Extension of the SIR or the NYC Subway to Brooklyn or Manhattan

Roadcruiser1

:cool:

Very interesting thread:tup:

The MTA should be able to run trains or lightrail along Richmond Avenue, the Gowanus, FDR Drive & other places. And what about cable & street cars like in NO & SF?

If LA County figured out how to run trains on city streets, with no affect on bus & car wheels from the embedded track, & have railstations in the middle of some streets, the (MTA) certainly can. It'd be great.

SF's cable cars & NO's streetcars, both species of trolley, would be cool & interesting to have back in NYC & Metro Region again. Maybe they're a possibility for some of the ideas in this thread? And like things.

San Fran & The Big Easy figured out how to keep those modes of transit to this day. Certainly NY's (MTA), & bordering/neighboring TAs can figure out a way to bring trolleys back to this area?

NY is the "greatest city" in the world after all:o

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In this map the HBLR now runs directly to the Staten Island Mall. The (G) and the (H) runs along the West Shore and East Shore (SIR). The HBLR doesn't cut across the park and use the streets as it's route. The commuter rail/super express run parallel to the Staten Island Expressway. It also runs parallel to the Verrazano.

Extension8.jpg?t=1283876239

I think it is pretty good, but I'd just like to say that I think your line should be built into the median of the Staten Island Expressway, instead of running parallel to it. It disturbs the community less and is more cost-efficient.

:cool:

Very interesting thread:tup:

The MTA should be able to run trains or lightrail along Richmond Avenue, the Gowanus, FDR Drive & other places. And what about cable & street cars like in NO & SF?

If LA County figured out how to run trains on city streets, with no affect on bus & car wheels from the embedded track, & have railstations in the middle of some streets, the (MTA) certainly can. It'd be great.

SF's cable cars & NO's streetcars, both species of trolley, would be cool & interesting to have back in NYC & Metro Region again. Maybe they're a possibility for some of the ideas in this thread? And like things.

San Fran & The Big Easy figured out how to keep those modes of transit to this day. Certainly NY's (MTA), & bordering/neighboring TAs can figure out a way to bring trolleys back to this area?

NY is the "greatest city" in the world after all:o

Good points. Some candidates for streetcars are roads that are very wide (like Richmond Avenue south of Victory Blvd). I'm sure it would be helpful to the community to have the trains at-grade so they have easy access.

• 4 weeks later...

Not being mean to reactivate a dead thread, but what type of extension do Staten Islanders want. Is a (G) or future lime green (H) extension better or is a (1) and a future (7) extension better. I do have a problem with replacing the ferry. I love it and it would be sad to see it go. Though from recent NIMBYS they don't want any extension to Manhattan they seem to want an extension to Brooklyn and Queens. Possibly because they want a two seat ride not a one seat ride or they don't want to see the ferry go away.

Not being mean to reactivate a dead thread, but what type of extension do Staten Islanders want. Is a (G) or future lime green (H) extension better or is a (1) and a future (7) extension better. I do have a problem with replacing the ferry. I love it and it would be sad to see it go. Though from recent NIMBYS they don't want any extension to Manhattan they seem to want an extension to Brooklyn and Queens. Possibly because they want a two seat ride not a one seat ride or they don't want to see the ferry go away.

How many times do you have to bring the same thing up? It's not going to happen anyway.:mad:

That's the point of the Cross Harbor Tunnel..... its supposed to be a bi-level tunnel. One level for the freight and the other level for the subway, similar to the 63rd St Tunnel - knocking two birds in one stone. Why w/ the whole (G), lime H, (1) and (7) extensions?

That's the point of the Cross Harbor Tunnel..... its supposed to be a bi-level tunnel. One level for the freight and the other level for the subway, similar to the 63rd St Tunnel - knocking two birds in one stone. Why w/ the whole (G), lime H, (1) and (7) extensions?

We know what the (G), (1) and (7) are. wtf is the (H)?

It isn't in his context, obviously. And the (H) is nonexistent in the minds of the laymen in real life.
Please!! tell me you not refering to me, if so pump your breaks. If you actually take the time to read, I was replying to Roadcrusier's comment...... If I took what you said the wrong way, I apologize.

Where are you getting ANY of this from?

It doesn't serve Staten Island in any way though.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Lmao@bs detector

Back to topic

Will they ever re build the north shore line for the SIR.

I believe there was a meeting about the North Shore Line earlier this year, but I don't know the outcome of the said meeting, however.

Here is the thread about it: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19484

It appears that, as a result of this, they are leaning more towards light rail so that it could be extended down South Avenue towards the Teleport (I still stand by my decision that heavy rail is best-the problem of grading from the below-ground ROW in Mariners' Harbor to South Avenue can be solved by having it start its upgrade further east.)

This is my other fantasy map. In this one the commuter rail runs several blocks west of Todts Hill even though it looks like its running on it. It shares a four track tunnel with the (G) and now because of complaints of me calling it the (H) a new crosstown service. The (1), and (7) with the (7) being extended to South Ferry has been extended to the North and West Shore of Staten Island to Prince's Bay terminating there. The Hudson Bergen Light Rail runs down the heart of Staten Island allowing people to transfer to the Commuter Rail, (1), (7), and whatever the new crosstown service would be called. Also allowing people to access New Jersey and the Mall. The commuter rail runs along the Triboro Rx right of way to College Point, Queens with a transfer at 59th St. The Hudson Bergen Light Rail runs to Eltingville.

SIRManahatta.jpg?t=1286417633

Dear lord, no! Let SI have connections to NJT. At most an SIRT spur to Brooklyn with a transfer to the (R). Give this nonsense about subway service to SI a rest.

At a time when even New Jersey is desperate to build a connection to New York City and doesn't have the money to do it?

This is my other fantasy map. In this one the commuter rail runs several blocks west of Todts Hill even though it looks like its running on it. It shares a four track tunnel with the (G) and now because of complaints of me calling it the (H) a new crosstown service. The (1), and (7) with the (7) being extended to South Ferry has been extended to the North and West Shore of Staten Island to Prince's Bay terminating there. The Hudson Bergen Light Rail runs down the heart of Staten Island allowing people to transfer to the Commuter Rail, (1), (7), and whatever the new crosstown service would be called. Also allowing people to access New Jersey and the Mall. The commuter rail runs along the Triboro Rx right of way to College Point, Queens with a transfer at 59th St. The Hudson Bergen Light Rail runs to Eltingville.

I didn't really see anything wrong with the old map. I think was better to have the original idea of the commuter rail to Manhattan that would serve former express bus riders, as well as expand service to places like Red Hook, Brooklyn, and the East Side of Manhattan.

As far as the (H) goes, what could be done is to run both the South/East Shore and North/West Shore through the tunnel between SI and Brooklyn, and have the (H) take over the Triboro RX.

Dear lord, no! Let SI have connections to NJT. At most an SIRT spur to Brooklyn with a transfer to the (R). Give this nonsense about subway service to SI a rest.

At this point, these are just fantasy maps. In an ideal world, they would be built, but, especally in this economic climate, they are just distant dreams.

As far as the subway service, if you think about it, how much extra money would it really cost to extend it to the Church Avenue station to connect with the (G), as opposed to leaving it at 59th Street? The commuter rail line is supposed to appease customers used to express bus service who wouldn't want to switch to the subway.

As far as the subway service, if you think about it, how much extra money would it really cost to extend it to the Church Avenue station to connect with the (G), as opposed to leaving it at 59th Street?
Do I need to remind you of the current cost of a 35-block SAS?

SIR will never become part of the subway, ever. This topic has been beaten to death by railfans for 30 years, SIRT is FRA governed, CSX has trackage rights on all active and inactive rights of way, including the north shore line.

They recently took delivery of 4 BL20G locomotives for equipment moves and work trains.

I hope that can put to rest the foam (probably won't).

- A

Archived