Brave local man makes it to work on time - after heroically saving man sprawled on No. 6 track

Broadway Local

An East Harlem man was being hailed as a subway hero for pulling a straphanger off the tracks Sunday, saving him from being crushed by a train.

Lifesaver Carlos Flores, 36, said a combination of benevolence and not wanting to miss an overtime shift at his grocery store job prompted his derring-do.

"I was thinking, if he gets hit I can't go to work. It's Sunday. I can't miss out. It's a time-and-a-half day," Flores told the Daily News.

The heroic feat unfolded about 8 a.m. as Flores was waiting for a downtown No. (6) train at a crowded E. 103rd St. station.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/11/29/2010-11-29_brave_local_man_makes_it_to_work_on_time__after_heroically_saving_man_sprawled_o.html#ixzz16s7H3i36

post-3605-133288582286_thumb.jpg

post-3605-133288582286_thumb.jpg

He couldn't think of a much less ignorant comment to say?

"Ignorant" has to be one of the most incorrectly used words in the English language. In fact, your use of the word "ignorant" in that sentence is the only ignorance that we have here.

Simply put (just in case you were a little confused), his comment was not ignorant at all. His comment was honest and realistic, not "ignorant".

its funny he used the countdown clocks that is working at this station too know how long for the next train and did it in 3 mins

And that clock could have been wrong and both of them would have gotten hit, sending a T/O and possibly the C/R to go piss in a cup....

Yeah the Lexington Avenue Line is one of the most crowded subway lines in the entire New York City Subway System. That could be one of the main reasons, and you are correct about that. The problem is that this problem won't get any better unless they build the Second Avenue Subway. Which might never happen like we said people have been waiting for one for 80 years, and what is going to make the next 80 years any different. Maybe Second Avenue is never going to exist. Why make the mistake of tearing down the Second and Third Avenue Elevated. You would just have serious overcrowding on the Lexington Avenue Line, and if more people come to live in New York, and with more kids being born these days Lexington Avenue is going to be a nightmare another 50 years from now, and the 12-9's and people falling on the tracks on the Lexington Avenue Line would become more common. Unless if they complete Second Avenue which would never happen.

"Ignorant" has to be one of the most incorrectly used words in the English language. In fact, your use of the word "ignorant" in that sentence is the only ignorance that we have here.

Simply put (just in case you were a little confused), his comment was not ignorant at all. His comment was honest and realistic, not "ignorant".

I stand corrected.

lets pull out some facts:

-Crowded subway platform on Lexington Av line

-Guy falls into to tracks because it is very crowded.

We Need The (T)!

but Im at least glad that his life was saved. A 12-9 happened on the (7) @ 82 Street about a month ago, a lady dropped her cellphone into the tracks, and went to get it.

I was stuck @ Main St for 2 hours. I don't get it people still go into the tracks if they drop stuff in there sometimes even though signs say that "you are risking your life". so stupid.

lets pull out some facts:

-Guy falls into to tracks because it is very crowded.

Looks like you did not read the article because it doesn't mention that the guy fell on the tracks due to a crowded station.

Parker said the rescued man, whose name was not immediately released, had apparently fainted. He was taken to Harlem Hospital.

"We are glad that everything worked out well this time," said Carmen Bianco, NYC Transit senior vice president for subways, cautioning that "we discourage anyone from jumping to the roadbed."

A Fire Department source said the man tumbled onto the tracks after apparently suffering a seizure.

they might have to invest in those platform doors like they have in London and singapore like this:

singapore7.jpg

A lot of people say it's not possible for various reasons, but the fact is there are no leaders willing to invest time, money, and effort into making it happen even after all these preventable deaths.

Platform doors here will never work. Imagine platform doors on Lexington Av, on stations like 68th Street....nuff said.

There are train stations that have way more riders or issues than any Lexington Av station you can name you ever rode a subway in Japan, Hong Kong, or Singapore. The only reason this wont happen is because of money.

Platform doors here will never work. Imagine platform doors on Lexington Av, on stations like 68th Street....nuff said.

I can see it now. I see people trying to hold those screen doors trying to catch the train before it's leaving. This would result in trains having to skip stations because the screen doors would have to be repaired.

Archived