what bus(es) would you like to preserve

Novabus 5000

i only saw these buses like one time...... what happen to them?!?!?!?

It had too many maintenance issues, and was sent back to Nova. MTA ordered 4, 2 were built, but only one was delivered. Don't know what the ride was like because I was never lucky enough to catch it. I only saw it once on 5th Av. I had to save these pics when I saw it on TTMG. Trever Logan and a few others have some excellent shots over there! There is also a Gillig Hybrid posted over there that I like.

• 1 month later...

I would preserve 5407 D60HF since it's one of a kind, I wonder what year it really is. I would also preserve 5755, but I can't find the bus at all so I don't know what happened to it. It's not in the Bronx anymore? :P

I would preserve 5407 D60HF since it's one of a kind, I wonder what year it really is. I would also preserve 5755, but I can't find the bus at all so I don't know what happened to it. It's not in the Bronx anymore? :P

5755 is now at the 100st Depot, and to my knowlege 5407 is a 2000 model.

5407 is a 2000 unit. While in $hit shape at Kingsbridge (thank goodness for the introduction of Level II these days), including a gunshot in a window, the bus was taken from Kingsbridge and rebuilt several years ago with the specifications of a 2002-2004 unit, namely larger/different engine specs (which account for it sounding like a 2002-04 model instead of a 1996-2000 model). It also received LED turn signals in front and on the side along with LED emergency flashers like the 2002-04s. The bus was rebuilt as the prototype for the 2002-04 series before those came in. Then I think it was sent to either Quill, 100 Street, or West Farms after that post-Kingsbridge overhaul, then just a couple of years ago to Gun Hill, where it is now.

409 is a similar case yet in quite a converse way, not sure what happened to it that warranted this but it's been overhauled with LED marker lights, LED emergency flashers, and LED turn signals like the 1999 series. Also received cloth seating inserts like the 1999 series, but I'm not sure about other aspects of the interior like the color of the destination sign cover and the emergency handle cover (normally beige on 1993-96 series and black on 1999 series). But it kept the older engine and the hole in the roof exhaust along with the fluorescent backlit flipdot signs. So you have 5407 which had nothing changed except front/side turn signals and the engine, while 409 had almost all signaling/marker lights changed out along with the interior, yet not the signs or the engine.

And the bus I would save is MTA Bus #7904 (Liberty #3109), last Classic to run out of Yonkers (I grew up on the Liberty Lines), and NYCT #454. 452-458 are 1995 O5s original to Jackie Gleason depot, these buses basically followed me from route B35 (Gleason), and my parents lived on Church Avenue, to the Kingsbridge routes they work today (except 456 which is still in Stengel). I like 1995 O5s because they sound nice and have an old feel to them, and I like 454 because it's still a street exhaust and still has the old interior numbers. It's a cool bus. 453 is the only other street exhaust among 452-458 but it has new interior numbers and breaks down quite a bit. I don't like that bus.

If I could only get one though, 3109 is top priority over 454.

So you have 5407 which had nothing changed except front/side turn signals and the engine
The rear end from the 5407 bulges out less than those EGR D60HF's too, and the burn marks by the engine's vent is darker than I am! :eek: The other difference is by the rear blinkers (where its like a corner) is more rounded out too. I'll try and hunt it down tomorrow to try and post a pic. :cool:

• 2 months later...
They should of keep it. Makes it look brand new
You already know MTA sucks at making choices on buses... Theres a CNG fueling station at JFK and guess what? The JFK depot is full of diesel buses.

Archived