The Mobile/Smartphone Thread

What is your favorite mobile operating system?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite mobile operating system?

• Android (Google)
    • Blackberry OS (RIM)
    • iOS (Apple Inc.)
    • Symbian OS (Symbian Foundation)
    • webOS (Palm)
    • Windows Mobile (Microsoft)

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This might be the length of an article but...

The iPhone 5 is a great phone, iOS 6 is a great OS, but at the end, it all comes down to preferences and what you need. I'll break it down to many sections regarding each of the specifics.

iPhone 5

Okay, you might be considering this device, so what's my recommendations? If you are a person entering the smartphone market, love iTunes, and love the overall feel of iOS 6 or if you are a person who owns any phone before and including the iPhone 4 (NOT THE 4S) and love Apple's system, then the iPhone 5 is right for you.

However, if you own a 4S like me, I wouldn't upgrade because the only thing you're getting is LTE, slightly faster performance and an extra row of icons, battery life is on par. Also, if you didn't upgrade to iOS 6 just yet on your 4S, you'll still have the lovely Google Maps and Ad-Free YouTube Experience right at the palm of your hand. Also, if you are considering Android, Windows Phone or Blackberry, then I suggest you to wait and make a final decision.

So what's the trade off with the iPhone 5? Your old 30-pin cords and such, including those in your car, your home entertainment system and all the accessories and travel cords are going to be useless if you don't have another iPod or iPhone around with the 30-pin connector or the Lightning to 30pin Adapter. Also, the headphone jack is relocated to the bottom of the phone so if you like the original position of the headphone jack, then you're outta luck. Also, all the pricey cases you invested in will no longer work. Let's dig deeper into iOS 6 shall we?

iOS 6.0

So you love the iOS platform, Siri and the clean and clutter-free iOS experience. You might have also checked out blogs, perhaps the WWDC 2012 and September iPhone 5 launch event and such on the iOS 6 platform. But you might also have heard about the new Apple Maps problems and YouTube's new app being buggy as hell. Well, you still love iOS don'tcha? Well, if you wouldn't mind to have a slightly bad maps experience, and perhaps YouTube experience, then you'll be fine with iOS 6.0.

If you actually live on Google Maps or use it frequently, and like an Ad-Free YouTube experience, then I'm afraid you have to do a run to several AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, Virgin Mobile or Apple Store to get an iPhone 4S with iOS 5.1.1. For Canada, Rogers, Bell, Telus, Fido, Koodoo, Virgin Mobile or Apple Store for an iPhone 4S with iOS 5.1.1. And the amount of device is limited because people are frantically rushing into stores to grab a device with iOS 5.1.1 thanks to the Mapsgate Fiasco.

The Verdict

It all comes down to preferences, I have the iPhone 4S, I expected this Mapsgate thing to happen, and I expected the new YouTube app to make more money outta ya. Surely I am currently iOS, but Android, Windows Phone and Blackberry are all on par but each OS is good at some stuff and bad on some stuff. I might not know it all, but I do know better is relative, and it all comes down to personal preferences. Happy Phone Shopping!

If you want to use my post as a source for your friends, refer to this link: http://windxcelsior.wordpress.com/2012/10/02/iphone-5-ios-6-a-brief-recommendation-break-down/

Edited by KeystoneRegional

I cannot afford one so it's not an option.

I do think Apple has hit the end of the road as a "leader" in the tech industry. The natural progression from iPod to iPhone to iPad has run it's course and I doubt there is much else they can innovate in that line without coming up with something that we (literally) have not seen before. Maybe Apple has an ace up it's sleeve, but with Jobs gone I highly doubt it.

There's about to be one less carrier in the US.

T-Mobile US, which is owned by Deutsche Telekom in Germany, has announced that it will acquire MetroPCS, the fifth-largest mobile carrier in the U.S.

The companies will be combined under the T-Mobile name. According to the company, the deal will result in a more products and deeper network coverage, which will include plans for a bigger LTE network.

"The new company will be the value leader in wireless with the scale, spectrum and financial and other resources to expand its geographic coverage, broaden choice among all types of customers and continue to innovate, especially around the next-generation LTE network," René Obermann, CEO of Deutsche Telekom, said in a statement.

Deutsche Telekom's board unanimously approved the deal. MetroPCS shareholders will receive $1.5 billion in cash and 26 percent ownership in the combined company.

In March 2011, AT&T made a move to acquire T-Mobile US, the fourth-largest carrier in the U.S., from Deutsche Telekom, but the deal was ultimately rejected by the Department of Justice because of antitrust issues.

Read the rest: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/mobile-us-metropcs-merge/story?id=17383789#.UGxbQYawV50

Edited by mark1447

Do you have T-Mobile?

No why?? I used them when I first came back from living in Europe because I was familiar with them since they're a German company. Customer service was always good but the coverage sucked, so I dropped them and went to AT&T which was only a tad better, so I dropped them as well and went to Verizon.

I've heard good things about MetroPCS, but I need a provider that has good international coverage when I'm in Europe or elsewhere. Verizon has been good overall though pricier of course. I'm willing to pay more for quality.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Don't be so quick to say it's a done deal. According to reports, Sprint is looking to throw in a counter offer to get Metro themselves. To be honest, that would be better for Metro's customers. And it will also be an easier transition since both Metro and Sprint use a CDMA network. If Metro get taken by t mobile, they will convert PCS to a GSM network. Just like when sprint got Nextel/boost and switched them from IDEN to CDMA, whichbtook sprint a few years to do. Given T Mobiles financial struggles here in North America, will they survive long enough, and have the finances to do this? Remember last year when they wanted to be brought by att.

Considering that its being said that Sprint made a counter-offer to Metro-PCS, I don't see them getting the deal done considering that they already have Virgin & Boost/Nextel under their belt. The bands used in Metro-PCSs network is largely similar to what Verizon uses (as you can hack Verizon phones to work wit Metro-PCS and obtain full data speeds), whereas I believe Sprint's network bands are different IIRC, so if they ever do get this, the transition would be kinda more harder for Sprint than it would for T-Mobile.

Also, there is a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 coming out for T-Mobile....with LTE technology in it as confirmed by the spec sheets straight from the FCC as quoted.

850/1900 GSM/GPRS/EDGE, 850/1700/1900 WCDMA/HSPA, Band 4 (5, 10, 15, 20 MHz), 17 LTE (5, 10 MHz).

In English, that's 700MHz for LTE Roaming and 1700MHz for T-Mobile Band LTE Data. And with the fact that T-Mobile is launching their LTE network in 2013....and then you have THIS situation with Metro-PCS up in the air....when you think about it, it goes hand in hand....

since neither carrier has native iphone support, i could care less what happens to them. You couldnt pay me enough to get one of those android phones.

As far as im concerned there are three carriers in the US, AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint.

In that case, why the hell did you even bother posting in the thread if you felt that way.....?

I remember when TMobile almost went out of business because they didnt have iPhone support and meanwhile the other major players, AT&T, Verizon had the iphone and Sprint just got it.

If they wanna stay relavent, they need to offer consumers a choice, merging will only buy them some time. But they are missing out on a significant part of the cell phone market.

I remember when TMobile almost went out of business because they didnt have iPhone support and meanwhile the other major players, AT&T, Verizon had the iphone and Sprint just got it.

If they wanna stay relavent, they need to offer consumers a choice, merging will only buy them some time. But they are missing out on a significant part of the cell phone market.

I find that to be a load of crap considering that you don't just go out of business over one phone.....plus that was just a rumor

And that's not true considering that there's been a huge switch in the tides this year from iOS to Android and even you can look that up. A lot of folks dropped iOS for Android and guess what, all the carriers have both Android & Manufacturer support and it updates more often than iOS does. Hell, its gotten to the point where some folks just boot ANDROID on their iPHONES! Sure it doesn't run nearly as good as an actual Android device itself, but it just proves how folks have been switching over this past year.

Edited by Cait Sith

I find that to be a load of crap considering that you don't just go out of business over one phone.....plus that was just a rumor

like I said, that something I read on one of the Apple news sites years ago, back when the iPhone was given to Sprint, and TMobile was in talked to be bought out by AT&T.

like I said, that something I read on one of the Apple news sites years ago, back when the iPhone was given to Sprint, and TMobile was in talked to be bought out by AT&T.

Of course, gather news from sites that don't really have much information about the carriers other than the ones they supply.....smart huh <_<

Oh! And here's another interesting tidbit.

The number of Android devices activated in the half of 2012.....425 Million.

The number of iOS devices activated in the half of 2012....365 million....

So....what does THAT tell you....?

-----------------------------------------------------------

BACK to the discussion at hand. With Sprint making such a counter-offer, I still don't see them getting this deal done considering that they already have Virgin & Boost/NEXTEL under their belts. Supposedly, this is a done deal with T-Mobile and was said in this post here. All in all, I'm gonna wait and see what goes on

And to quote what I said earlier before this topic drifted off to something that was completely irrelevant

Considering that its being said that Sprint made a counter-offer to Metro-PCS, I don't see them getting the deal done considering that they already have Virgin & Boost/Nextel under their belt. The bands used in Metro-PCSs network is largely similar to what Verizon uses (as you can hack Verizon phones to work wit Metro-PCS and obtain full data speeds), whereas I believe Sprint's network bands are different IIRC, so if they ever do get this, the transition would be kinda more harder for Sprint than it would for T-Mobile.

Also, there is a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 coming out for T-Mobile....with LTE technology in it as confirmed by the spec sheets straight from the FCC as quoted.

850/1900 GSM/GPRS/EDGE, 850/1700/1900 WCDMA/HSPA, Band 4 (5, 10, 15, 20 MHz), 17 LTE (5, 10 MHz).

In English, that's 700MHz for LTE Roaming and 1700MHz for T-Mobile Band LTE Data. And with the fact that T-Mobile is launching their LTE network in 2013....and then you have THIS situation with Metro-PCS up in the air....when you think about it, it goes hand in hand....

To add onto this, Sprint would have to expand their bands to make the adjustment considering that Metro-PCS and T-Mobile shares the same bands which is 1700 MHz/2100 MHz bands. Sprint currently does not share the current bands to meet the requirements for Metro-PCS so the transition would be much harder.

Edited by Cait Sith

Well, looks like T-Mobile *cough* MetroPCS *cough* customers can finally get the iPhone, full price, but warranty void, on perhaps smooth LTE with Pink sparkles flying all over I guess? Good for them!

Metro-PCS customers have been able to use iPhones, Verizon iPhones specifically since you can just hack it to run on Metro-PCS considering the bands between both companies are the same.

Edited by Cait Sith

DSC04234_zpsae9bb897.jpg

Will be putting this phone through its paces, review to come soon...

No matter how much I want to get that phone, I just can't. It's a Samsung, which means it doesn't have a proper bootloader for me to fall back on when I nuke something :P. And I don't want to hear about Download Mode either. I am not buying a jig. Shouldn't have to, considering how vital of a function that is.

• 2 weeks later...

An update on the merger.

In a formal move with the FCC, T-Mobile USA and MetroPCS submitted official papers on October 18th seeking approval for their anticipated merger. According to the FCC filing, the companies will send similar documents to US antitrust authorities, specifically the Department of Justice at a later date.

The new company will have 42.5 million customers according to the most recent data, or about 11.7% of the US wireless market. That number is comparative to the 58.5% combined share of AT&T and Verizon or Sprint’s 15.2%.

As has been repeated in earlier reports, the new company will continue using the T-Mobile name, keeping MetroPCS as a separate brand extending it to new cities allowing customers to have more access to smartphones and tablet computers, according to the FCC filing. Another goal of the anticipated merger according to the FCC filing is the combined entity being in a strengthened position to better distribute fixed costs of the network over a broader base, providing greater pricing flexibility.

Furthermore, the FCC filing says the transaction won’t harm competition and will instead strengthen the smallest of what the FCC described as a nationwide carrer. The new company intends to be the leading low-priced carrier in the US, with a focus on offering plans attractive to customers who seek affordability.

Editors Note: To avoid any confusion, the use of the term “New Company” is just general business talk and in no way relates to the actual naming of this new entity as described above as retaining the T-Mobile name.

Source : http://www.tmonews.c...merger-approva/

Edited by Cait Sith
Typo

(Reuters) - "The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency (ICE) said it will end its contract with BlackBerry maker Research In Motion Ltd in favor of Apple Inc's iPhone, dealing a new blow to RIM just months before it launches a vital new device.

The agency said in a solicitation document posted last week that it intends to buy iPhones for more than 17,600 employees - a purchase worth $2.1 million.

The agency said it has relied on RIM for eight years, but the company "can no longer meet the mobile technology needs of the agency."

It also said it analyzed Apple's iOS-based devices and Google Inc's Android operating system and concluded that, for the near term, Apple's iPhone services offer the best technology for the agency because of Apple's tight controls of the hardware platform and operating system.

The agency said the iPhone will be used by a "variety of agency personnel, including, but not limited to, Homeland Security Investigations, Enforcement and Removal Operations and Office of the Principal Legal Advisor employees."

Source Link /// Read More: http://www.reuters.c...E89L0YW20121022

Edited by KeystoneRegional