK AROUND. Just take a step back and remember this is a hobby. What you see before you will now seem comical.

I cannot TELL you how many times I've seen a railien go up to a pretty girl and bore the living shit out of her by talking nonsense about the train.

Archived