Bus drivers please read, for it will help others on this site

Chris Frusci

Thanks for straightening that up for me. Another question that I have is... Do they call you or send you something in the mail when they reach you on the list? I have changed my contact number since my test and I am worried that they might not be able to reach me if they call.

First thing they do is send you a letter in the mail........

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Chris & DOB2RTO as well as Locomothion69 I'm new to this site.

But I want to thank you all for the help that you have been giving to everyone on here.

reading the experiences, seeing how you stayed in a sence with each one walking them through each step. it was a bit hard to hold back the joyful tears when someone made it through. and sad for those who didn't. I hope you will continue to be there for us who are still trying. Like myself. I past for exam 5025. I past the BOSS last year in Feb. I would have started the 7/10 day training in march 2008. But my Lic was only two years. I was in the first 1500 they called. I was so sad until I learned about this site. I have learned a lot. And it's good to know if all goes well. that for the most part my co-worker's are so cool be it B/O or T/O.

you realy care and look out for each other. new or old. Out side of the pay. To me the additude you show. makes the hard work to be done. worth fighting for.

04-16-09 I had my list number restored. I was told that I maybe called at any time now time. most likely by mail. to report. I Think I read most of the info you gave on here. But I still has some questions. you may have answered them already some where. if so please tell me where to go on here so I can read it. thank you.

can you tell me about the 7-10 days and do you have to report to zarega at 6 am for all ten ten days. or at the different times. 7 or 10 am.

Hi Chris & DOB2RTO as well as Locomothion69 I'm new to this site.

But I want to thank you all for the help that you have been giving to everyone on here.

reading the experiences, seeing how you stayed in a sence with each one walking them through each step. it was a bit hard to hold back the joyful tears when someone made it through. and sad for those who didn't. I hope you will continue to be there for us who are still trying. Like myself. I past for exam 5025. I past the BOSS last year in Feb. I would have started the 7/10 day training in march 2008. But my Lic was only two years. I was in the first 1500 they called. I was so sad until I learned about this site. I have learned a lot. And it's good to know if all goes well. that for the most part my co-worker's are so cool be it B/O or T/O.

you realy care and look out for each other. new or old. Out side of the pay. To me the additude you show. makes the hard work to be done. worth fighting for.

04-16-09 I had my list number restored. I was told that I maybe called at any time now time. most likely by mail. to report. I Think I read most of the info you gave on here. But I still has some questions. you may have answered them already some where. if so please tell me where to go on here so I can read it. thank you.

can you tell me about the 7-10 days and do you have to report to zarega at 6 am for all ten ten days. or at the different times. 7 or 10 am.

Today sure was a lovelyday. For the record Chris and DOB2RTO are on the job,I am just a list number on the #8006 list. Congrats on getting your list # restored. Please keep us updated,we all try to help each other on here.

You go to 750 Zerega Ave in the Bronx for 1 day only. I am not sure about the time to report there.

Training is pretty thorough, and they show you everything you need to know. They give you 7-10 days of training. You have the chance to qualify for the MTA after 7 days of training. If you fail, they give you another training day on day 8, and then another road test on day 9. If the road test on day 9 is failed, then they give you a last one on day 10.

O I thought I had to go to zarega all ten days at 6:00 am. See that’s why I thanked you to. locomotion69. You gave some answers to something also, and you asked a lot of the right question. That most people have wondered about. or would have asked if you didn't.

I want to learn everything I need to know. I have my BPS & Air Brakes already.

But to me that’s holds no weight at all. because I didn't get it through TA. so I want to have TA's way of doing things well in mind. are we able to talk about the 7-10 day training like that. like driving through the Train pillars. both hand on the wheel push pull.

etc. what happens during the 10 days. what will they have us do. & where will they take us. you said we only go to zarega 1 day. ok where will we go for the other nine days.

I need to know because I'm in BK and I don't have a car. so I need to figure out how to get there. So I’ll know what time I need to leave my house so as to be there on time.

I understand that for training we have to dress like a B/O.

Where do I need to go to get the right clothes for training.

O' lol and what kind of shoes.:P Thank you all again

Thank you for that info ditja. (yes I have my CDL, B.P,S & Air Brakes. I wish I had known about the forum back when I was going for it.... it was a lonely time for me because I did not have people to talk to about it. so as to ask question. like on this site for support.

Out of all the questions that you asked I can only answer 1 of them. Bx22 stops on Castle Hill Ave,just a couple of blocks away from 750 Zerega Ave. Not going to be easy getting there unless you can arrange a carpool with another student. Getting there by car should be the easiest way to get there. No subways near there. The 6 line stops at Zerega Ave/Westchester Ave,about a mile away.

thats true it takes a long time to get there i live in ozone park and was taking the a train then #6 train then the bus then had to walk about 5-6 long blocks to training center it took my 2 and a half hours to get there i did that for 4 days until some other guys told me take the q44 from archer ave to bronx zoo it took 1 hour and only had to walk through sanitation lot to traning center so i took the q8 to jamaica 168st then q 44 to zerega total time 1hour 30 minutes the 2 hours i saved roundtrip by train helped out a lot this is if you live near me ozone park,jamaica,richmondhill etc

thats true it takes a long time to get there i live in ozone park and was taking the a train then #6 train then the bus then had to walk about 5-6 long blocks to training center it took my 2 and a half hours to get there i did that for 4 days until some other guys told me take the q44 from archer ave to bronx zoo it took 1 hour and only had to walk through sanitation lot to traning center so i took the q8 to jamaica 168st then q 44 to zerega total time 1hour 30 minutes the 2 hours i saved roundtrip by train helped out a lot this is if you live near me ozone park,jamaica,richmondhill etc

Did you have to be there at 6:00am for those 4 days? How far away are the Castle Hill projects from the training center?

At least 180 Livingston St isn't so bad to get to,you have subways and buses all around there. Going by car must be hard due to lack of street parking.

i cant answer that i guess you would have to look at the mta map and schdules make sure that the buses are running you got to be sure of the times i am not familar with the castle hill area and yes 6.00 am report but then they changed it to 7.00 am you cant be late and if you are due to traffic on the bus get the bus number and route and the time the bus came to pick you up and drop you off but i would not show up late they let go 4 students for being late i think 2-3 times better to be early they take the report time serious there

Did you have to be there at 6:00am for those 4 days? How far away are the Castle Hill projects from the training center?

At least 180 Livingston St isn't so bad to get to,you have subways and buses all around there. Going by car must be hard due to lack of street parking.

u MUST be on time, period. get there at least 1 hour early, just in case whatever happen. that's what i did, got there 1 hour early rather than being late 1 min. i drove to there. there are a lot of parking spaces. if you can't find parking near, drive down 2 to 3 blocks. there is a park around that has parking space.

As far as I know she said her list number was reinstated. I think this is for the 5025 list. Maybe she knows something that we don't.

Hi everybody, I'm a bit lost about what is going on myself

My list # from exam 5025 was restored last week. I was told then as well as on friday.

April 24 2009 by DCAS. That they could call me at anytime now maybe with in a month from now. The last person I spoke to said He could not give me a day and time, but he said it will be soon. I past the BOSS last year. But I had to wait until my License hit 3 ysr's, which is why my # had to be restored. So they had me wait to do the Med, or Drug Test. DCAS told me to look for a letter to come in the mail telling me to go down there to take it. Right now that is all that I know. which is not much at all.

Is anyone here from 5025 who has not been called yet or who has been called maybe recent information? All I seem to find is information about 8006. Thanks

Looks like the #8006 people have taken over in here,now it is our time,lol. Seriously though where are the #5025 people? I hope they finish that list before it expires in the fall of 2011.

If they decide to have another B/O exam in 2012,all hell will break loose. 3 hiring lists out there,we don't need another one.

I know things look bad now Gabchi,but I would be shocked if they don't at least have 1 B/O class for this year.

Hi Forum Members,

I am on the 8006 list for Bus Operator and have a list number of 24X. I have been called down for the BOSS exam on May 11, 2009.

I have had an out of state and a New York state license in the last 3 years. All were valid to drive in NYC. None are CDL. Is the criteria that I have to specifically have a NY State Driver License for the last 3 years, or will any driver license that would be legal in NYC do? No DWI, or suspensions. I just lived out of State for a few years and haven't been back for quite 3 years yet.

Also, on the physical, are there any performance tests? Jump up and down, touch your toes, etc? What kind of hearing test is administered, if any?

Any tips, do's or don'ts, for this BOSS test/section would be well received.

Thanks for your help.

-The Fatman

No I am looking for 5025 to lol.

LOL, very true. I forgot. I can't believe that all who were on the boards a year ago have not been on in regards to the 5025 though. My husband's list number is in 3000's. I know they hired up to 2795. No call yet for drug or medical.

LOL, very true. I forgot. I can't believe that all who were on the boards a year ago have not been on in regards to the 5025 though. My husband's list number is in 3000's. I know they hired up to 2795. No call yet for drug or medical.

Gabchi: The longer the waiting goes on for your list(5025)the faster the list will go once hiring resumes. People give up waiting,etc. About that person who said there are 2 classes in training right now,it is probably for MTA Bus(the former private lines).

Fat man sitting: You need to at least have your CDL Permit before going through the hiring process. They will not let you drive the training bus without one.

You need to take and pass these 3 written tests at your local DMV office.(1)General Knowledge (2)Air brakes (3)passenger.

Fat man sitting: You need to at least have your CDL Permit before going through the hiring process. They will not let you drive the training bus without one.

You need to take and pass these 3 written tests at your local DMV office.(1)General Knowledge (2)Air brakes (3)passenger.

Thanks Locomotion69 for your reply. Do I need those 3 tests passed before I take the BOSS or can I get them after that? How long would I have to get them after the BOSS if that is allowed? I am in college and finals are approaching. I would prefer to study for the CDL Permit and Endorsements after finals, but my priority is to get the BO job. Thanks again for the insights. :tup:

EDIT: I re-read that and you clearly state before going through the hiring process so I have my answer. I went to the DCAS site and pulled the Test Announcement from the archive and it also clearly states:

READ CAREFULLY AND SAVE FOR FUTURE REFERENCE

Driver License Requirements: You must possess a motor vehicle driver license valid in the State of New York

for at least three years immediately prior to the date you are appointed to this position. If you have serious

moving violations, license suspension or an accident record, you may be disqualified. Additionally, you must

have either:

1. a Class B Commercial Driver License valid in the State of New York with a passenger

endorsement and no restrictions that would preclude the performance of Bus Operator work;

or

2. a Learner’s Permit for a Class B Commercial Driver License valid in the State of New York

with a passenger endorsement and no restrictions that would preclude the performance of Bus Operator work.

If you are appointed under "2" above, you must obtain the Class B Commercial Driver License during the

training program in bus operation. (See “Additional Information” section, below.)

The Class B Commercial Driver License valid in the State of New York with a passenger endorsement and no

restrictions that would preclude the performance of Bus Operator work must be maintained for the duration of

employment.

My workload during finals just went up...

I'm still looking for input on my other queries:

1) Is the criteria that I have to specifically have a NY State Driver License for the last 3 years, or will any driver license that would be legal in NYC do? No DWI, or suspensions. I just lived out of State for a few years and haven't been back for quite 3 years yet.

2) On the physical/medical, are there any performance tests? Jump up and down, touch your toes, etc? What kind of hearing test is administered? Someone whispering in a room, a headset with tones, or something else?

Thanks again for help on this and thanks to those who posted earlier in this thread providing a great source of info.

Archived