MTA Bus changes, (lots of them in this month)

w8Hou

I don't understand the QBx1 thing. So is the Q50 the new name, but same route?

It's focus is to address the two different markets: those who are going from Co-op City to the train station and those who are going from Bronx proper to Flushing. The 23 will deal with the former and the Q50 would deal with the latter.

I know a few of you think the route change isn't necessary or may cause confusion but as someone who at one time was new rider to the BxQ1, this can only help the general public. The Q50 Designation will clearly separate the Queens service from the Bronx only Co-op City shuttles. The Qbx1 is one of the most unique bus routes in the city. Bus with its uniqueness came a lot of confusion. A Qbx1 destination sign would cause someone unfamiliar to scratch there heads with the different services and peak hour shuttles.

Headways on the new Q50 really should be improved. I've always felt if the Qbx1 was more reliable & frequent many passengers would utilize it. Personally I preferred the QBx1 over the Q44 but many times simply because of the wait i took, the slower & always crowded, Q44.

Coming from the perspective of a daily rider of the QBx1, the only things that I want from the line are better headways, especially at night and the weekends and 24-hr service to Co-Op City in any form or fashion. As big as Co-Op City is, it boggles my mind daily to know that there is only 1 bus route that runs 24 hrs in here (the Bx28) and with the cuts coming on Sunday, I'm not 100% sure but I think Section 5 will be the ONLY section that will still have 24 hr bus service and that's total and utter bullshit. This new bus route can be a great help to the residents of Sections 1-4 to have some kind of service running in the areas that may not have any service overnight after June 26th.

Whatever winds up happening with the QBx1, I hope I won't be waiting even longer than I already do for the bus now, cause the wait for this bus can be brutal. It's going to be pure hell here where I am in Co-Op City not having the Bx26 or the Bx28 coming to my house starting on Sunday. I hope and pray that the (MTA) isn't screwing me again with the Bx23 and Q50. I guess time will tell.

I know a few of you think the route change isn't necessary or may cause confusion but as someone who at one time was new rider to the BxQ1, this can only help the general public. The Q50 Designation will clearly separate the Queens service from the Bronx only Co-op City shuttles. The Qbx1 is one of the most unique bus routes in the city. Bus with its uniqueness came a lot of confusion. A Qbx1 destination sign would cause someone unfamiliar to scratch there heads with the different services and peak hour shuttles.

Headways on the new Q50 really should be improved. I've always felt if the Qbx1 was more reliable & frequent many passengers would utilize it. Personally I preferred the QBx1 over the Q44 but many times simply because of the wait i took, the slower & always crowded, Q44.

Well said hoodciti :tup:and i support this change to the QBX1. I agree with Gotham in that the new Q50 should run between Bay Plaza/PBP and Flushing.

I also feel bad for our buddy Princelex and a 2nd line either the new BX23 or the express bus route BXM7 when this economic crisis is over becomes a 24/ line to provide better transit options to Coop City.

You are so dead on it, its not even funny. I've had many a day where whenever I was in Flushing, I was wishing I could take the Q44 home or wished that it would connect with the Bx26, Bx28 or Bx30 cause the current setup of the QBx1 sucks ass big time.

The Bx28 will continue to operate via all sections late nights. See: http://mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bronx/bx028nxt.pdf and look at the note on page 12.

God answers prayer!!!!! This put a smile on my face, something that I really needed today. Thank you for that info. You made my night showing me the link! ;)

Well said hoodciti :tup:and i support this change to the QBX1. I agree with Gotham in that the new Q50 should run between Bay Plaza/PBP and Flushing.

I also feel bad for our buddy Princelex and a 2nd line either the new BX23 or the express bus route BXM7 when this economic crisis is over becomes a 24/ line to provide better transit options to Coop City.

Thank you for your support Shortline Bus. I hope both of these lines will become 24/7 lines in the near future. I got a lot of praying to do. LOL

You are so dead on it, its not even funny. I've had many a day where whenever I was in Flushing, I was wishing I could take the Q44 home or wished that it would connect with the Bx26, Bx28 or Bx30 cause the current setup of the QBx1 sucks ass big time.

God answers prayer!!!!! This put a smile on my face, something that I really needed today. Thank you for that info. You made my night showing me the link! ;)

Thank you for your support Shortline Bus. I hope both of these lines will become 24/7 lines in the near future. I got a lot of praying to do. LOL

You're welcome.

The Bx23 should run all night considering that the City of NY pays for its operating expenses. The only reason I could think of is that it already turns a profit and the late night service would cut into its profit, which isn't reimbursable.

That being said, does anybody know why they are even bothering to reduce any MTA Bus service. They say that any decrease in operating costs will reduce the level of reimbursement to MTA Bus by the City of NY. Is it to get the people to switch to the subway and NYCT buses, which aren't reimbursed by the City of NY.

On the one for the Bx1/2; I wonder for how much longer the Bx1 will continue to travel down Grand Concourse now between 138 and 149 Streets; the Bx2 could be made to run from Fort Independence Street to 3 Avenue and 149 Street only.

Why would the Bx1 and Bx2 need to be cut back from 138 St, unless the Bx41 gets re extended to 138 St, or 133 St (Bruckner Blvd)

Will the Bx23 come out of Eastchester now?

I would be kind of surprised if the Bx23 came out of Eastchester since it would be the first Bronx bus route to be run out of an (MTA) Bus depot. It's like the movie Splice. They're taking an (MTA) Bus route and spitting it out in two.

On the one for the Bx1/2; I wonder for how much longer the Bx1 will continue to travel down Grand Concourse now between 138 and 149 Streets; the Bx2 could be made to run from Fort Independence Street to 3 Avenue and 149 Street only.

I agree, they should return the Bx2 to the Hub-149 St terminal. If riders want access to the 6 train, take the Bx1.

Very few? I disagree completely, the last few QBx1s I've rode on to Flushing were packed to the brim.

This is during rush hour?The only time this bus get pack is when the bus is running late to PBP or the bus had a missing run.When I ride it,the bus doesn't really get SRO,but the seats are full.....when you see the bus stop getting full at PBP,you know the bus will be a mad house.

In Brooklyn, the (B41) Limited has a new limited stop at Flatbush Av/Park Place. It's shown on the July 2010 bus map, but it's missing from the (B41)'s new timetable. Anyone know when this stop was added and why....? I don't remember it and only saw it today.

In Brooklyn, the (B41) Limited has a new limited stop at Flatbush Av/Park Place. It's shown on the July 2010 bus map, but it's missing from the (B41)'s new timetable. Anyone know when this stop was added and why....? I don't remember it and only saw it today.

just noticed that today also...

probably to indirectly promote more usage of the B69

The MTA snuck a service cut up its sleeve!

As of 6/28, QM4 offpeak service is now hourly (originally half-hourly). Nowhere in public documents (other than the new TT, of course) is this mentioned. A service notice is posted for the QM4 about the new span of service and elimination of reverse-peak 3 Av service, but the hourly reduction is not mentioned.

I support this cut though, but the QM4's riders must be furious. Not everyone checks the MTA site all the time.

ok, i have no problem with the upcoming QBx1 change. But with the MTA crying broke, wouldnt it be wiser and more cost effective to shorten the QBx1 to PBP, renumber it the Q50, and just extend the current Bx29 to serve more of Co-op City instead of creating the Bx23? Wouldnt this mean less buses, gas, drivers, etc, used while still maintaining the desired service pattern??

just noticed that today also...

probably to indirectly promote more usage of the B69

Yes, take the uber-infrequent (B69) to the uber-crowded (B41)/Limited when one could just take the now-uber-infrequent (B67) instead. I'm not celebrating until they add a (B44) Limited stop at Beverly Road (not that I would use it or anything... :() Also the (MTA) is adding B44 service Sunday evenings (from 6 minute frequencies to every 5 mins) Good, because buses sometimes get packed after the Limited dies down for the night. The (B6) is getting increased PM Rush Hour service - it could use it [i'd also reroute it to Ave H and Triangle Junction, but that's another story.] The (B46) is living it up with extra Saturday service in the morning and evening, the (B49) as well as the 5th Av buses are gaining and losing service slightly depending on the day and time. Poor (Bx1)/(Bx2)... that's what you get for having two routes, I guess. I still think that maybe the (B83) (and probably some other routes) could use shorter headaways during weekdays.... rush hours at least.

ok, i have no problem with the upcoming QBx1 change. But with the MTA crying broke, wouldnt it be wiser and more cost effective to shorten the QBx1 to PBP, renumber it the Q50, and just extend the current Bx29 to serve more of Co-op City instead of creating the Bx23? Wouldnt this mean less buses, gas, drivers, etc, used while still maintaining the desired service pattern??

The City of New York pays for the operating expenses of the QBx1 (or Bx23), but not those of the Bx29. Also, I would think that the Bx23 would be more frequent than the Bx29, so the MTA would be short-turning a lot of excess Bx29 trips at Pelham Bay at their own expense.

The MTA snuck a service cut up its sleeve!

As of 6/28, QM4 offpeak service is now hourly (originally half-hourly). Nowhere in public documents (other than the new TT, of course) is this mentioned. A service notice is posted for the QM4 about the new span of service and elimination of reverse-peak 3 Av service, but the hourly reduction is not mentioned.

I support this cut though, but the QM4's riders must be furious. Not everyone checks the MTA site all the time.

Just like the merger of the BXM7a/BXM7b in the Bronx that extends the Pelham Bay branch of the BXM7 to City Island, if the (MTA) could they would never have public hearings on any cuts. The (MTA) is not required under state law to have any public hearings for service increases or minor cuts. This QM4 change is considered a 'minor cut' by them.

I agree Amtrak, that while sadly this QM4 cut is warranted in this ongoing economic crisis, still a bad job by (MTA) not to make more known to the public much sooner.

so, Q50 and Bx23 are MTA NEW YORK CITY BUS and wat depots they in on the Fall??

They will remain MTA Bus, otherwise you'll have a big mess in court amungst the Unions...

Q50 will probably be CP and Deadhead to/from the Flushing end......

BX23 will be ECH and deadhead to/from PBP....

If they everything was NYCT - Q50 would problably stay at CP or go to CS...I willing to bet Flushing is where this route will go in and out of service from....

BX 23 ECH or GH ofcourse and would still deadhead to/from PBP....

The MTA NEEDS TO HURRY and get all Bus operations under one Umbrella this is where the most savings for the cash strapped agency will come from....the amount of deadheading on some routes is insane...CP and CS could better corrdinate some routes...ECH can go back to being Express bus only depot...SC can give its local routes to FLA or FP and just be express bus as well....

Archived