Wouldn't this have worked for a service cut?

Cutting managers!!!

1. Although it's not operations (although occasionally it is) it's still MTA money!

2. It inconveniences 0 riders.

They should also replace the people at work at Jamaica yard while they are at it. Maybe people that a better job will make the trains break down less which saves money from the excess maintenance due to terrible maintenance from the first place.

They should also replace the people at work at Jamaica yard while they are at it. Maybe people that a better job will make the trains break down less which saves money from the excess maintenance due to terrible maintenance from the first place.

The problem with Jamaica Yard is that it's overcrowded. It has too many cars and not enough storage space/repair barns.

Jamaica Yard = joke of a transit yard.

The problem with Jamaica Yard is that it's overcrowded. It has too many cars and not enough storage space/repair barns.

Then expansion of that yard should be higher on the list in my opinion. As it can probably happen sooner and be finished sooner then the current extension projects.

Then expansion of that yard should be higher on the list in my opinion. As it can probably happen sooner and be finished sooner then the current extension projects.

There was a plan to enlarge the yard but that was dropped.

Where is it supposed to expand?

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=queens,+ny&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.460237,56.513672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Queens,+New+York&ll=40.719111,-73.828812&spn=0.004741,0.006899&t=h&z=14&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=queens,+ny&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.460237,56.513672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Queens,+New+York&ll=40.719111,-73.828812&spn=0.004741,0.006899&t=h&z=14" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>[/GMAPS]

There was a plan to enlarge the yard but that was dropped.

Well that sucks.

@NX Express: Well I wouldn't know, but the MTA seems to know as they had a plan for it. If not, maybe building another yard might work? Since it seems Jamaica cannot handle the load. Of course this is all hypothetical.

Anyways, I really doubt there is any alternative to a plan to remove late night service in NYC.

Guest lance25
Shutting down late night service seems to be a huge inconvience to some New Yorkers. The reality is our subway system can use a huge cleansing job, some station rehab and a huge track upgrade so trackwork doesn't need to be done every other weekend. Most rehab work would need more than late nights to be accomplished (i.e. shutting down the particular station at all times, like every station currently being renovated now). My 5 train is routinely affected by weekend work. Get used to it. The (5) is one of those lines that will always get knocked off its mainline. Also, with the signal modernization of the Dyre Avenue branch on the horizon, there will be a lot of bus-stitutions in the future. The late night time window is a great time to clean up the system and do all of this work as it inconviences the least amount of riders. Like I said before, people don't want to see bright lights or hear loud noises in the middle of the night. More people are riding the train during the weekend and midday hours than the late night hours. That may be, but the trains are NOT empty enough to warrant the full closure of the subway.The amount of people affected by 12-9's, GO's and every other preventable delay is far higher than the number that ride the trains late night. And besides why give the homeless people another place to roam? So? The homeless will still camp out on the trains and platforms during the day.

Nearly all subway delays are preventable. Please enlighten me on how most delays are preventable. How would shutting down the system during overnight hours prevent the shit that would still happen during the day, such as dipshits falling/jumping/etc. onto the tracks, signals malfunctioning or anything else for that matter.So let's start preventing them by fixing the infastructure when it effects a smaller group of riders.

My replies are in red above. In short, you won't get anywhere trying to shut down the entire system at night. In my opinion, a better idea would be to just run a bare-bones system overnight; i.e. no overlapping service unless absolutely necessary.

Acutally shortening the night frequency would be better. Trains could take beteween an hour or maybe an hour and a half to reach the station. Some platforms would be closed for work. Even though the platforms are closed it dosen't mean an end to repairs during the day. There are limits you know. The West End Elevated (D) might have to run on the Sea Beach (N) or bypass stations till April 2012 due to work. I live there and use it for my commute but you don't see me complaining about it. When the (D) runs via Sea Beach most people use the B8 or some bus service when they get off, and some even ride to Coney Island and wait for a Manhattan bound (D) to get home, but I don't even see regular passangers complain. People just find way to get around it. When the (D) skips the West End Stations people just ride to Coney Island. Manhattan or Brooklyn bound. Just saying but if you don't like it or if you don't agree with it then move out because there are cities that will be happy to take you like Washington DC with a poor safety record but hey their subway shuts off at night like how you prefer it. Also it doesn't really serve the city it's just a commuter rail so get use to skipping half a mile to get to a stop. When you miss your stop then take a car it will cost you even more then you will regret your poor choice!.

All of that space on the left side, plus probably into some of the green space to the left as well.

I think someone mentioned the land isn't really stable in that area around the yard. You'd need to build a 'deck' so that there's a solid foundation for the trains to sit on and not sink into the ground.

So probably not a good idea to add on in that area.

So that means two things either A: Build a new yard for the trains or B: Build the deck for the trains to park or C: Move a portion of the yard underground. Those are the final solutions. A reminder though a platform or deck for the trains would cost several million dollars and we might end up building floating platforms on the lake attached to the lake bottom so it could allow the trains to move in. There is another problem to it. The environmental impacts, EPA, cost, and the park would require a lot of planning so it won't do the damage the things the people are going to get angry about.

I love how everyone's "solutions" to save money actually wind up costing money. It's a recurring pattern in this place and it's why a lot of people here are keyboard warriors instead of involved in decision making at transit agencies.

Car inspectors rotate, they're not simply stationed at one place for the length of their careers.

Jamaica's record has also improved significantly since the bad old days but the reason they are known for being poor as compared to other yards is 1) historical and 2) they do not have the inspection barn space (this is different than storage space) necessary to complete their work and do the best they can with what they have.

A lot of railfans just don't get the way things work and refer to historical points as if they're still true today. It's like the ones that still think the R46's are unreliable subway cars because of "truck problems" that they haven't had in close to 30 years.

The car inspectors and staff at Jamaica yard is no more or less talented than anywhere else in the system.

Shutting down late night service seems to be a huge inconvience to some New Yorkers. The reality is our subway system can use a huge cleansing job, some station rehab and a huge track upgrade so trackwork doesn't need to be done every other weekend. My 5 train is routinely affected by weekend work. The late night time window is a great time to clean up the system and do all of this work as it inconviences the least amount of riders. More people are riding the train during the weekend and midday hours than the late night hours. The amount of people affected by 12-9's, GO's and every other preventable delay is far higher than the number that ride the trains late night. And besides why give the homeless people another place to roam?

Nearly all subway delays are preventable. So let's start preventing them by fixing the infastructure when it effects a smaller group of riders.

You seem to think that the overnight period is a great time to do infrastructure work like track and station rehabs. I agree that there are less riders on the system but that work is extremely labor intensive and noisy. In certain sections of the system you would be adversely affecting whole neighborhoods 'cause last time I looked with the exception of the CBD trains run in residential areas. Where I come from we kick butt if you mow your lawn when it's dark but you seem to be proposing to bring work trains in at that time. IIRC Jay Walder came up with the idea of closing whole sections of the subway system for major infrastructure work. Are you related to him? Looking at the work train manifests there IS major work being done every night and weekends now. Look at your line, the (5). There's work being done now up there. Should every line shut down at night? There's not enough diesels or work gangs out there to justify a total shutdown IMO. There would be sections shut where no work was being performed. Is that fair to everyone? BTW since you proposed a 6 hour timeframe earlier what hours are we talking about for the shutdown ? 11pm-5am or midnight to 6 am?

Car inspectors rotate, they're not simply stationed at one place for the length of their careers.

Jamaica's record has also improved significantly since the bad old days but the reason they are known for being poor as compared to other yards is 1) historical and 2) they do not have the inspection barn space (this is different than storage space) necessary to complete their work and do the best they can with what they have.

A lot of railfans just don't get the way things work and refer to historical points as if they're still true today. It's like the ones that still think the R46's are unreliable subway cars because of "truck problems" that they haven't had in close to 30 years.

The car inspectors and staff at Jamaica yard is no more or less talented than anywhere else in the system.

I see, so the problem is mostly the space, if they have the space, then they would have more room to work with.

Let's compromise. If overnight service is so necessary than come up with a better idea than saves a ton of operations money, thus reducing the deficit and also inconviences a SMALL group of riders. The service cuts that were implemented do not meet etiher reqiurement for service reduction measures.

I would like to see the super smart transit buff that comes up with a better alternative.

Why Dont you mr got all of the ideas??

Thank goodness You arent in a position to make decisions like that...

Why Dont you mr got all of the ideas??

Thank goodness You arent in a position to make decisions like that...

Maybe that screen name means he really IS " Uncle Fester " and he's trolling for ideas before the next governor takes office, lol.

As far as numbers go, even though late night riders are a small percentage of overall riders (no more than maybe 2% at most), that is still a large number.

I added up the totals for the overnight bus riders and came up with approximately 12,000 riders per night. Daily subway ridership is about 2.5 times the daily bus ridership. Let's use that number for overnight riders and there would be 30,000 riders inconvenienced by this. If you consider that the average subway line runs on 20 minute frequencies while the average bus line runs on 60 minute frequencies, and gets 3 times the ridership, you might get a figure closer to 90,000 riders per night. Either way, 30,000 or 90,000 riders is still a lot of riders to affect.

This is the wrong attitude for New Yorkers to have about this topic. Virtually EVERY other major city shuts down subway service for the late night hours and we do not. What makes NY special? NOTHING does.

Tokyo has double our population, double our subway ridership and is the economic capital of the east. Yet they do not run trains 24/7. When the trains do run they perform amazingly well. The 5 hours of rest the trains get each day reduce wear and tear which reduces car breakdowns.

It's not just Tokyo. Other major cities in Asia shut down the subway during late night hours. Beijing, Shanghai, Singapore, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur just to name a few others do not run around the clock subway service but have systems that are way more advanced and cleaner than ours in NYC. These cities have just as much economic weight and demand for business as New York City. If they can do it we can do it. It's time we play FOLLOW THE LEADER in New York City because our system SUCKS compared to what's out there. We need to implement strategies that are used in these other cities like NO late night subway service. Whoever doesn't see this must not want a better subway system and must want 1 in every 5 trains to show up late.

Late night service can come back when trains are AUTOMATED and less costly to operate but until then only use the subway when absolutely needed.

You are an Ass, I use the subway at night, If you don't like us New Yorkers, then GTFO!!!!!!! and don't ride our transit system, the subway is needed at night due to what subway guy posted.

Archived