M34 +SelectBusService+

East New York

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's virtually useless and a waste to print a bus schedule with only two (or three for a long route) timepoints. They should just make a frequency pamphlet one page long.

Yeah I agree. They should at least add something like Lexington Ave and 5th Ave (or maybe 6th) like they do on the crosstown buses.

Yeah I agree. They should at least add something like Lexington Ave and 5th Ave (or maybe 6th) like they do on the crosstown buses.

They didnt add 5th or Lex becuz those stop are eliminated and replaced by Park Avenue or a nearby stop.

Oh yeah, but I mean add at least one other time point in that general area rather than just at the ends.

The problem with additional time points is that the driver must wait for time if he/she is early at that point.

Hence why the M15 SBS has no timepoints between 14th and 96th/100th, as that's the busiest and most unpredictable part of the route traffic-wise.

The problem with additional time points is that the driver must wait for time if he/she is early at that point.

Hence why the M15 SBS has no timepoints between 14th and 96th/100th, as that's the busiest and most unpredictable part of the route traffic-wise.

That doesn't make any sense. If additional time points are added, how does the op have to wait for time?? One doesn't really have anything to do with the other.

The op has a paddle that has all time points on it. Some of which don't even show up on the bus schedules.

That might make sense during late night operation where buses run only once every hour or so, but when bues are coming every 3-5 minutes that wouldn't make any sense. Plus the schedules in general aren't always accurate, for example it says that the crosstown bus during the morning rush will take about 10 minutes from York to Lex when it usually takes about 12-15.

1. Orion VIIs. East New York said the M34 will use artics sometime in the future though.

2. Yes. Doesn't make all that much sense for the M34 to have the fare machines and the M16/M34A to have regular on-board fare collection.

Also, if you guys compared the two schedules Mark posted, you'll see that the actual running times themselves are exactly the same. No, really. The only change was coloring the text blue. That's it. It looks like the (MTA) learned from their experience with the M15 SBS running times.

I may have asked this before but this change... What sort of buses will the SBS service use? Also, just to confirm... Looks like the schedule shows that there will be a M34 SBS, a M34A SBS to replace the old M16 and also a regular M34?? So no local bus for the M34A?? :confused:

M16 = M34A SBS

M34 = M34 SBS

It's local service with off-board payment.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=495641&postcount=111

1. Orion VIIs. East New York said the M34 will use artics sometime in the future though.

2. Yes. Doesn't make all that much sense for the M34 to have the fare machines and the M16/M34A to have regular on-board fare collection.

Also, if you guys compared the two schedules Mark posted, you'll see that the actual running times themselves are exactly the same. No, really. The only change was coloring the text blue. That's it. It looks like the (MTA) learned from their experience with the M15 SBS running times.

Correct. However, the reason the time points are the exact same is because the route is using standard 40 footers and not artics. Once/if the service changes over to artics, the schedules will change.

Looking closely it makes sense. They basically make all of the same stops except for the Madison Avenue stop. Just a local bus that allows you to pay before boarding, but it should help speed things up. B/Os get stuck with people running for the bus way too often on that line, especially at 7th Avenue. They need this on the M23 and M42 as well.

Correct. However, the reason the time points are the exact same is because the route is using standard 40 footers and not artics. Once/if the service changes over to artics, the schedules will change.

And will both the M34 and M34A get artics?

I may have asked this before but this change... What sort of buses will the SBS service use? Also, just to confirm... Looks like the schedule shows that there will be a M34 SBS, a M34A SBS to replace the old M16 and also a regular M34?? So no local bus for the M34A?? :confused:

No local bus service on 34th Street. All service uses POP.

I mean if the +SBS+ is like a limited, what stops can you really skip on 34th Street (or any crosstown route for that matter)

I think they should call this something else because it is not Select Bus service. For some reason I get irked by the idea. It's like they're trying to prop this up as the next big thing. How much time do they propose this saving anyway??

Select Bus Service is basically any route with POP, even if the bus doesn't run much faster than it did originally.

Select Bus Service is basically any route with POP, even if the bus doesn't run much faster than it did originally.

LOL... So basically let's give them the illusion of faster service... :) I would not roll this out until artics were on the line. I can see the mess now. Those NGs are just too small. The artics would allow more people to get off quicker and board quicker as well. I use the lines from time to time and I try to avoid them for that reason. All of those people standing in the exit door because there's nowhere else to stand and they'll have to get off and then get on again, so I'm not sure how this will speed things up.

Agreed. Seeing as how the only thing changing now is the fare collection method, any crowding problems or things like that will still remain.

Maybe the M34 SBS should have been held off until Quill gets its new artics after all. But M34 SBS has been delayed for a while now, and I'm guessing the (MTA) wanted to have an SBS route in 2011.

If everything had went without delay, the M15 SBS would've started up in 2009, the M34 last year, the B44 now, and the S79 next year or 2013.

Thrilled beyond belief to see the 3800s leave. I don't know what it is, but the lead-acid NGs are just running MUCH slower than the lithium buses. 4430, I was on it yesterday, is the fastest bus I've ever ridden, and I saw it racing today as well, must have hit close to 45mph when I was on it to 14th Street, that's a fair speed of the middle of the city.

The OGs are holding up nicely as well, so I'd be ecstatic to see 3830-3858 leave like their cousins 3877-3899 did, we'd be down to only 29 lead acid NGs, from 80 just earlier this year. Fingers crossed, from what I've heard from B/Os they hate the buses too, so we can only hope.

That's because the lithium ion buses have more power.

Looking closely it makes sense. They basically make all of the same stops except for the Madison Avenue stop. Just a local bus that allows you to pay before boarding, but it should help speed things up. B/Os get stuck with people running for the bus way too often on that line, especially at 7th Avenue. They need this on the M23 and M42 as well.

And will both the M34 and M34A get artics?

I think it's needed on the M14, M23, and M42. And yes, eventually the line is supposed to get artics. The M16/34 (now M34A/34 SBS) are interlined and it is the same route with 2 different western terminals. The use the same buses.

No local bus service on 34th Street. All service uses POP.

I mean if the +SBS+ is like a limited, what stops can you really skip on 34th Street (or any crosstown route for that matter)

The 34th Street SBS is a local POP service. The Bx12 and M15 SBS are limited POP service lines.

I think they should call this something else because it is not Select Bus service. For some reason I get irked by the idea. It's like they're trying to prop this up as the next big thing. How much time do they propose this saving anyway??

It's BRT no matter how you slice it, which is called SBS in New York.

LOL... So basically let's give them the illusion of faster service... :( I would not roll this out until artics were on the line. I can see the mess now. Those NGs are just too small. The artics would allow more people to get off quicker and board quicker as well. I use the lines from time to time and I try to avoid them for that reason. All of those people standing in the exit door because there's nowhere else to stand and they'll have to get off and then get on again, so I'm not sure how this will speed things up.

It's not an illusion. SBS does speed things up. Even if it is only slightly. There is no point in waiting until artics arrive for the line. It needs SBS right now.

Agreed. Seeing as how the only thing changing now is the fare collection method, any problems or things like that will still remain.

Maybe the M34 SBS should have been held off until Quill gets its new artics after all. But M34 SBS has been delayed for a while now, and I'm guessing the (MTA) wanted to have an SBS route in 2011.

If everything had went without delay, the M15 SBS would've started up in 2009, the M34 last year, the B44 now, and the S79 next year or 2013.

Yeah, no point in delaying things more than they have been already.

I think it's needed on the M14, M23, and M42. And yes, eventually the line is supposed to get artics. The M16/34 (now M34A/34 SBS) are interlined and it is the same route with 2 different western terminals. The use the same buses.

So folks will be able to board from the back on those buses too? I'm wondering because I can see that being an issue on those buses.

It's not an illusion. SBS does speed things up. Even if it is only slightly. There is no point in waiting until artics arrive for the line. It needs SBS right now.

With artics it does, yes. With NGs I don't think so and if it does it is indeed just slightly. It needs to be more organized in order to see any real time difference IMO.

It's actually not that complicated, SBS is a way to introduce POP which does speed things up (on 40-footers AND 60-footers) and drive more riders to the service. It's perfectly well-organized and on crosstowns especially, paying on the bus takes a long time, and that's not a problem with SBS. I don't get your beef with this.

The pay before you board is fine. I just don't see any real time saved with using NGs... I imagine that people will be able to exit and enter from both doors, which I see being a problem. Buses are just too small. With the artics it would work better.

The pay before you board is fine. I just don't see any real time saved with using NGs... I imagine that people will be able to exit and enter from both doors, which I see being a problem. Buses are just too small. With the artics it would work better.

SBS attracts more riders. Before SBS came to the M15 I would've never even considered taking the limited for any distance over a mile, but now I'm fine with taking a crosstown bus from Midtown to 1st (rather than Park), and getting the SBS from there rather than taking the train and getting a crosstown bus on the Upper East Side.

It's all an illusion and a gimmick. It really only saves me an average of 2-3 minutes now with SBS than the limited, but the fact that they consider it to be bus rapid transit is enough, and the ridership levels show that. The SBS on 34th Street will probably get some more riders that currently walk.

I don't see a point in waiting for artics, though. I mean the fact that people can board through the back door and don't have to pay one at a time will save time right there. It won't be as much as if they had artics, but it'll still be better than the current situation.

Just one thing: On the NGs, I assume the B/O can manually hold the doors open, right (I mean hold a button and keep them open, rather than having people pushing). I can imagine a Manhattan rider getting all frantic because the door closed on their body.

Archived