MTA has whisper campaign to quiet buses, reduce city's noise level

Harry

The streets of New York will get quieter after the MTA sends out 6,000 buses that don't belch or beep so loudly.

Over the next few years, every bus will be outfitted with a muffler to soften the noisy blast of air released from the suspension systems at bus stops, officials said.

And the volume will be turned down on the alarm alerting riders that the floor is being lowered for easier boarding and exiting, said Daniel Cardoza, assistant chief maintenance officer at the NYC Transit division.

"Quiet buses? I've been waiting 13 years for that," said Robert Gyatso, 42, whose second-floor apartment on Broadway overlooks a bus stop. "The worst part is the beeping when the bus goes up and down."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/10/29/2010-10-29_mta_whisper_campaign_to_quiet_buses.html#ixzz13kc86TR5

post-1-133288582248_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288582248_thumb.jpg

smh MTA, wasting even more money on useless crap...the kneeler noise is not that loud.

Except the 2003-2004 Oreo VII CNG kneeler sound is like someone blowing a tissue very loud or farted in unique disturbing noise with sirens to warn stay way back.

smh MTA, wasting even more money on useless crap...the kneeler noise is not that loud.

You dont fan Manhattan buses that much.

All the early O7s make that terrible noise, CNGs and Hybrids. That could certainly be improved, but it's such a trivial problem...

Agreed. Shoot, that was probably the best way to tell if a bus was coming, the kneeler on the 6300-6400/7500-7600 series Hybrid/CNG. Especially around 5th Avenue, the noise just echos as if it was some sort of fart or whatever. Some of the NGs are developing those sounds too.

The noise ain't that bad depending on where you live but where I live ain't nothing over here but Orion V Diesel/CNG,Orion VII CNG/NG and a spotty NewFlyer-Artic.I live by the BX3/11/13/35/36LTD and every night its quiet I hear Orion VII CNG's being floored roaring yea it disturubs my sleep but its not bad.And I agree with the rest of you it is a waste of money the Orion VII CNG's to me are the loudest when they kneel down but the roaring I don't mind.

The noise ain't that bad depending on where you live but where I live ain't nothing over here but Orion V Diesel/CNG,Orion VII CNG/NG and a spotty NewFlyer-Artic.I live by the BX3/11/13/35/36LTD and every night its quiet I hear Orion VII CNG's being floored roaring yea it disturubs my sleep but its not bad.And I agree with the rest of you it is a waste of money the Orion VII CNG's to me are the loudest when they kneel down but the roaring I don't mind.

The muffler installation has nothing to do with the engine (roaring and such), its all about the air releases and kneeling sounds, I dont think some of you read this article clearly...

if the MTA wants to make things quiet for riders on there buses, they should shut up that lady up behind me that's talking about nothing for 45 mins. All joking aside they should do something about the HVAC systems on the Orion Hybrids there are so loud. Wish that someone would do some type of decibel test cause years of hearing that with out hearing protection can do permanent damage

if the MTA wants to make things quiet for riders on there buses, they should shut up that lady up behind me that's talking about nothing for 45 mins. All joking aside they should do something about the HVAC systems on the Orion Hybrids there are so loud. Wish that someone would do some type of decibel test cause years of hearing that with out hearing protection can do permanent damage

I can't Stand That HVAC system, I wish they could replace that.

Archived