MTA Bus changes, (lots of them in this month)

w8Hou

Here's the overview on the changes coming soon:

July 2010:

Downtown Flushing, Queens overhaul

Bus stops, Drop off points and bus route travel revisions changes affects:

N20, N21, Q12, Q15, Q17, Q20A, Q20B, Q26, Q27, and Q44 routes

Will be interesting too see some chaos in the area with the changes

September 2010:

QBx1 will be restructure into two new routes:

- New Q50 Limited Stop service runs between Co-Op City or Pelham Bay Park station - Flushing, Queens

- New Bx23 Local service runs between Pelham Bay Park station and Co-Op City.

N19 Eastbound travel path revision in Babylon LIRR station

Proposed 38 bus routes schedule changes are:

- Bronx: BX1, BX2, BX3, BX11, BX18, BX19, BX27, BX32, BX35

- Manhattan: M1, M2, M3, M4, M16, M34, M35, M60, M66, M100

- Brooklyn: B6, B9, B11, B14, B17, B43, B44, B46, B49

- Queens: Q12, Q20A/B, Q32, Q44, Q46, Q58, Q88

- Staten Island: S46/S96, S53, S62/S92, S79, S89

Fall 2010

Bx1 and Bx2 changes

- Bx1 will be the only one Limited-Stop only under the Limited Stop hours

- Bx2 will be Local service through the entire route, no more Limited for Bx2.

More info go to the download link: http://mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/100621_1115_BUS.pdf

I don't understand the QBx1 thing. So is the Q50 the new name, but same route?

Thats what it looks like, I think the Bx23 is there to ease the load considering the QBx1 gets crowded going to Pelham Bay and back.

I don't understand the QBx1 thing. So is the Q50 the new name, but same route?

Thats what it looks like, I think the Bx23 is there to ease the load considering the QBx1 gets crowded going to Pelham Bay and back.

From what I understand they're "splitting" the Bronx-only portion (Bx23) from the interborough portion (Q50). And they're making a small route change to the Q50, but otherwise this looks like a simple name change to me.

Thread started by Rokusix, regarding the Q50 & the bx23 (4 pages long)

http://nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20310

^^ should ease the confusion....

------------------

anyway, I was thinking about creating a thread, posting all of the changes in detail, that's set to happen at... well, the end of the week (yeh, it's winding down to days now)...

regardless, good lookin out w8hou.

From what I understand they're "splitting" the Bronx-only portion (Bx23) from the interborough portion (Q50). And they're making a small route change to the Q50, but otherwise this looks like a simple name change to me.

That is so retarted. The Bx23 should be the Pelham-Co-Op route while the Q50 route should be the Flushing-Bay Plaza route. I could understand the Bx2 no longer being a limited

I could understand the Bx2 no longer being a limited

agreed....

as much as GC needs the service, there was no need for a Bx1 local & LTD... and a Bx2 local & LTD... I don't see this as a major hit at all... matter fact, I bet riders would barely notice....

long as there's 2 routes on GC, it should be all good up there...

That is so retarted. The Bx23 should be the Pelham-Co-Op route while the Q50 route should be the Flushing-Bay Plaza route. I could understand the Bx2 no longer being a limited

Agreed. Very few riders in entire section of the current QBX1 ride it to Flushing. Also the BX23 should be a 24/7 route as well and it's northbound terminal extended to Dyre Ave (5) station as well.

Agreed. Very few riders in entire section of the current QBX1 ride it to Flushing. Also the BX23 should be a 24/7 route as well and it's northbound terminal extended to Dyre Ave (5) station as well.

Very few? I disagree completely, the last few QBx1s I've rode on to Flushing were packed to the brim.

That is so retarted. The Bx23 should be the Pelham-Co-Op route while the Q50 route should be the Flushing-Bay Plaza route.

I disagree. A lot of people use the QBx1 from Co-Op City to Queens. Sometimes I take the QBx1 to Flushing if I want to take the (7) and not the other lines in the Bronx. If a bus line has been serving an area as big as Co-Op City for a long time, it shouldn't be touched. The name change works cause it won't cause confusion as it is does now for anyone not familiar with the route. I know I was confused the first time I used it in 2006.

I could understand the Bx2 no longer being a limited

Same here. Ever since they rerouted the Bx2 in The Hub and 149th St area, the Bx2 almost completely mirrors the Bx1 and there is no need for them both to be Limiteds. In fact, they should make the Bx1 a full time Limited like the M2 and M101. That would be perfect for the Grand Concourse IMHO.

Agreed. Very few riders in entire section of the current QBX1 ride it to Flushing.
You couldn't be more wrong here. In my visits to Flushing, I almost NEVER see a Flushing-bound QBx1 not packed; even on weekends, it's bustling with passengers.

Will the Bx23 come out of Eastchester now?
I don't know, but due to the QBx1 splitting with College Point and Eastchester being nearby, I wouldn't be shocked if the Bx23 would come from ECH.

Very few? I disagree completely, the last few QBx1s I've rode on to Flushing were packed to the brim.

I meant to say Cait Sith that very few riders from Coop City, ride the entire length of the QBX1 to/from Flushing. I also been on a few QBX1's that also been Packed SRO on weekends but that mainly an issue of the horrible headways of every 20-30 minutes more than anything.

What happens w/ the flushing bound Qbx1's is that... riders from co-op to PBP (pelham bay park) get off, at PBP.... you'll still have a handful of riders or so left on board... then you get a moderate crowd that embarks @ PBP itself... then it's a few ppl here, a few ppl there that board between [PBP & Lafayette av]... by time buses hop on the HRP, buses can get crowded....

What shortline's alluding to is that, the majority of Flushing bound riders on the qbx1, aren't emanating from co-op, that's all....

* obviously, I'm not talking about the Qbx1's that begin @ PBP, towards Flushing.... lol..

I guess the key is this: What is the route's dominant market?

- Co-op City to Flushing?

- Co-op City to Pelham Bay?

- Pelham Bay to Flushing?

That first category is my main point of curiosity. If the through riding is less than 20% of the total out of Co-op City, then my suggestion would be to shorten the Q50 to Pelham Bay and add Bx23 service around Co-op City.

I guess the key is this: What is the route's dominant market?

- Co-op City to Flushing?

- Co-op City to Pelham Bay?

- Pelham Bay to Flushing?

That first category is my main point of curiosity. If the through riding is less than 20% of the total out of Co-op City, then my suggestion would be to shorten the Q50 to Pelham Bay and add Bx23 service around Co-op City.

You would have to add a three legged transfer then so people wouldn't have to pay another fare.

The Q50 would be needed in Co Op City as the Bx23 isn't going to be running after around 10:00-10:30pm. On weekday late evenings the Q50 is likely going to the the *only* service on parts of Co Op City Blvd.

Q50 should get a service increase to 10-15 minutes during the rush hours and 15-20 minutes off peak. Q50 should also be extended inside Whitestone Cinemas to increase ridership (Bx5, Q44 could also be considered).

Q50 could be extended to Jamaica if the Q44 needed more service in the future (NYC would pay for it)

You would have to add a three legged transfer then so people wouldn't have to pay another fare.

That's a whole separate matter that's near and dear to my heart.

In my world, I'd replace all transfer privileges with a 3-hour pass - dip or swipe once, and you get your run of the entire "base" system (subways and local buses) for 3 hours.

In my world, I'd replace all transfer privileges with a 3-hour pass - dip or swipe once, and you get your run of the entire "base" system (subways and local buses) for 3 hours.

Agreed. Especially with the coming service reductions, where people would lose their two-seat ride and have to pay for their third ride.

By the way, I attended that meeting and summarized the proposals I put up here (On this post: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=282337&postcount=55 , this post: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=283972&postcount=45 , and this post: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=282334&postcount=38 ). I wouldn't be surprised if we found these proposals on next month's agenda, since they were entered into the public record.

It would totally eliminate the 'overlaps' by some lines. They could then focus on running the buses on one set street and everywhere else people would have to take a 'crosstown line' to get to another line.

Now if only they could work things out among MTA Bus and NYCT to make the transitions easier.

A 2 or even 3 hour unlimited ride period per fare paid makes a lot of sense in a complicated system like NYC, and would allow the MTA to eliminate even more bus route duplication.

However, it would also lose them revenue and lead to the restructuring of both physical and conceptual fare policy. (though not by much, as the majority of riders use unlimiteds). SingleRide's physically can't be used more than once, and there would have to be an exemption for cash customers, as they will have to ask for transfers on every connecting bus and there would be no way to get into the subway.

Archived