B44 +SelectBusService+

Iamthe1

Passing by today, they were installing a bus shelter on the sb side. Also north of the subway entrance. Quite a number of workers around. Didn't stick around long to see if they got the machines running yet. 

I'll know by tomorrow morning since I work in the area.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, so back onto the 44SBS topic ... 

I guess we're awaiting the timetable for the new service. Less than two weeks til launch and it hasn't been put up yet. Folks on the bus have been asking me for the SBS map, etc..

I am not a customer, but i too want to know re SBS, how it works and where it goes

hehehe

You know, after really thinking about the SBS going north on Rogers Avenue, I'm looking at the positives to this routing as Rogers Avenue is pretty dense with traffic, and population wise, but as a frequent motorist of Rogers Avenue I can't help but notice how many businesses I've seen with closed gates along Rogers, as busy as the corridor is.. And I've come to the conclusion that perhaps SBS will, eventually, build business establishments in the long run.. therefore becoming another Nostrand Avenue, but in a northbound sense. You can thank the lack of B49 service (that comes every 3 years) for leaving Rogers in a dead-zone, so to speak.

Btw, I'm too lazy to look through all 63-pages of this thread to see if this point was referred to already, but whatever..

I have the new timetable for the 44SBS.

During the weekday, the first SBS operates at 5:20am, starting from Flatbush & Nostrand Avenues, northbound, terminating at the Bridge. The first bus from Sheepshead Bay starts from Shore Pkwy at 6:00am, terminating at Flushing Avenue.

It looks like during the AM peak period between 7am-9am, all SBS will start at Shore Pkwy, terminating either at Flushing or the bridge, but prior and after the said time, all SBS' from Shore Pkwy will terminate at Flushing Avenue; while the SBS' starting at Avenue U will terminate at the bridge. It won't be a one-shot ride if you're coming from south of Avenue U trying to reach the bridge; you'll have to change buses at some point for a SBS originating from Avenue U.

The headway seems to be about 3-5 minutes during the AM rush in both directions, for weekdays.

What I do admire is that they are not 'over-serving' the 44 route south of Avenue, which will keep consistency with full buses instead of half empty ones (LFSAs). And even on the weekends it seems that the SBS buses from Shore Pkwy will be about 20 min-headways, and then 10 minutes after Avenue U (the short turns of course).

I won't go too much into detail as the timetable/map should debut onto TA's website in a few days.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bkln/b044scur.pdf

just had to go to the current link: http://www.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bkln/b044cur.pdf

and then put in an "s" between "b044" and "cur" (same goes for bx012cur/bx012scur and m015cur/m015scur)

there is way too much running time even on weekends IMO, unless they expect much of that running time to be used to operate slowly on the messed up part of Nostrand (if that is the case then I can see where they are coming from with all that running time)

I have the new timetable for the 44SBS.

During the weekday, the first SBS operates at 5:20am, starting from Flatbush & Nostrand Avenues, northbound, terminating at the Bridge. The first bus from Sheepshead Bay starts from Shore Pkwy at 6:00am, terminating at Flushing Avenue.

It looks like during the AM peak period between 7am-9am, all SBS will start at Shore Pkwy, terminating either at Flushing or the bridge, but prior and after the said time, all SBS' from Shore Pkwy will terminate at Flushing Avenue; while the SBS' starting at Avenue U will terminate at the bridge. It won't be a one-shot ride if you're coming from south of Avenue U trying to reach the bridge; you'll have to change buses at some point for a SBS originating from Avenue U.

The headway seems to be about 3-5 minutes during the AM rush in both directions, for weekdays.

What I do admire is that they are not 'over-serving' the 44 route south of Avenue, which will keep consistency with full buses instead of half empty ones (LFSAs). And even on the weekends it seems that the SBS buses from Shore Pkwy will be about 20 min-headways, and then 10 minutes after Avenue U (the short turns of course).

I won't go too much into detail as the timetable/map should debut onto TA's website in a few days.

Do you know what the rush hour SBS headway will be south of Avenue U?

http://www.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bkln/b044scur.pdf

just had to go to the current link: http://www.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bkln/b044cur.pdf

and then put in an "s" between "b044" and "cur" (same goes for bx012cur/bx012scur and m015cur/m015scur)

there is way too much running time even on weekends IMO, unless they expect much of that running time to be used to operate slowly on the messed up part of Nostrand (if that is the case then I can see where they are coming from with all that running time)

Yeah, I know you have to add the 'S' to the link, but it wasn't there earlier.

Thanks for the find though - they just uploaded it.

My depot had the timetables for the SBS for the past week and I didn't even know. lol

When I pullout today I'll put them on my bus for folks to look at.

The final meeting concerning the B/44 Select Bus Service at Brooklyn College was held last night and I was there. There was one copy of the select bus schedule available in the hands of the MTA but the question that had come up here was the local service south of Avenue U. This is a big issue in the Sheepshead Bay community as with the end of limited service, many stops will lose service unless replaced by the extension of local service. I had received an E-Mail on Monday reminding about the meeting and another one yesterday which mentioned the continuation of the local service. In neither of the E-Mails was there any mention of the local service south of Avenue U which we do not have when the present limited service is in operation.When I (and others) bought this up at the meeting (or in a conversation on Monday with the MTA), i was told that there would be local service south of Avenue U running 10 -12 minutes apart during the day with no schedules provided, verbally discussed or seen at the meeting (or in the Monday conversation). There is supposed to be a schedule for the local service being issued but when it will be released to the general public, no one would answer me.

This is what is known at this time: When the SBS gets rolling on November 17, there will be personnel at each one of the stops  for the next two weeks helping people learn how to use the machines. The red light presumption, Metrocard machines and times for truck deliveries were also highlighted as to the improvement in running time for the route. 

I raised the issue of the B/36 transferees which normally change at Avenue Z and suggested that the bus drivers on the B/36 start making announcements on November 17 to transfer at Avenue X. I asked that the Ulmer Park garage be notified and that this information be posted on the buses. In addition, I asked if the brochure will be available in Chinese, Russian and Spanish so that it can be posted in the various stores in this community. The persons there seemed to be amenable to the suggestions.

I have learned today that the scaffolding at Avenue X should be removed next week which will restore the sidewalk space.

'

Assemblywoman Helene Weinstein has a copy of the brochure and I have sent an E-Mail to the Brooklyn Public Library asking that this information be posted in their branches on the route as well. 

The question about the artics on the local never came up at the public meetings that I attended with the MTA.

If the headway on the B/44 local service will be 10 - 12 minutes during the weekdays (as I learned at the meeting), then  by all means placing the artics on the local runs  that are operating to/from Knapp Street should be a top priority. The stops at Avenues V, W, Y and Z can become quite crowded and the students coming out of schools at all hours as well as the regular passengers will fill up a 40 foot bus quite quickly prior to arriving at Avenue U. 

It must be noted that this is a totally different SBS as  compared with the other lines that now have it. The routes that are in operation have local services (for the most part) that are running on the same street as the SBS. This B/44 SBS does not follow the local route from the junction to Fulton Street in the northbound direction. This is extremely important as if a considerable percentage of the riders decide not to take the SBS for one reason or another, the local service will run consistently late as it has to handle its regular riders as well as riders that formerly used the limited service (with smaller buses).

What must be kept in mind is that the schedule is subject to all the problems of driving in the city and while there were assurances given about making sure that traffic will move in the area between the junction and Kings Highway, (parking has been eliminated between Farragut Road and the junction, thankfully) the usual is to enforce the law for a few weeks and then forget about it. I hope that this will not happen here.

My prediction is that first new SBS stop to be created will be Avenue R and the local service will go artic as well by the end of next year.

The local buses can handle Ave R and S... I, for one, am happy those stops have been eliminated from express service... I'm tired of being limited and you only pick one or two people with the same number as discharging at those stops.. The local can handle it.

As for south of the Av U in the Bay, those living near Av V can walk to Av U; those at W and Y can walk to Av X - 1 block difference. Av Z stop is usually transfer passengers from the eastbound B36s, which will also serve Av X.

I think it's more efficient this way having these buses load up at one stop rather than spread out as it is now in the Bay - very time consuming, when the bus can be moving and making lights for after service.

I also dislike that because it is not good for the connection to the train there. I was thinking that they would have either the same number of SBS buses as LTD buses or more SBS than LTD buses serving Wash Plaza each hour especially considering the fact that they are going to start running the (M) to Manhattan 7 days a week soon.

My biggest issue with the schedule is way too much running time and I think the overall headways could be better, but headways will probably improve later and they should do something about running time especially once Nostrand in Bed-Stuy is done. I am going to be annoyed if violations are issued to any bus operators running 'ahead of schedule' because it does not makes any sense to allow more than 30 minutes to get from Flushing to "H" on the weekends when traffic is light..at least after Nostrand in Bed-Stuy is done. 30 if it takes 6 minutes to get from St. John's to Sterling, 28 if it takes 4 to go over that problematic stretch (bad traffic signals, too many automobiles and traffic and slowness, and bus lane not always available b/w E Pkwy and Sullivan).

The 35 minutes they allow on Sunday is ok given the current conditions of Nostrand in Bed-Stuy, but the 40-43 minutes they allow most of Saturday is just absurd to me. Dragging the road only on the messed up part of Nostrand makes sense since you want to go slow up there to minimize chassis damage.

Second biggest issue is Wash Plaza service. Well, at least all the rail connections other than that one are well-served by the SBS.

The SBS runs that start in Sheepshead Bay will terminate at Flushing Av, and the SBS runs that start at Avenue U will terminate at the bridge plaza.

That means anyone who gets on south of Avenue U who wants to take advantage of SBS to go north of Flushing Avenue will have to change buses and pay a third fare if he wants another bus at Williamsburg Bridge Plaza.

That means anyone who gets on south of Avenue U who wants to take advantage of SBS to go north of Flushing Avenue will have to change buses and pay a third fare if he wants another bus at Williamsburg Bridge Plaza.

Im pretty sure you can use your same ticket to SBS hop, as long as you're heading in the same direction.

Just did the SBS presentation today for the B44.

The new SBS sign codes will be pretty much updated LTD codes, as follows:

Nortbound SBS code #4444

+Select Bus Service+

Williamsburg Bridge Plz

via Nostrand 

via Rogers

Northbound SBS code #4442

+Select Bus Service+

Flushing Av

via Nostrand

via Rogers

Southbound SBS code #4443