Do You Feel The Rockaways And Lefferts Boulevard Are Adequately Served?

Do you feel current (A) service to the Rockaways and Lefferts Boulevard (on average every 15-20 minutes weekdays and Saturdays and every 20-24 minutes on Sundays; (H) every 15-20 minutes weekdays and Saturdays and every 20 minutes Sundays) is adequate?

I thought this was already discussed, the answer is no (especially for the Rockaways), and until there's some sort of Capital Construction or the (C) finally goes to Lefferts, nothing will change due to lack of capacity in the Cranberry Tubes.

They're better off than me, and i'm twice as close. I'm stuck with a weekend/late night shuttle and a Manhattan crosstown. Lefferts has 7 day a week day time and Far rock has 24/7, mainline manhattan service.

But their overall commute is longer.

The service is too much to the Rockaways, IMO. Lefferts Blvd needs more service.

Rush hour frequencies of less than 10 minutes at Far Rockaway is too much, but such frequencies at Lefferts Blvd is certainly reasonable, maybe necessary. Could short-turning at Howard Beach save some money?

(H) is too frequent. Columbus Day to Memorial Day, overnight should be hourly and weekend should be half-hourly. Summer frequencies should not be changed.

But doesn't change the fact that the (A) service is more direct to Manhattan compared to the (M). Plus if they don't like the (A) they have the LIRR as a fallback. They have better transit options.

Actually....

For that LIRR connection into Manhattan:

From Far Rockaway you're paying 4.50 extra. And from Far Rock to 34th street you save (on average) about three to five minutes.

From Jamaica (Nearest LIRR station to Lefferts) to 34th Street, you save a good 20 minutes, however you're paying $3.50 more for that 20 minutes (and if you don't have a car, your time saving will be greatly diminished since there's no direct bus route to/from these points).

As for that direct connection into Manhattan (I choose West 4th Street because that's where they connect, and I know duh!):

(A) from Far Rockaway to West 4th Street: About 1 hour

(A) from Lefferts to West 4th Street: 42 minutes

(M) from Metropolitan Avenue to West 4th Street: 32 Minutes

And to 34th street, you tack on an extra five minutes for both lines.

There was no point in calculating in reverse order, but if it helps the (A) saves you six minutes into West 4th.

All according to the (MTA) schedules.

Ok, noted, but it's still another option to get to Manhattan, if the person knows the schedule.

Or some like the lifestyle the Rockaways (at least the Belle Harbor end) gives them. Its a suburban lifestyle. Some on that end also just Q35 it to Flatbush and pick up trains from there.

I love the Q35, i used to ride that often back to Brooklyn from B116th.

But doesn't change the fact that the (A) service is more direct to Manhattan compared to the (M). Plus if they don't like the (A) they have the LIRR as a fallback. They have better transit options.

I could be wrong but I don't think the LIRR Far Rockaway Line runs all night now due to the recent cuts.

Personally in ideal world and money not an object, the (C) should run to Lefferts 24/7 with couple of peak direction (A) to Manhattan AM Rush and From Manhattan PM Rush.

And I would rename the Rockaway Park (A) Rush Hour Express the (K).

(A)207th-Far Rockaway all times. Express 168th-Euclid Daily 6am-Midnight (Sundays and Holidays 8am-11pm) local all other times.

Rush Hours some (A)trains start/end at Euclid giving riders further on the Fulton Coordior AM Rush better chances for seats.

©168th-Euclid All Times. Express 145th St-Canal/Church Sts. and Fulton Local Weekdays 6am-11pm. All other times 8th/Fulton Local.

50th St riders Weekdays can use the (E) and transfer Downtown at 42nd/PABT or Queens Bound (E) at 7th/53rd for the (;) Local or (D) Express.

Late Nights the (C) is extended and starts/ends at 207th.

Rush Hours some ©trains start/end at Euclid giving riders further on the Fulton Coordior AM Rush better chances for seats.

Overnight headways would be combined every 15 minutes along main line between Rockaway Blvd. and 207th. Every 30 minutes for the rest of the coordior.

Rush Hour (A) Rockaway Park is renamed the (K) but service stays the same other than increased service to run the full rush hours 6am-930am and 330pm-8pm between Dyckman and Rockaway Park for more service for Howard Beach/JFK riders.

Rockaway Park (S) aka the (H) remains the same. I agree with Amtrak and weekend/late evening weekdays (9pm-1am) headways should be every 20-30 minutes. Overnights every hour but extended to Euclid Ave.

Also provides Manhattan Bound riders waiting on the Rockaway line and JFK/Howard Bch an option to wait at a warm indoor station like Euclid on rainy/cold & snowy nights during the wee hours.

Alot of Ozone Park/SE Residents might be upset at lose of full express service on Lefferts line. As compromise the new (C) would run express in Manhattan between 145th-Canal weekdays. The (;) CPW service would be increased. Plus more increased service and better headways on Lefferts and Fulton Local Coordiors especially off peak.

Reactions?

I could be wrong but I don't think the LIRR Far Rockaway Line runs all night now due to the recent cuts.

Personally in ideal world and money not an object, the (C) should run to Lefferts 24/7 with couple of peak direction (A) to Manhattan AM Rush and From Manhattan PM Rush.

And I would rename the Rockaway Park (A) Rush Hour Express the (K).

(A)207th-Far Rockaway all times. Express 168th-Euclid Daily 6am-Midnight (Sundays and Holidays 8am-11pm) local all other times.

Rush Hours some (A)trains start/end at Euclid giving riders further on the Fulton Coordior AM Rush better chances for seats.

©168th-Euclid All Times. Express 145th St-Canal/Church Sts. and Fulton Local Weekdays 6am-11pm. All other times 8th/Fulton Local.

50th St riders Weekdays can use the (E) and transfer Downtown at 42nd/PABT or Queens Bound (E) at 7th/53rd for the (;) Local or (D) Express.

Late Nights the (C) is extended and starts/ends at 207th.

Rush Hours some ©trains start/end at Euclid giving riders further on the Fulton Coordior AM Rush better chances for seats.

Overnight headways would be combined every 15 minutes along main line between Rockaway Blvd. and 207th. Every 30 minutes for the rest of the coordior.

Rush Hour (A) Rockaway Park is renamed the (K) but service stays the same other than increased service to run the full rush hours 6am-930am and 330pm-8pm between Dyckman and Rockaway Park for more service for Howard Beach/JFK riders.

Rockaway Park (S) aka the (H) remains the same. I agree with Amtrak and weekend/late evening weekdays (9pm-1am) headways should be every 20-30 minutes. Overnights every hour but extended to Euclid Ave.

Also provides Manhattan Bound riders waiting on the Rockaway line and JFK/Howard Bch an option to wait at a warm indoor station like Euclid on rainy/cold & snowy nights during the wee hours.

Alot of Ozone Park/SE Residents might be upset at lose of full express service on Lefferts line. As compromise the new (C) would run express in Manhattan between 145th-Canal weekdays. The (;) CPW service would be increased. Plus more increased service and better headways on Lefferts and Fulton Local Coordiors especially off peak.

Reactions?

For Ozone Park/Richmond Hill residents, most of them end up taking either the Q10 or Q37 to the (E) or (F) in Kew Gardens anyway since the 8th Avenue lines are pretty slow en route to Manhattan.

I would argue that Rockaway residents have it better than people who live in parts of the city without subway service at all! And I also think that they like it that way: it keeps their lifestyle quiet and suburban.

For most of the Rockaways mainly for the neighborhoods *west of the Cross Bay Bridge* that true as most families in that area have cars. However for those living in Far Rockaway itself they are among the poorest in all of Queens County and don't have cars and thus stuck with the (A) train.

I would argue that Rockaway residents have it better than people who live in parts of the city without subway service at all! And I also think that they like it that way: it keeps their lifestyle quiet and suburban.

I know I certainly did when I grew up out there. Also it serves as a place to go when I need to get out of the craziness of Manhattan. I think its quite convenient to be able to go to the beach for 2.25 as opposed to having to get in a car and drive to the jersey/delaware shore or what have you.

Or some like the lifestyle the Rockaways (at least the Belle Harbor end) gives them. Its a suburban lifestyle.

Don't forget that a lot of people in Belle Harbor, Breezy Point and Neponsit don't want the mugger mover out there anyway. They like it on Beach 116th.

lol I remember me and my ex walked the beach from Rock Park all the way into Breezy Point, not a bad walk at all albeit long. I have to say that must be the only neighborhood that doesn't have any public transit service at all within the boros.

lol I remember me and my ex walked the beach from Rock Park all the way into Breezy Point, not a bad walk at all albeit long. I have to say that must be the only neighborhood that doesn't have any public transit service at all within the boros.

That always looked kind of strange to me. I think the only other possible neighborhood would be Todt Hill, Staten Island, but even Todt Hill has buses a mile away.

While I'm in favor of increasing service to Lefferts and Far Rockaway, sending the (C) local train to Lefferts isn't going to fly with Ozone Park riders. It would have to run express. But then, what would replace the (C) on the local tracks between Euclid and Hoyt-Schermerhorn? Can (A) service simply be increased on both branches so the (C) can stay as it is? Then rename either the Lefferts or the Rockaway branch a different letter, maybe (K).

While I'm in favor of increasing service to Lefferts and Far Rockaway, sending the (C) local train to Lefferts isn't going to fly with Ozone Park riders. It would have to run express. But then, what would replace the (C) on the local tracks between Euclid and Hoyt-Schermerhorn? Can (A) service simply be increased on both branches so the (C) can stay as it is? Then rename either the Lefferts or the Rockaway branch a different letter, maybe (K).

The Cranberry Street tunnel under the East River has already reached its capacity. This is what prevents increasing (A) service.

Archived