B44 +SelectBusService+

Iamthe1

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I vehemently opposed that routing a while back for various reasons, but now I am almost indifferent to what they choose to do with the southern end of the B44.

for whatever it is worth, I did not think it was a good idea to take service away from Plumb Beach since it is more of a transit desert than SB station area.

does anybody know if the dashed double lines through the Flatbush/Nostrand intersection have anything to do with the proposed left turn bans there? I hope they do actually ban the left turns (except for buses and emergency vehicles of course) like they said they would. if they are, they just have yet to post the signs.

I vehemently opposed that routing a while back for various reasons, but now I am almost indifferent to what they choose to do with the southern end of the B44.

as long it does not negatively affect service north of JCT.

well actually I only care what they choose to do with the southern end of the B44 for the sake of at least one very thoughtful person on this forum other than myself.

Does anyone think the B44 SBS stops should be added or subtracted?

I do I think the Ave X station should be moved to Ave Z... would be a easier transfer point

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk now Free

for whatever it is worth, I did not think it was a good idea to take service away from Plumb Beach since it is more of a transit desert than SB station area.

does anybody know if the dashed double lines through the Flatbush/Nostrand intersection have anything to do with the proposed left turn bans there? I hope they do actually ban the left turns (except for buses and emergency vehicles of course) like they said they would. if they are, they just have yet to post the signs.

I never said take all b44 service out of plumb beach... maybe just like 3 sbs buses per hour during rush hours to help with over crowding on the 36 and the 44's that terminate at sheapshead could make a revenue rune as B36 to ave U where they would continue as B44 sbs

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk now Free

I vehemently opposed that routing a while back for various reasons

I still do....

well actually I only care what they choose to do with the southern end of the B44 for the sake of at least one very thoughtful person on this forum other than myself.

Who might that be? B-)

Does anyone think the B44 SBS stops should be added or subtracted?

I guess I'd be the wrong person to ask... lol....

-Running the B44SBS and B44 two blocks apart going the same direction is probably going to lead to a lot of confusion!

Hopefully they do something about this.

-Hewes St and Lee/Taylor are too close together

- Albeit 2 long blocks (new york <----> rogers), I agree with the general point....

To add to it, it's gonna lead to anger, is what it's gonna lead to.

They'll do something about it, but it's gonna come with a service cut....

Saying this another way, they will not permanently leave B44 NB local service on NY av and have B44 NB SBS service on Rogers av... Book it.

* (NICE can get away with that w/ the [difference in routing of the] N22 (with that backtrack it makes after serving Mineola intermodal) & the N22x because 1] WB, the desired destination of the masses is further out from the other major xfer points along the N22 "core" route, and 2]) said WB desired destination of the masses is centralized (Jamaica)....

Neither of which can be said about the travel patterns on the B44; the masses of B44 riders aren't tryna get to a central location of sorts; like with most urban local routes, there are more major xfer points on the route that more of the passenger activity is reflective of.....

I know you didn't mention the N22 n22, but I'm using (the difference in routing w/ it w/ the 22x & why that pans out for that route) it as an example..... Nobody that takes 22x's think twice about not running along the 22 portion b/w mineola intermodal & hillside/willis....

People around here however are gonna be miffed that B44 SBS' won't run up NY av (KCH & Vanderveer, erm, "Flatbush Gardens" {as they now call it... which the "gardens" part is fooling nobody... which is the same dump it always was w/ a different dam name appended to it}, are two main reasons)

- As far as the short gap difference b/w Hewes & Lee/Taylor, Iono, I guess it's to make up for the long gaps b/w [the junction & kings hwy] & [kings hwy & Av U] "stations" :lol:

-Running the B44SBS and B44 two blocks apart going the same direction is probably going to lead to a lot of confusion! Hopefully they do something about this.

-Hewes St and Lee/Taylor are too close together

1. Well, they could not re-route the B44. But hey, all the passengers is need is MTA workers at the stops for the first 2 weeks  :rolleyes:

2. Keep in mind, the B44 local will still be terminating at Flushing Av. 

Here's a list of all Southbound B44 stops between Washington Plaza and Flushing Av. SBS stops are in blue:

- Washington Plaza

- S 8 St

- Taylor St

- Ross St

- Williamsburg St

- Hewes St

- Rodney St

- Lynch St

- Flushing Av

Because only SBS service will run between Washington Plaza and Flushing Av, every stop listed in black will no longer have any daytime service. The Hewes St stop was added to reduce the distance people have to walk to get to an SBS stop.

(For the record, the Hewes St stop wasn't originally planned. The original idea was to extend B44 local service to Washington Plaza, and the SBS would run straight from Taylor to Flushing, but this was axed because ridership above Flushing Av is low. This was when Hewes St was added as a stop.)

The locals will end at Flushing? How retarded

Outside of early morning/late night service, B44 locals during the day already end at Flushing....

The LTD's run to WBP, while the locals end at Flushing....

The SBS's running to WBP, with the locals ending at Flushing isn't preposterous (or retarded, as you put it)..... There are simply not that many people on the B44 riding north of Flushing to have all B44's (locals & LTD's [or would be SBS']) terminating at WBP..... Whatever crowding you see @ WBP for the B44 is due to a late bus, and/or ppl coming off the subway & other connecting buses around the same instance of time..... That happens....

Ridership @ WBP for the B44 is hardly consistent... Well, not like for it for the B46 anyway...

I'll stop here.

To be fair, ridership above Flushing Av is lower than the rest of the route.

Even right now, on weekdays, every other B44 Limited bus ends at Flushing Av instead of going to Washington Plaza. 

Case in point....

Hell, even LTD's are ending at Flushing? I didn't realize that..... That further illustrates the point.

2 sundays ago I took the B44 LTD to WBP... Had it not been for a jewish couple w/ 8-10 kids (looked like they were going on a trip or something... I doubt those were all their kids), I would've been the only person on the bus from Wallabout to WBP... It was around the same time of day as this post [12-1pm].... I took the opportunity to fan the B32 afterwards (which arrived at the WBP stop right behind a Queens bound B62)....

Most the ppl. that were waiting at the stop took the Q59 that came like 5 mins earlier.... as for the 10 of us or so that were still there afterwards, you can guess how many ppl. boarded the 62, compared to the 32 !

Again, I'll stop here.

To be fair, ridership above Flushing Av is lower than the rest of the route. Even right now, on weekdays, every other B44 Limited bus ends at Flushing Av instead of going to Washington Plaza. 

Despite the avatar next to my name, I've been on the 44 since the summer pick, and I can tell you that with every other LTD terminating at Flushing Avenue, northbound, is because of the traffic from the Jewish folks north of Flushing heading into Williamsburg; it can get overwhelming. The weekends aren't as bad, thus why all LTDs go to the bridge. The same concept goes for the 46 and why every other LTD terminates at Dekalb Avenue, because of the traffic along Broadway.

Saw Bus Lanes being painted between the Junction and Avenue I northbound. I'm assuming that by the time I get to the area today, the southbound lanes should be begun or finished.

I thought the exclusive lanes were only supposed to be north of Farragut and for a few blocks in Sheepshead Bay.

Are the lanes painted in the parking lane?

you mean:

-curbside, northbound, b/w "I" and "H"

-curbside, southbound, b/w Farragut and Flatbush

-no bus lanes on Flatbush (just to clarify)

-offset bus lane on Rogers b/w Farragut and Empire (again, just to clarify)

I will be really happy if they permanently eliminate parking on the southbound side of Nostrand b/w Glenwood and FB. better yet b/w FB and Farragut..

it is so funny how when you have like 8 cars followed by a bus on the southbound side there, the bus almost never makes the signal after it becomes green because of the time it takes for 8 motorists to react to the signal changing and the fact that they all need to leave following distances and whatnot.

the other day there were like 2 or 3 cars then 3 buses back to back to back (one rigid and two Artics), and all three buses made it through the signal because not as many motorists had to react to the changing signal and leave following distances and whatnot.

spirits in the material world..

I forgot something real important.

-banning parking on the southbound side permanently is fine as long as the bus lane is there and in effect at all times.

-if you ban parking on the northbound side, you had better put a bus lane next to the curb or plant trees or widen the sidewalk or something, otherwise the dreaded induced demand theory of transportation will screw up everything, making you feel like you rearranged the deckchairs on the Titanic. (you do not want to give up a parking lane and turn it into a moving lane w/o restricting private automobile access to it.)

it seems like they could actually permanently get rid of the 7-8 metered parking spaces that currently exist on the southbound side of Nostrand over there and add back 6-7 metered parking spaces elsewhere in the area: make the northbound and southbound bus stops at Nostrand/Glenwood a bit shorter and get rid of the outdated bus layover area sign in front of the Rite Aid from back when the Q35 used to terminate there. (and make those metered parking spaces.)

Paddles are ready for the SBS44. 

There are 4-5 timepoints.

-Knapp & Shore Pkwy

-Nostrand & Avenue U

-Nostrand & Flatbush

-Flushing & Bedford/Nostrand

-Williamsburg Bridge

Every other SBS will short turn at Flushing (as the current LTD service is during the weekday), and every other SBS terminates at Avenue U & Nostrand. They even have Flushing & Avenue U SBS terminations on the weekends now.

After I've printed my schedules for SBS, I'll break down the running time compared to the current limited-stop service.

An northbound SBS run starting at 2:44pm at Knapp, terminating at Flushing at 3:47pm - that's 63 minute running time; compared to the limited-stop service now which will have a bus leaving at 2:46pm and terminating at Flushing at 4:05pm, which is 79 minutes running time; 16 minute running time difference. Now this is with the current conditions of Farragut Rd., New York Ave. & Fulton Street in the mix.

An southbound SBS run starting at Flushing Avenue, 7:01pm, terminating at Knapp Street at 7:57pm - that's 56 minute running time; compared to the current limited-stop service, which leaves at 7:04pm, terminating at Knapp, 8:07pm, 63 minutes running time; 7 minute running time difference. This comparison is straight Nostrand Avenue.

I can't wait to start it up..

Paddles are ready for the SBS44. 

There are 4-5 timepoints.

-Knapp & Shore Pkwy

-Nostrand & Avenue U

-Nostrand & Flatbush

-Flushing & Bedford/Nostrand

-Williamsburg Bridge

Every other SBS will short turn at Flushing (as the current LTD service is during the weekday), and every other SBS terminates at Avenue U & Nostrand. They even have Flushing & Avenue U SBS terminations on the weekends now.

After I've printed my schedules for SBS, I'll break down the running time compared to the current limited-stop service.

An northbound SBS run starting at 2:44pm at Knapp, terminating at Flushing at 3:47pm - that's 63 minute running time; compared to the limited-stop service now which will have a bus leaving at 2:46pm and terminating at Flushing at 4:05pm, which is 79 minutes running time; 16 minute running time difference. Now this is with the current conditions of Farragut Rd., New York Ave. & Fulton Street in the mix.

An southbound SBS run starting at Flushing Avenue, 7:01pm, terminating at Knapp Street at 7:57pm - that's 56 minute running time; compared to the current limited-stop service, which leaves at 7:04pm, terminating at Knapp, 8:07pm, 63 minutes running time; 7 minute running time difference. This comparison is straight Nostrand Avenue.

I can't wait to start it up..

The local will be extended to Sheepshead Bay on the weekends though, right? So that every other SBS running down there is just a service enhancement.

looks like too much running time to me. at most it should take 26 minutes to get from Flatbush to Flushing (28 from Flushing to "H") with the bus lanes and curb extensions and decent signals on unidirectional roads.

well right now you do have a good deal of slowness since the construction on Nostrand in Bed-Stuy is not going to be done for about another year, so perhaps they decided to allow a lot of time since buses have to move slowly on the messed up part of Nostrand. not a problem if that is the case. relatively speaking.

as long as it takes like 13-14 minutes to get from Sterling (forget about Lincoln Pl; traffic and signals b/w Eastern Pkwy and Sullivan are so bad that you can move faster than the automobiles just by jogging lightly when the bus lane is not in effect there) to "H" whenever the (5) is not running to Flatbush it is pretty much ok. this is real important for people coming back from the city/Downtown BK when the (3) is going to show up for them very soon at any station east of Franklin (inclusive) but the next (2) is like 10+ minutes behind the (3) and is delayed and crowded and whatnot (this happens a lot during the times that the (5) is not running to FB). I did extensive calculations relating to this.

in such situations it is better to take the (3) to Nostrand/EP and then walk or jog lightly to Sterling and then take the southbound 44 SBS to wherever than wait 15+ minutes for a delayed and crowded (2) that is 10+ minutes behind the (3). or even 8+ or 9+ behind the (3) sometimes since that (2) can fall behind even more due to long dwell times in stations due to overcrowding.

The local will be extended to Sheepshead Bay on the weekends though, right? So that every other SBS running down there is just a service enhancement.

Every other local will terminate at Ave U, weekdays & weekends; the rest will continue to Emmons Avenue.

Northbound: only SBS will serve the bridge; all locals terminate at Flushing Avenue..

Archived