Should MTA buses accept dollar bills

akamtabx36

The new machines hardly ever accept wrinkled, or faded bills. They are more vending machine like now. They also have a coin return, and won't accept damaged coins.

The ones on the buses werent the same though. It would accept bills that werent in the greatest condition. But I've noticed the MVM have taken bills that alot of other machines rejected. Its seemed the one on the buses were not that picky as long as the combination of sensors can approve the bill. Mostly it picks up resistence of the ink on the bill as well as where the magnetic ink in the bill is concentrated. Alot of bill accpeting machines reject the bills because of wrinkles, crinkles and excessive worn bills. Not sure why the bus bill mechanisms would accept alot of tough looking bills but I remember it definatly wasnt as picky as a soda machine bill accepter. My guess is it had all three bill verifying mechanisms and as long as (x) amount of them were verified it would accept it.

The ones on the buses werent the same though. It would accept bills that werent in the greatest condition. But I've noticed the MVM have taken bills that alot of other machines rejected. Its seemed the one on the buses were not that picky as long as the combination of sensors can approve the bill. Mostly it picks up resistence of the ink on the bill as well as where the magnetic ink in the bill is concentrated. Alot of bill accpeting machines reject the bills because of wrinkles, crinkles and excessive worn bills. Not sure why the bus bill mechanisms would accept alot of tough looking bills but I remember it definatly wasnt as picky as a soda machine bill accepter. My guess is it had all three bill verifying mechanisms and as long as (x) amount of them were verified it would accept it.

The old GFI boxes would accept virtually anything. The new ones have only been out like 6 or 7 years IIRC. The pbl's had the old ones.

Come on now, let's put on our thinking caps. The bills are inserted into the farebox man. Who in their right mind would have a separate box for bills???

Didn't Bee-Line, and/or Liberty have that? (until they adopted the Metrocard system) I know I used to see a separate bill collector on one of those, and wonder why we couldn't do it.

Speaking of expired cards, I was so pissed off that I found a card that expired 10/31/08 [or 2 yrs 1+ month late]. I found it this month while reorganizing my shelf. Do I have a chance to get reembursed for that card? I think it had like $16 left.

Try taking it to a vending machine and see if you can transfer the money onto a new card. That always works for me. (Note: use the small MVMs, they do the trade in, for some reason the big ones don't).

Didn't Bee-Line, and/or Liberty have that? (until they adopted the Metrocard system) I know I used to see a separate bill collector on one of those, and wonder why we couldn't do it.

Yep, they had the GFI boxes before they went to metrocard. There is a slot for coins, and a slot for bills. There are different types. Some have separate bill collectors or transfer dispensers, but its all connected to the same farebox.

I wouldn't like using dollar bills to pay a fare. NJT's fare boxes are already a trip trying to slide that damn dollar in there...

What we need is SMART CARDS.

I agree with you.

When I used buses on NJ Transit, Connecticut (HART, CT Transit, GBTA, Suffolk County Transit, well as on Vending Machine, if dollar bills are not straight, it doesn't go into farebox or vending machine.

Yes Bee-Line Buses, former seven private bus companies, New York Bus Service, Green Bus Line, Command Bus Line, Jamaica Bus Line, Liberty Lines Express, Triboro Coach Company, Queens Surface Corporation could paid with dollar bills.

To my opionion, Smarlink Card should be free to purchase and it should be regional Smartlink Card for PATH and MTA Systems.

I ask M79/M14 and 100 St Depot B/Os, PATH if anyone's taking advantage of NJ&NY Regional Travel Trail and some of them say yes.

I think the MTA should take dollar bills on the bus for a fare because lots of people who dont have a metrocard end up having to get off. in Connecticut they do it why not here

If fareboxes on buses in Long Beach, CA can take dollar bills, then fareboxes on buses in the "greatest city" in the world can certainly be made to take dollar bills.

LA County pwns NY's (MTA) here. Nevermind the $1.25 base LBT bus fare:cool:

I think this hole discussion of Buses accepting bills is taking a step backwards in Time...I mean lets bring back the token while we're at it.

Accepting bills will cause Lazyness in people to keep on top of their Metrocard balances and play the whole "I'm short on cash today" game....while holding up the lines to board...some of these bus routes have ridiculously long lines at the stops as it is....

Keep your Metrocard filled and you dont have the problem of looking for change....If anything we need to still teach people to HAVE YOUR FIGGING CARD OUT READY TO GO!! Nothing Pisses me off more than these woman fumbling around in their purses after they start to board the bus

I think this hole discussion of Buses accepting bills is taking a step backwards in Time...I mean lets bring back the token while we're at it.

Accepting bills will cause Lazyness in people to keep on top of their Metrocard balances and play the whole "I'm short on cash today" game....while holding up the lines to board...some of these bus routes have ridiculously long lines at the stops as it is....

Keep your Metrocard filled and you dont have the problem of looking for change....If anything we need to still teach people to HAVE YOUR FIGGING CARD OUT READY TO GO!! Nothing Pisses me off more than these woman fumbling around in their purses after they start to board the bus

I still think they should bring back the token....

As long as buses accept coins, they'll always play that game you speak of... some farebeaters got it down to a science, of which I wont elaborate on... to encourage any lurkers that maybe looking for ways to pinch a few pennies....

It's almost like I can hear the "damn" responses out of them through the screen... haha....

No! Hard enough for people to pull out Metrocards and change add a dollar bill to the mix and look out!!! I can hear it now....Does anybody have change for a 20? Sorry man nobody has change..... = Yawn by me.

People will try to rob the whole fare box.....come on the bus with a ski mask and be like ok this is a stick up! Please hand over the fare box....then I would be like hope you got a truck and a chain....try to pull it off... j/k but I am sure some stupid crap would happen with the fare box full of dollor bills.....

I think the MTA should take dollar bills on the bus for a fare because lots of people who dont have a metrocard end up having to get off. in Connecticut they do it why not here

No.

1) Too many people. Potential for them to start fumbling at the doorway for cash

2) That presents a whole new set of problems. Jams.

3) Doesn't stop people from farebeating.

4) The cost of the project

i like the idea of tokens but what about at SBS stops? i think SBS fare machines should take bills.

i like the idea of tokens but what about at SBS stops? i think SBS fare machines should take bills.

I thought the TVM's @ +SBS+ stops should've accepted bills from jump....

No insertion of coins, just bills...

Not for purchasing a new metrocard, just for refilling a prior one...

this way, say for example you have an empty metro (or feel as if you have insufficient funds on it)... you can go up to it, drop a 5 dollar bill, and that would be that...

There would be no numerical keypad to punch in the (exact) amount you want to put on the card, just a 'yes' button on the side somewhere you can press after you finished inserting as many bills (I'd put a cap on it @ no more than 5 singles, no more than [4] $5's, [2] $10's, and [1] $20) before your transaction is complete

In a way, this would kill long lines @ TVM's in train stations too....

In exchange for their low base fare and advanced technology, they probably have worse service than we do. (Though for $1.25 a pop, I wouldn't mind putting up with it)

No, LBT`s bus service was pretty decent. LBT fareboxes take coins, dollar bills, Day Passes {their MetroCard}, & transfers from other TAs.

LA County has pretty good & :cool: mass transit in general.

Neighboring Orange County seems to too.

I need to do an OP down on the RTA board about LBT.

Try taking it to a vending machine and see if you can transfer the money onto a new card. That always works for me. (Note: use the small MVMs, they do the trade in, for some reason the big ones don't).

MVMs (big or small) will only trade in an expired card of 1 year or less.

1 to 2 years expired must be mailed in.

Over 2 years, you're out of luck.

Archived