Manhattan/General Bus Ideas

Mysterious2train

Oh snap did the MTA build a new loop for the M15 SBS? I have to check it out. Also, another extension idea I had was the M104. Just a short extension up to City College. It's an extension of 1/2 a mile or a little over that.

Possible routing:

Broadway -> 135th St -> Amsterdam Av -> back down on 138th St

The last stop, ideally, would be Amsterdam Av around 136th or 137th St.

I know it would duplicate the (1) train, but its better than it sounds

Advantages:

- A one-seat bus ride down Broadway as far as 42nd St [i know a lot of people who use the (1) to travel between 137th St and around 96th St and the Upper West Side]

- An alternative to the (1) - The route suffers from problems a lot more than you think - one morning two weeks ago, for example, the (1) was suffering from Flooding - people going uptown could have really used the 104 back there :)

I shared it in other routes, but I'll do it here.

1. The M6: Reinstated, and the M5 returns to its pre-cut terminal.

2. The M61: The route is the northern sister of the M60. Its Queens terminal is LaGuardia, but its Manhattan terminal is Riverbank Park vis Broadway.

3. The M12: The M1 South Ferry branch is split with a new route. The M12 goes from South Ferry to Grand Central via Park Avenue South.

4. The M97: A West Street/11th/W. End Av. limited going from Battery Park City/Veset Street to Columbia University.

5. M1: Its weekend terminal is canned.

6. The M18: Reinstated and extended to W. 193rd Street.

7. The M42: Revive the Javits Center branch.

2. The M61: The route is the northern sister of the M60. Its Queens terminal is LaGuardia, but its Manhattan terminal is Riverbank Park vis Broadway.

3. The M12: The M1 South Ferry branch is split with a new route. The M12 goes from South Ferry to Grand Central via Park Avenue South.

4. The M97: A West Street/11th/W. End Av. limited going from Battery Park City/Veset Street to Columbia University.

Making that M61 run to Riverbank Park wont hit the parts where it starts picking up the load of passengers, the M60 starts at the point where it picks up a good majority of passengers, mostly because that its right by a few hotels.

M12, I dont see that happening at all, it would pretty much duplicate what was the old M1/current M5. Ridership south of 8th Street was never so hot with the M1.

M97, I can probably see that going along, a dedicated route from the West Side to Columbia University, but in a way, it would be duplicating (1) line service.

Thats just my $0.02

I won't beat a dead horse....

don't see the point... what riders are you trying to attract with this route?

The current M60 works b/c it's taking on Columbia students living in Astoria (usually), or some part of manhattan north of 125... so they use it to xfer to another route (or a connecting subway)... Also, the M60 takes on (1) riders (coming from points south of 116th) wishing airport service....

The M1 has been botched up enough as it is....

I agree that bus service on the west side (the M11 & the M20) is inadequate, but such a route probably wouldn't last long enough to make a real difference... 11th/west isn't that dense enough where a full-fledged route is warranted....

on paper, this idea makes *some* iota of sense, but that's about as far as it goes....

for what?

I mean, you'd be better off proposing more service on the M3, and creating short turns (b/w CPN & 193rd) during random times of the day on the route

agreed, even if it's like 1 bus/hour that goes there....

my replies, bolded

The M1 has the lowest Weekend ridership [in 2009] of the 5th Av/Madison routes. And since it now has the exact same route as the M2 and M3, it's grounds for the (MTA) to call the routing duplicative, cite low ridership, etc. I'm not happy to see the M1 cut [it was probably one of the single most affected routes of the service cuts] but as long as the M2 and M3 are not overflowing with people on Saturday and Sunday, it seems like the MTA will not reverse their decision. B)

Speaking of the M2 and M3, the M3 is longer and busier than the M2. So it seems kind of odd to the M2 LTD and M3 local. Now that I think about, it seems odd the M2 has night service over the M3 as well. But I know the old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :P

Also, if it seems like a lot of my bus ideas are centered around the Harlem/City College area, it's probably just a coincedence. :P

The M1 has the lowest Weekend ridership [in 2009] of the 5th Av/Madison routes. And since it now has the exact same route as the M2 and M3, it's grounds for the (MTA) to call the routing duplicative, cite low ridership, etc. I'm not happy to see the M1 cut [it was probably one of the single most affected routes of the service cuts] but as long as the M2 and M3 are not overflowing with people on Saturday and Sunday, it seems like the MTA will not reverse their decision. B)

Speaking of the M2 and M3, the M3 is longer and busier than the M2. So it seems kind of odd to the M2 LTD and M3 local. Now that I think about, it seems odd the M2 has night service over the M3 as well. But I know the old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :P

Also, if it seems like a lot of my bus ideas are centered around the Harlem/City College area, it's probably just a coincedence. :P

I think the major reason the M3 doesn't have night service is because it basicly runs parallel to the subway from 110 Street north, whereas the M2 does not. I also like how the M2 is either limited, or local, but never both at the same time.

As far as ideas go, I would reinstate the M6 and have it run only betweenHouston Street, and 59th street. The route would be interlined with short turn M5's most of the time. It would run during weekday rush hours only, with 15 minute headways.

I think the major reason the M3 doesn't have night service is because it basicly runs parallel to the subway from 110 Street north, whereas the M2 does not. I also like how the M2 is either limited, or local, but never both at the same time.

As far as ideas go, I would reinstate the M6 and have it run only betweenHouston Street, and 59th street. The route would be interlined with short turn M5's most of the time. It would run during weekday rush hours only, with 15 minute headways.

That would mean sending the M6 to Manhattanville, which has its ups and downs (downs because of no RTSs :P ) if the MTA were to split the M5 with MJQ, that would have been a brilliant idea, but what I was thinking was to send the M6 to South Ferry all times, with Rush Hour trips from the M5 to South Ferry.

That would mean sending the M6 to Manhattanville, if the MTA were to split the M5 with MJQ, that would have been a brilliant idea, but what I was thinking was to send the M6 to South Ferry all times, with Rush Hour trips from the M5 to South Ferry.

Yeah that does make more sense!:tup:

How about bringing back the X25 and 90? Instead of putting MCI's on them, put regular 40' on them, change them into limiteds

The x25 then and now in limited form would be completely useless. As for the x90, thats what the M15 is for.

The X90 is adequately covered by the M15, as they both went to the eastern part of Lower Manhattan in the Financial District. What could be done with the X25 is an extension of the M98 from 68th Street to Lower Manhattan via Lexington Avenue, 23rd Street, the FDR Drive, and Water Street.

Even if the M98 isn't extended all the way to Lower Manhattan, it should at least go to 59th Street to connect with the (N)/(Q)/®, as well as the Q32, Q60, and Q101 buses to Queens.

I would restructure M1-M5 service. It doesn't make sense that three routes out of the M1-4 all have limited service, but the M1 and M3 have rather infrequent limited service that only lasts for 1-2 hours (and in peak direction only, too).

(M1) would run 7 days a week from its current terminal in Harlem to South Ferry. It would be Limited-only during peak hours (like today's M2).

(M2) would be all local, but remain the same otherwise.

(M3) would remain the same.

(M4) would remain the same (both local and limited service).

(M5) would be cut back to its pre-June terminal.

Thoughts/suggestions? That's pretty much undoing the cuts, but restructuring service so that the (M5) is shortened, and that the longer route gets the limited service. To balance costs weekend-service wise, the (M2) or (M3) could be shortened to the current (M1) weekend terminal, which would also remove duplicate service (this way service is just being restructured rather than added).

Another suggestion I have is to restructure QM2/A/3 service. There is no reason why the QM3 should serve stops on Northern Blvd. west of Flushing in only one direction. How are these people supposed to get to work in the morning? Manhattan-bound QM3 trips should stop along Northern Blvd. all the way to 73rd St. and Northern Blvd. (current first stop going Queens-bound) instead of hopping on the highway just west of Flushing. This would increase ridership, which would justify adding runs to the current pitiful 3 peak runs per rush hour schedule. Also, why do the QM2/A use Northern Blvd. going Queens-bound but the highway going Manhattan-bound, when there are no stops being made? Just use the faster road during all hours to streamline service.

(Also, this thread should just be renamed General Bus Ideas lol)

Even if the M98 isn't extended all the way to Lower Manhattan, it should at least go to 59th Street to connect with the (N)/(Q)/®, as well as the Q32, Q60, and Q101 buses to Queens.

Good luck with that one, because it will never happen! But I do have to agree that it should at least run down to 59th. That was one sevice cut I truly did not understand.

I would restructure M1-M5 service. It doesn't make sense that three routes out of the M1-4 all have limited service, but the M1 and M3 have rather infrequent limited service that only lasts for 1-2 hours (and in peak direction only, too).

(M1) would run 7 days a week from its current terminal in Harlem to South Ferry. It would be Limited-only during peak hours (like today's M2).

Thoughts/suggestions? That's pretty much undoing the cuts, but restructuring service so that the (M5) is shortened, and that the longer route gets the limited service. To balance costs weekend-service wise, the (M2) or (M3) could be shortened to the current (M1) weekend terminal, which would also remove duplicate service (this way service is just being restructured rather than added).

Another suggestion I have is to restructure QM2/A/3 service. There is no reason why the QM3 should serve stops on Northern Blvd. west of Flushing in only one direction. How are these people supposed to get to work in the morning? Manhattan-bound QM3 trips should stop along Northern Blvd. all the way to 73rd St. and Northern Blvd. (current first stop going Queens-bound) instead of hopping on the highway just west of Flushing. This would increase ridership, which would justify adding runs to the current pitiful 3 peak runs per rush hour schedule. Also, why do the QM2/A use Northern Blvd. going Queens-bound but the highway going Manhattan-bound, when there are no stops being made? Just use the faster road during all hours to streamline service.

The (M3) has no limited-stop service-it is the (M4)

The thing is that, if you restructured the (M1) and (M5), there would be no bus service along 6th Avenue.

Perhaps the (M104) can switch terminals with the (M5) south of Columbus Circle, to shorten the length of the (M5).

Thoughts/suggestions?

It should be, but I can't edit my initial post anymore. :(

The substiutes for the M1 are pretty much the (4)(5)(6) and (R), since it doesn't run on Park Av or to SF anymore. But if the M1 ever goes to SF, there could be a compromise, like less service. For example, during AM Rush Hour, instead of having LTD and Local service going to South Ferry, you can just have LTD service instead. Also, just a note, there's no Southbound bus service at Union Sq anymore, so unless you walk over to 5 Av for the M5, you're pretty much taking the train.

Am I the only one who thinks the Bx28 could use a LTD? :P

It should be, but I can't edit my initial post anymore. :(

The substiutes for the M1 are pretty much the (4)(5)(6) and (R), since it doesn't run on Park Av or to SF anymore. But if the M1 ever goes to SF, there could be a compromise, like less service. For example, during AM Rush Hour, instead of having LTD and Local service going to South Ferry, you can just have LTD service instead. Also, just a note, there's no Southbound bus service at Union Sq anymore, so unless you walk over to 5 Av for the M5, you're pretty much taking the train.

Am I the only one who thinks the Bx28 could use a LTD? :P

Nope, I feel the same way too. And a host of other routes

A great idea if amsterdam kan handle MCI at least for refuel/storage make is a midday express annex. Garage like SC, JFK, FR & CP kan kut gas cost in half almost. If 110-120 40FT kan fit that about 90-105 MCI that kan be stored. Instead of wasted deadheadin back to Yonkers, South Brooklyn, Northern Queens & The Rockaways.

A great idea if amsterdam kan handle MCI at least for refuel/storage make is a midday express annex. Garage like SC, JFK, FR & CP kan kut gas cost in half almost. If 110-120 40FT kan fit that about 90-105 MCI that kan be stored. Instead of wasted deadheadin back to Yonkers, South Brooklyn, Northern Queens & The Rockaways.

That would be nice, but that is a rather long deadhead for most of the routes that start below 57th. Plus Amsterdam is now home to the vintage bus fleet, I dont think that would work.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

I think I'll give this a shot...

Scrap the M16 and replace it with an extended M34. Above 8 Av/34 St, The M16 is pretty redundant since it has plenty of other alternatives like the M20, and the (A)(C) & (E) trains. Just extended the M34 down to Waterside Plz and combine the frequencies. Although the M16/M34 pair come like every 3.5 mins during the peak hours, 2 seperate routes aren't necessary.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

I think I'll give this a shot...

Scrap the M16 and replace it with an extended M34. Above 8 Av/34 St, The M16 is pretty redundant since it has plenty of other alternatives like the M20, and the (A)(C) & (E) trains. Just extended the M34 down to Waterside Plz and combine the frequencies. Although the M16/M34 pair come like every 3.5 mins during the peak hours, 2 seperate routes aren't necessary.

I beg to differ....

the M16/34 is one of two crosstown "pairings" that's needed in manhattan (the m31/57 being the other)... the MTA got it right by getting rid of the M30 & the M27.... anyway, it's not really about redundancy when you have the M16 serving a certain section of the east side that's cumbersome to get that part of midtown (general area around PABT)....

...now w/ the M42 only terminating over there w/ the M50 on the west side at the pier 80's, your "shot" would leave w/e riders @ the javits ctr. dead stranded....

...and the M20 is noooo alternative; hell w/ off peak, bro - you try waiting for that bus during rush hour.

...and no one's gonna come off the M16/34 & take the (A), (C), or (E) 1 stop to port authority; doesn't make sense...

I see what you're trying to convey with this, but you can't solely look at the map & (fairly) come up w/ these conclusions.... you have to get a feel of/for the riders habits also....

That would be nice, but that is a rather long deadhead for most of the routes that start below 57th. Plus Amsterdam is now home to the vintage bus fleet, I dont think that would work.

The FDR or the Westside highway will work it is less of a deadhead then koming from spring creek, Yokners & CP. As for the museum Fleet Grand Av or ENY old CMF builden kan make a new home for them. I think the pros out weight the cons in trems of Buses Wasting all that gas just to kome back to the city. With amsterdam as a express annex most if not all midday swing would never have to leave manhattan.

I beg to differ....

the M16/34 is one of two crosstown "pairings" that's needed in manhattan (the m31/57 being the other)... the MTA got it right by getting rid of the M30 & the M27.... anyway, it's not really about redundancy when you have the M16 serving a certain section of the east side that's cumbersome to get that part of midtown (general area around PABT)....

...now w/ the M42 only terminating over there w/ the M50 on the west side at the pier 80's, your "shot" would leave w/e riders @ the javits ctr. dead stranded....

...and the M20 is noooo alternative; hell w/ off peak, bro - you try waiting for that bus during rush hour.

...and no one's gonna come off the M16/34 & take the (A), (C), or (E) 1 stop to port authority; doesn't make sense...

I see what you're trying to convey with this, but you can't solely look at the map & (fairly) come up w/ these conclusions.... you have to get a feel of/for the riders habits also....

I do have a feel for the riders, I myself is a daily rider of the M16/M34 going to and from work (mostly the M16 since it stops in front of my job). Once the bus gets to 34 St & 8 Av, the bus basically empties out excepot for maybe 4 people. Traffic on 8 Av between 34 & 42 Sts is a nightmare with all the taxis and buses in and out of PABT. Once the M16 leaves Waterside, it goes right by the M34 terminal by the heliport. The new M34 can (hypothetically) make a stop at the heliport after leaving Waterside and continue on its way to 11 Av. At the M16 first stop on 9 Av & 42 St, about maybe 4 or 5 people get on but they usually get off before 34 St, as an alternative to the M11. If you combine both frequencies of the pair, you'll have 1 bus that comes just as often as 2 buses

Archived