Most annoying subway beggars

lilbluefoxie

I think the entire NYC Subway System, the LIRR, and the MNRR should be handed over to the Port Authority. At least they are making money with their HBLR, NLR, and PATH while we are crying broke, and if it isn't handed to the Port Authority it should be privatized, and operate as one giant private company which would own the NYC Subway, LIRR, and MNRR.

LOL talk about not knowing who owns , who. The PA only owns the Bridges & Tunnels , PATH and Ports. NJT owns the NLR and HBLR , the NLR loses less money then the HBLR but gets half the ridership.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A) The "homeless" person who claims to have some sort of sickness and rambles on about his/her current life story and asks for some form of charity

B) The "performer" who actually switches cars to play whatever cheap instrument is in their pockets and mumble some weird ass lyrics AND walk around the car asking for money

C) Your regular bootleg DVD merchant

I don't mind the candy sellers but my sweet tooth isn't quite what it used to be back in my days as a child, plus I can get candy bars cheaper somewhere else usually... Back in my high school when the sports teams were raising money with the fund raiser boxes (which they were only allowed to be sold in the school) some clever students would take the empty boxes and buy candy to fill them and earn a little profit on the side.

I ignore the requests for money. I'm forced to listen to them, but when they come over to me for money, I just stare them in the face and after only seconds, they get the message.

In all of my years working in the IRT I think I've come across all types of beggars. I've seen the verbally abusive types, the acrobats, singers, salespeople, and the BSers. I've been annoyed, shocked and even amused at some of their actions. We had a woman ,with her children, walking through the cars on the Lexington Avenue express as the train sped uptown. She claimed that she was homeless and needed money for her and her children to have a place to stay overnights. I know this city can be heartless and arbitrary at times but there is NO WAY if the story was true that some agency out there that wouldn't help her. I took an immediate dislike to her and her game w/ the children. I used to lock the storm doors between the cars when I saw her coming, not so much to hurt her, but because of her dangerous actions moving those children between cars of a moving train. There were two people who I really liked to see. Back in the 80's there was a guy who used to ride the 7th Ave lines in the evening. This guy " played " the saxophone somewhat. He would come into a car and begin playing the most outrageous notes that people would give him money just to shut him up and get him to move on to the next car. I got wise to his game and he knew it. He used to wink at me as he moved on. When I got promoted to M/M he saw me one day and congratulated me. My all-time favorite worked the Lexington Ave express in the evenings from my redbird days until my final days on the NTT. He'd get on the train around 125th St s/b or at least that's when I'd notice him. If we were waiting on a downtown (6) he'd make an announcement that "we're being held by the dispatcher" or words to that effect. When the NTT came along he'd announce " stand clear of the closing doors, please " and give the door chimes sound. Between stops he had some funny spiel where he'd tell people he spoke Chinese like " won ton, egg drop, or chow mein". His French usually included words like " madame, mayonnaise, and french fries". His Espanol consisted of "mamacita, dinero and cerveza". When he usually got off at 14th St-Union Square most of the time the riders were laughing with him and the other riders who stayed on and , at least to me, made that last trip to Utica Avenue that much easier. In retrospect I do miss some of the characters I've carried through the years.

This what makes NYC transit different. The underground world that had stores, people,graffiti and trains.

I miss this stuff. If you never experienced this then you missed the real NYC.

Just like 42nd st Times Sq now, so boring! 70s and 80s man it was a world to see.

In this day and time, I hope nobody here loses their job or mind. It can be you.

Ive met some of the coolest people (beggars, homeless as you call them). One fought in two wars , one danced at the Cotton Club in the 30s, one was a teacher with a PHD. They all had problems and that took over their life, they were like everyday people until that one thing or things was too great for them to bear.

S/F,

CEYA!

Guest lance25
This what makes NYC transit different. The underground world that had stores, people,graffiti and trains.

I miss this stuff. If you never experienced this then you missed the real NYC.

Just like 42nd st Times Sq now, so boring! 70s and 80s man it was a world to see.

Times Sq might be "boring" now, but at least it's much safer than it was some 30 years or so ago. Same thing with the train; they may not be as colorful with their bland designs and lack of graffiti, but you can get quite a few more runs out of them without the trains breaking down mid-route as was common in the '70s and '80s.

Times Sq might be "boring" now, but at least it's much safer than it was some 30 years or so ago. Same thing with the train; they may not be as colorful with their bland designs and lack of graffiti, but you can get quite a few more runs out of them without the trains breaking down mid-route as was common in the '70s and '80s.

I rather ( remember I used the term "I") have that old coal miner and any other train back then than now. Look how old those trains were and yet even when broken down they commanded respect. Seeing how each one was different, the conductor standing on the outside , then on the inside, then hearing that ding dong on the INDs.

Now with 42nd, tell all of those Mom and Pop stores that litter the street that had to go. You knew people by names, watch them grow up or watch you grow up.

You can have the corporate look, I like the New York that people always went to see. You and your buds were going out, it was "Im headed to the City". Even though I also lived in Hell's Kitchen so it was going down the block.

As you look in bland black and white, i'll remember in color what was a last good times in the city.

S/F,

CEYA!

The top 3 I pick are

3 The One Candy Kid Wearing Socks and Sandals.

2 That one Person (Not to be Racist) Ex: Chinese Women With Kids And They Got Nasty Moose teeth :cry: "Vomiting" telling you to move over when you have a tiny space in your seat Then they keep looking at you when you move.

And Last but most certainly not least 1 that one fat Bum/ Smelly bum that comes and I move my stuff over and they move they're lips in a Chewing position and give you the Stinkface with their Eye looks.

A) The "homeless" person who claims to have some sort of sickness and rambles on about his/her current life story and asks for some form of charity

:P The "performer" who actually switches cars to play whatever cheap instrument is in their pockets and mumble some weird ass lyrics AND walk around the car asking for money

I don't mind the candy sellers but my sweet tooth isn't quite what it used to be back in my days as a child, plus I can get candy bars cheaper somewhere else usually... Back in my high school when the sports teams were raising money with the fund raiser boxes (which they were only allowed to be sold in the school) some clever students would take the empty boxes and buy candy to fill them and earn a little profit on the side.

You mean the Chinese Ladies that say DDD INSTEAD OF DVD

Growing up, there used to be a guy standing by the Bay Parkway D train station (oudside, by the stairs), with a box in front of him, and he'd rock back and forth and sing. My father used to tell me he's been doing that since he was younger! I used to always give him a quarter when I passed by...

:( The "performer" who actually switches cars to play whatever cheap instrument is in their pockets and mumble some weird ass lyrics AND walk around the car asking for money

Some of the Hormonicas sound pretty good for a homeless person.

And yes the DVD are horrible. As they say it "DDD".

I usually hate panhandlers/beggars who are not on the train but go in Bryant Park and Union Sq and ask for money.

I was in the Lexington Ave/53rd Street station and there was a young pregnant woman sitting down and the sign said "I'm pregnant and my boyfriend left me" or something like that and that she needs to go to California. IDK if it was a scam or not, but I gave her a dollar.

On the subject of performers.... The man with the awful electronic clarinet who I see boarding the downtown (4) at 86th St and plays at an ear piercing volume on his way to his usual spot at the 59th St-Lex station.

The guy on the N train says that he's a kids baskbetball coach and keeping the kids out of trouble. "If you don't have change, have a smile"

most annoying beggars, in no order....

1) the "breakdancers"

2) the "instrumentalists/musicians"

3) the storytellers

4) the broke-down preachers

5) the ones that act like they don't want to you shell out some money, w/e their choice of hustle is (including the 4 I listed above)

6) the ones that use living props (meaning a dog, or a child) to play on your emotions

7) the ones bold enough to ask for "a dollar"...

8) the ones in major stations that assist you in using the MVM's/TVM's, and afterwards, ask for a "lil some'n to help me out".... ufck you, I don't want your "help"...

those can turn into full-fledged thieves if you're not careful....

finally:

9) the ones that are more well off than I am !!!

Well, I have a list of quite recent annoyances..

1. Some crazy, old lady standing in the middle of the hustle in Flushing-Main, squawking the same words over and over again.... "Won Dolla! Won Dolla! Won Dollaaaaa...".... the funny part, was that she LITERALLY sounded like a squawking bird....

2. A group of kids on the (A), who did a series of stupid dancing, yelling stuff like 'half-man, half-amazing! This is how he showers!... [does stupid pole move]'. They asked for money, telling us they needed it for their.... you guessed it, sports team... the one who was dancing actually scared us for a second, because he stomped so hard on the flooring, the train jerked a bit, while we were cruising down the 125-59th street express run.:tdown:

3. The usual group of mexican singers, who get up in your face, demanding money, before you switch cars out of plain annoyance...

These are my most recent experiences with them.

i was on the (5) express once in the bronx and a drunk guy gets on. he can barely walk, his clothes are filthy and says "ill dance for a dollar" he starts dancing in the middle of the car and when the train took the middle track and switched tracks he got dizzy and he threw up in the car. the guy says "oh im sorry" gets on his knee and with his jacket starts cleaning it up then when hes done he says "i danced and cleaned it up. can i get my dollar now" people just got pissed and he got arrested at the next station for disorderly conduct in public and "disturbing the peace" that car reeked of vomit until the last stop. :eek:

The two that I hate the most are:

1) Break-dancers. I saw one a few weeks ago that nailed some lady in the face when the train bumped to the side.

2) Accordion players. One was playing on the platform at 6:45 am the other day, and I swear if I had to wait a minute longer on that platform I would have lost it, lol.

And I don't know if he's been mentioned, but is anyone familiar with the guy who carries the guitar with an amp on a strap around his shoulder, and he has a microphone duck taped to a huge metal contraption next to his mouth. He's always on the G train and pretty much exclusively sings Knockin' on Heaven's Door.

edited to add I found a video of the guy on youtube. Skip to 1:52 for the best shot haha.

I was on the (2) one time back in April, and there was a man that got on, and he started talking to the whole car explaining how he needed money and then started going up to passengers and asking them for some money, then he would go to the next car by walking between cars while the train was still moving and do the exact same thing. That was the only time I ever saw him on the (2), and I don't think that I have seen him anywhere else.

I was on the (2) one time back in April, and there was a man that got on, and he started talking to the whole car explaining how he needed money and then started going up to passengers and asking them for some money, then he would go to the next car by walking between cars while the train was still moving and do the exact same thing. That was the only time I ever saw him on the (2), and I don't think that I have seen him anywhere else.

i saw a man just like that on the (2) in the bronx. he would walk from car to car talking some random crap and ask for money

There was a homeless guy who did standup on the (F) about 15 or so years ago. His best line was when he reminded everyone to take their trash off the train when exiting because he had company coming over at the next stop.

I caught him on the (D) a couple of weeks ago.....

I've seen a few annoying ones in my time.

1. The mariachi singers. I see 'em all OVER the place. And almost all of them are terrible.

2. There was this one old black dude that acted like he had Tourette's Syndrome. He claimed that Mayor Bloomber stole some $10 million dollars from him and used every swearword on the table, such as mother…, and others that are so graphic, that *I* can't post 'em here.

3. He's usually outside the subway, but he would sit by the stairs with one pant leg rolled up to show some disgusting pink under-flesh. He would act like he was in constant agony and rock back and forth. I give him nothing, and he fakes his pain; I saw him talk with a companion with no limp, no voice in agony. :angry:

4. These damn religious preachers. I don't care what God you preach, just don't annoy us by doing it in my subway.

5. The "WHO" you-know-what. They're still around in the subway, but not so actively unlike before.

Archived