What would you think of....?

JubaionBx12+SBS

I have to agree with St. Louis Car and Cait Sith on this: as nice as the idea sounds the bus would only be good on long straightaways and areas with very wide turns. The problem is, I know of no route in New York that does not have at least one problematic turn on it; even the Bx12 SBS has to make tight turns at Inwood that I am pretty sure a three-segmented bus would be unable to handle. Second, where do you plan to locate propulsion on this bus? If you do it in the back and do a push-push configuration you will wind up jackknifing relatively often because the front will turn while the engine continues to push forward. If you try a push-pull configuration you will wind up with a free-swinging back and that will present its own problems.

Mmmm, it can work, its just a matter of making more room for the bus stops for whatever line they'll run on.

See, a few of you are saying no because it'll need a lot of space to turn. Thats not true, you have to learn the science of an articulated bus. The trailer (rear section) follows what the tractor (front section) does. With a double articualted bus, it would basically have 2 trailers, so the first trailer will follow the tractor, and the second trailer will follow the first trailer.

The only problem is a depot to handle them. Gun Hill probably can with the lot they have.

They can run in NYC, but operational wise, thats up in the air.

They don't even allow those triple trailers on northeast roads, so I think a bus like that would be out in the cities.

I've seen "3-section-trucks" on I-78 (popular truck route @ night) in PA & NJ as well as near JFK, if that's what you're referring to.

Main Truck-Trailer-Trailer

Main Bus-Trailer-Trailer

I've seen "3-section-trucks" on I-78 (popular truck route @ night) in PA & NJ as well as near JFK, if that's what you're referring to.

Main Truck-Trailer-Trailer

Main Bus-Trailer-Trailer

Well, they must have eased up on restrictions for some roads. I think the NJ Turnpike and 95 don't allow them.

How about Camellos, then:

Camel_bus_in_Havana.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I find the Camello idea rather interesting but a major pain in the ass in terms of loading (the passenger section looks like it only has one door) and fare collection (you would need a second person in the passenger section to monitor fares). Back to the 80' doubly articulated bus: the only way I can think of surmounting the turning issues would be a dual drivetrain. The best way to do that would be to make the bus high floor and have two relatively powerful engines, one mounted in the front under the floor and the other mounted in the rear in an LFSA-type configuration. In terms of turning, you would need to give it five axles, applying power to the second and fourth axles. The first axle would have power steering controlled directly by the steering wheel and the fifth axle would have an automated power steering system that uses sensors to determine how far the steering wheel has turned and then turns the fifth axle to match the first. If the drivetrain were configured like that, then such a bus might be feasible.

• 2 weeks later...

So you basically want something the size of a R44 that can bend running down NYC streets?

Feasible: yes

In NYC: no

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Archived