Bus drivers please read, for it will help others on this site

Chris Frusci

does mabstoa and nyc have the same exact contract now that they've merged and does mabstoa have the opportunity to eventually go on w/ promotional civil service exams as nyct?

TA personnel can take TA Promo exams (your title entails what promos you can take). OA personnel can only take OA promo exams. OA B/Os who become dispatchers, only work OA lines, and same for TA B/O who get promoted to dispatcher (TA lines only). They do have in their new contract, that they will work with each other (OA, TA, and MTA Bus). Will we ever see it....maybe.......

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The major reason why a full merger will never happen. MTA would love it, but the unions won't let it.......

That is dead on 100% accurate. I got this from a Triboro coach bus operator from another website:

"I to come to work, do my job the best I can and this is the thanks I get.A pension that is a joke,constant ball breaking and no respect.This job is becoming another dead end job,no future.people take these jobs for the benefits but they are disappearing quickly.I personally have decided I don't want to ride this storm any longer,I just have to see what this contract look's like before I freeze my pension.On this job I went from a 36in waist to a 42... Have high blood pressure which I never had before am constantly stressed out, all for 23bucks an hr.Today I didn't get out of the seat for 4 hrs."

That is dead on 100% accurate. I got this from a Triboro coach bus operator from another website:

"I to come to work, do my job the best I can and this is the thanks I get.A pension that is a joke,constant ball breaking and no respect.This job is becoming another dead end job,no future.people take these jobs for the benefits but they are disappearing quickly.I personally have decided I don't want to ride this storm any longer,I just have to see what this contract look's like before I freeze my pension.On this job I went from a 36in waist to a 42... Have high blood pressure which I never had before am constantly stressed out, all for 23bucks an hr.Today I didn't get out of the seat for 4 hrs."

He is 100% correct. For me I lost weight, but now have seem to gained 5 lbs back. Still at my Ideal weight at a buck fiddy. I do have right knee pain, and back leg pains, from holding down that brake pedal, just like our bretheran. Working as a B/O is the most stressful job anyone can do for a transit agency. Most operators will have knee or hip replacement, alot get diabetes, alot get back problems, high blood pressure alot will get. All of these are fortes for B/O at any transit agency. There are times when i worked that M100, and haven't gotten from behind the wheel from 1514 to 1910. Nearly 4 hours. Last time this happened 2 weeks ago, I called a personal on their a$$. Never done this in 2 years 3 months, but I wasn't beating the heck out of myself anymore , since I am out of here soon..........

He is 100% correct. For me I lost weight, but now have seem to gained 5 lbs back. Still at my Ideal weight at a buck fiddy. I do have right knee pain, and back leg pains, from holding down that brake pedal, just like our bretheran. Working as a B/O is the most stressful job anyone can do for a transit agency. Most operators will have knee or hip replacement, alot get diabetes, alot get back problems, high blood pressure alot will get. All of these are fortes for B/O at any transit agency. There are times when i worked that M100, and haven't gotten from behind the wheel from 1514 to 1910. Nearly 4 hours. Last time this happened 2 weeks ago, I called a personal on their a$$. Never done this in 2 years 3 months, but I wasn't beating the heck out of myself anymore , since I am out of here soon..........

Those health issues would apply for OTR bus operators as well. So even if one took more frequent breaks,stretched would that make a slight difference?

At a red light,wouldn't it be easier to pull out the parking brake rather than holding the brake pedal with your foot? Before power steering came along,bus drivers had to really use their strenght to turn the wheel....why are the steering wheels on transit buses so big? is it because of the size of the wheels?

Those health issues would apply for OTR bus operators as well. So even if one took more frequent breaks,stretched would that make a slight difference?

At a red light,wouldn't it be easier to pull out the parking brake rather than holding the brake pedal with your foot? Before power steering came along,bus drivers had to really use their strenght to turn the wheel....why are the steering wheels on transit buses so big? is it because of the size of the wheels?

Difference with OTR coach driving is you usually are going forward, not stopping so much. You will become a blimp though......

The red light, it depends on how long the light is. A good thing to do (I do it), is when you come to a long red light, or a packed bus stop, "rest your leg". That means put on the parking brake. I make it habit to stretch my right leg, and use my fingers to massage my right knee (front and back).

As for the size of the wheel, I guess tire size = wheels size. Orion VII have the smallest bus steering wheels I have driven yet, and MCI E and J models, have smallest coach steering wheels I have driven..........

• 3 weeks later...
Anything new for anybody? DOB2RTO?

Nope....I hear of nothing yet for any MTA position, and it seems the mta.info page, says no promotional exams for filing, under the O/C filing link.....http://mta.info/nyct/hr/compete.htm........

Anything new for anybody? DOB2RTO?

They are at #484 for DSNY exam #6063,just 2 classes so far,there should be at least 1 or hopefully 2 more by the end of this year. They say that the list moves fast,maybe it does for the higher numbers.

Chris,since you are from Staten Island,you know a lot about garbage,lol. How does one go about getting a job in private sanitation? I don't have any connections,do I go to the union office and ask? They make more money than DSNY starting out,at least the companies that are in the teamsters local 813.

Even as a helper would be ok,since I have had my CDL B for just 2-3 months.

Would some green paper in a dark envelope get me in? Thanks

Chris,since you are from Staten Island,you know a lot about garbage,lol. How does one go about getting a job in private sanitation? I don't have any connections,do I go to the union office and ask? They make more money than DSNY starting out,at least the companies that are in the teamsters local 813.

Even as a helper would be ok,since I have had my CDL B for just 2-3 months.

Would some green paper in a dark envelope get me in? Thanks

Mafioso.........

Haha,Rudy G wiped the mob out from that industry. It is now regulated by the nyc waste trade commision. They have set rates for commercial establishments. You see Mr RTO I want to work with garbage that doesn't talk back to you. :P

Ever try to send an online resume/application into Waste Management?????

Ever try to send an online resume/application into Waste Management?????

I did that already,filled out a form online. Action carting bought all of Waste Managements accounts. I look at the classifieds but most job openings aren't advertised. Trying to track down somebody who I went to elementary school with whose family used to own a private sanitation company. Yes,it is all about networking isn't it?

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys I took Bus Operator Exam number 5025. My list number is 18* when I got called for the medical, I was in the process of being accused of committing a hit-and-run. So I couldn't take the medical. I then plead guilty to disorderly conduct(advised to by my lawyer) and recieved no violations on my license or points. After I showed Transit my court disposition I had to go to DCAS and re-instate myself on the list. I haven't heard anything from them since. I am also on the list for B/O for MTAB and OA. TA would be ideal for me though because I could literally walk to QV depot. What should I do? I think I am not hearing anything from them because of the freeze on hiring Bus Operators am I right?

Could be that, or it could be your new record. Points and nothing on your driving record, is for traffic/civil court, and just violations, but pleading guilty to disorderly conduct, is a criminal offense. They do background checks, and do question ones character, especially with B/Os.........

It wasnt a criminal offense. I have a clean driver's license. I'm a college student and I work on Fifth Ave. in a high-end retail store. I deal with people ranging from Stevie Wonder to Homeless people. I don't have character issues. I just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I've wanted the B/O job since I was young. I just wonder what is the hold up.

It wasnt a criminal offense. I have a clean driver's license. I'm a college student and I work on Fifth Ave. in a high-end retail store. I deal with people ranging from Stevie Wonder to Homeless people. I don't have character issues. I just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I've wanted the B/O job since I was young. I just wonder what is the hold up.

Disorderly conduct is a misdemeanor,it is a crime nevertheless. Being accused of a hit and run sounds pretty serious to me. I think there is more to this story.

• 5 months later...

I took the test almost a year ago for the 8006. I scored 81.250. I guess I didn't do too bad for a guy that didn't read the CDL handbook nor have any prior knowledge on driving buses/trucks =) I can't wait for til the day to be called so I can quit my job at the DMV!!

I took the test almost a year ago for the 8006. I scored 81.250. I guess I didn't do too bad for a guy that didn't read the CDL handbook nor have any prior knowledge on driving buses/trucks =) I can't wait for til the day to be called so I can quit my job at the DMV!!

yes I took the test in april last year for the 8006 and my scored is 80.00.

not too bad.

I was speaking to a bus driver on the express line from co-op city. He told me that each test were different. It depends on which bus company is offering it. If I took the 8006 test and it was given by NYC Transit. Does anyone know if I'll be going after local bus or express bus? I would rather drive the express bus than the local.

I was speaking to a bus driver on the express line from co-op city. He told me that each test were different. It depends on which bus company is offering it. If I took the 8006 test and it was given by NYC Transit. Does anyone know if I'll be going after local bus or express bus? I would rather drive the express bus than the local.

There is no separate test for each, and advise people to know that some of those old timers from the private lines who merged into MTA Bus, really don't have a clue how hiring works for MTA, unless they were hired from the street by MTA. MTA will be the one who hires you, depending on what depot is open, that is will you will work. If MTA Bus needs operators, they will ask you if you would like to fill out an application for them too, and which ever hires first will take you (with your approval). There is no local bus, or express bus separation. If the depot you go into has local buses only, that is what you will drive. If it has only express buses, that is what you will drive. If they have both, you will train and qualify on both of those buses, and will operate both in customer service. MTA Bus and NYCT (TA) has both local and express buses......

There is no ifs and or buts on this, this is how it works. Have to put it this way, so there is absolutely no confusion..........

Thanks for straightening that up for me. Another question that I have is... Do they call you or send you something in the mail when they reach you on the list? I have changed my contact number since my test and I am worried that they might not be able to reach me if they call.

Archived